1222.2b The Fall of Night

[spoiler]WTOW![/spoiler]

Round Two (Ivor MacBride)
Ivor hears the explosions and runs out of the outhouse, still fastening his belt as he moves. Of course, the one time I absolutely have to take a leak, all hell breaks loose! he thinks.

He wastes no time taking in what happened, and sees Fiona cast a spell with no effect. He reaches her side between Rounds One and Two. "Fiona, I'm here," he says in Scots Gaelic.

[color=blue]"Let me embiggen you, then, lad," she replies.

Once the spell is cast, he assumes a defensive posture at her side, sword and shield drawn, and assesses the situation.

Round Two (Fiona)
Fiona's pretty much exhausted her arsenal of offensive spells with the resisted Curse of Circe, and now she's out of magical ideas.

She will edge closer to Ivor and cast Preternatural Growth and Shrinking on him. She's got a +48+Aura CT, vs. a spell level of 15, so ordinarily it wouldn't need a roll. But since there's combat going on, I'm going to assume that it's a "stress" situation, so here goes: CT 48 + Aura 5 + die roll of 2 = 55, and no botch. So Ivor's now Size +1, and since he's wearing the enchanted armour that grows with him, he's in good shape.

She hears Alexei's question, but doesn't yet answer, as she doesn't know who these people are. She will try an Order of Hermes lore to see if she recognizes them or knows who has this particular m.o. Int 1 + OoH Lore 2 + die roll of 7 = 10.

I dangle prepositions all the time. I tend to write colloquially for the forums. :stuck_out_tongue:
Regulus and the spirit fought. Regulus won, but was weakened and distracted by the battle, when it was over one of the magi in black stomped him with his boot, but Regulus was too tired to evade the boot.

A perfectly cromulent word.
Time for giant tossing into parapet from the courtyard below?

So, Thera can completely block access between Apollodorus, Alexei and Deykin and the three magi in black. They'll be between the webs and the open wall. At this time (round 1) their back is to Thera, and Apollodorus's group. So I'll say you did it then, for maximum suprise.

Block access? She's trying to trap the MiBs with the webs, at the most opportune moment of surprise, not block off the two groups from each other.

Well they will be between the web and an opening 50 feet above the ground. Yo can also throw it over them.

((Sorry, I still don't know where they are positioned with regards to Alexei. If they are visible and within 50 paces that's fine. Alexei will be teleporting to one of the black robed magi that isn't Valerian.))

"I rescind your invitation! The full Aegis is upon you!" He calls to them as he readies to leap by one of them.

((It might make them laugh, but you never know, might as well be thorough and be sure that any loopholes are closed))

As soon as I can resolve Thera's action you can get into the mix. You may decide not to teleport...

I thought I wrote this, but It looks like I sent it via a PM and didn't repeat it here. Apollodorus Alexei and Deykin exit his sanctum and down the hallway is the blow out parapet with three figures in black. That kind of brings Alexei, Apollodorus and Deykin to the end of round 1 (no additional actions), but then they didn't take any actions, either. Theraposa is behind your group, but no one sees here (I did awareness rolls on players behalf).

Jacques will try to cast Trap of the Entwining Vines (CrHe 15) on them

1d10=4 + 23 = 27 (12 in penetration)

Since this option has opened up, what with Trap of the Entwining Vines and Theraphosa's Weaver's Trap of Webs, I'm going to do the following.

Round 1: the webs are cast around the three magi in black,
Round 2 Trap of the Entwining Vines surrounds them as well (this spell works like Weaver's Trap of Webs, future castings of both spells may require finesse; I think we can discuss it in the OCC secion).

I need intiatives for Ivor and Deykin, as well as their round 2 actions.

Alexei probably doesn't want to leap into a group entangled in webs (the vines will happen after Alexei leaps, and he'll be stuck in that, definitely. So, we'll inject a bit of narrative into the battle scene and pick up in a bit.

"Valerian, I suggest you leave, you've already failed in your objective. You might yet save your House and hold true to the Order you took an oath to protect. While you and your House might have prepared for my eventual return, I've been preparing the rest of the Order for it, as well. You see I came to a conclusion long ago, that one can survive only so many attempts on one's life. Over 50 years ago, at the last attempt on my life, I decided I needed to disappear and changed my tactics. You see, Valerian, I am quite prepared to die today."

One of the magi besides Valerian speaks, "You said this would be a simple mission, in and out, recover the books and be gone. You didn't say anything about anyone but mundanes dying or killing another magus. You said the covenant was empty!" The last sentence is hissed out.

