1222.etc 100 Pieces of Mons Electi

She chitters loudly, revealing a mouth full of fangs. "Ah, for the eagerness of youth. Nae, my child, such an obvious move will never yield your goal. Tell me, are you familiar with chess? There is purported to be a magnificent board nearby, all the better to show you some more effective moves..."

(OOC: Dammit, I really am going to have to watch Dangerous Liasons, as research.)

((Because an apprentice can never be left to his own devices for long, and since PB wasn't specific, we'll assume this is when Fiona and Laetitia are away. And Ulrich has had far too much latitude, he's going to be finding his world is about to change again.))

A slender figure bursts in on the pair before much more can be said, "Ulrich, come with me, I have need of my apprentice for the remainder of the season. You can play, later." Ulrich and Thera can both catch the sense of ownership in Tria's voice. Looking at Theraposa, "Give my regards to your mistress and the magi of Mons Electi. Fiona is not about, so I'm reclaiming my apprentice, since the terms of the fosterage contract have been voided. I was told that I could expect Fiona to watch over him when Apollodorus was unavailable."

[color=green]"Not really, no. I know that one of our vis sources is the annual chess game with the gnomes. And I hear that it's quite popular with some magi. I really should learn, though, shouldn't I?" He grins at Thera. [color=green]"I'm told that I can be an eager student."

Theraphosa regards the newcoming magi thoughtfully. "I do not believe we have been formally introduced. My name is Theraphosa, called familiar to Viscaria Verditus according to the laws of your Code. You are the Bonisagus who presumes to walk in and out of other people's security measures without regard for the upset this causes, I believe? Do you have a name you wish me to call you, or shall I simply name you based on your civility and respect for legal procedures, and call you Valerian?"

"Perhaps, while you are attempting to kidnap this young apprentice without mark of investiture, or so much as the common courtesy of announcing yourself to the lords of this manor, you might wish to destroy some of our buildings? That parapet over there seems to be a popular choice.

"And while we are on the subject of gross violations of the Code by self-important magi, might I ask just how you know that neither Appollodorus nor Fiona is available right now? By your manner and your insistence upon speed, it would be easy to assume that you have been scrying upon us.

"I do not know you, madame, and have no way to prove your