"Come now, Valerian, you didn't tell them the real mission? That he intended to kill me? That his goal was to enter my sanctum, retrieve an arcane connection to me and kill me? Just had a slight problem there, didn't you? I don't suppose you told them who I really am, or what books they were supposedly looking for, did you? Your reputation really does preceed you, my dear boy. Very well, I was gauntleted Xenophon of Tremere. About 50 years ago members of House Guernicus attempted to assassinate me for research I'd been conducting, authenticating the Duresca scrolls. At that time, it was the third attempt on my life, and it was decided that I would assume a new identity. Just so that's all clear, and everyone knows why we're here. They, or at least he Apollodorus/Xenophon points at Valerian, "is here to kill me. Everyone else is here because there should be witnesses to such a momentous event, understanding that House Guernicus assassinates those who get to close to the Truth about their House. Poena's been alerted, and I expect she'll be in Durenmar any moment now. Of course Andru was here when you arrived, but I suspect the blasting of the parapet alerted him to something else going wrong. Garus has never trusted House Guernicus as much as House Guernicus would've liked. You might be suprised to know I had something to do with that, well, actually, credit goes to the lovely Carmine. So now, Valerian, the only thing left for you here is revenge. Come get it." All of that goes out loud enough for everyone to hear, including those in the courtyard below.

We are at iniatiave point 5, and Alexei's action has been deferred. Once I'm clearer on what Alexei and everyone else are doing, I'll resolve the action to follow.

((Alexei is not about to teleport down into those vines and webs, and is lousy at magic that goes beyond Touch range, so he'll wait. Based on what he says there might be a roll, such as Leadership or something as he tries to intimidate the group, but I'm at work and can't roll))

It has been remarked at times that Alexei is a bit...obtuse, perhaps not as questioning as he could be. Some have even said he's downright dense. Any such qualities though seem to fade as he (finally) begins to understand some of what is going on. Apollodorus/Xenophon's speech would seem outrageous except for the looks on the conspirators faces as Valerian is called out. Alexei seems to be in a towering rage at how his honor and ambitions have been used by the likes of Valerian.

"You are a base assassin and killer Valerian! We will be requited for the damage done to our home and person! I will be requited for your manipulations of me! Those with Valerian, stand down now! I am Alexei Von Kroitsau ex Flambeau! As a Milites I will allow you to surrender! If you do not, you will share Valerian's fate!"

Go ahead and roll. In pbp it never hurts to make the roll. You've got a shot, but not much of one.

((OK, I'll get that later today, I can't access the site right now. If you want to roll go ahead. Alexei would spend a Confidence point if it requires it to succeed, if he's within 3 in other words.))

With nothing else to do. Jacques will wait to see if they surrender or retreat. If not, he will keep shooting arrows at them. perhaps he gets lucky.

Oh. Right.

Ivor: Qik 2 + Weapon Modifier 2 – Enc 0 + die roll of 5 = 9. Round 2, he is going to let Fiona cast Preternatural Growth and Shrinking on him.

Deykin's is still Qik 1 + Weapon 1 - Enc 2 + die roll of 1 (followed by die roll of 4, for a total of 8 ) = 8, unless you want me to reroll for the change of venue or something. His action is to draw his sword and to interpose himself between Apollodorus, the man he has promised to protect, and his would-be assassins.

There's luck and then there's being able to overcome their defenses because they have too many other things to worry about... so their ability to dodge arrows isn't limitless.

((Presence + Leadership roll:

1d10+3 → [8,3] = (11) 11
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3388315/
Not bad))

Okay, the resolution you came up with works. I see where the communication issue happened with Thera's actions, and will try to remember it for the future (in essence: I need to talk in rounds, not general combat-long tactics).

Thera continues to hide in shadows, and makes Magic Theory rolls while studying the invading magi, seeking clues about their cabilities, active spells, etc. She'll make one roll per round.

During round 2, she'll focus on Valerian, since the general air seems to be that she'll need to kill him someday.

I'm really disinclined to take strategic direction from players, and will err on the side of caution and get a better idea of what they want to do, if I need to provide more information, or narrow the scope of available action, tht's what's going to happen. Saying, I want to cast the net on them to immbolize gives me a clear idea of intent. I can then take that player intent and craft it into a bit of narrative. Asking for additional details has a tendency to slow combat/enemy encounters down, and I'm interested in streamlining it as much as possible.

qcipher: for Alexei: you indicated you might be willing to spend a confidence point. You can get one of them to flee if you do so.

((Consider it spent. Alexei would love to be able to say later on: "One of the conspirators fled once he knew Alexei von Kroitsau was there!"))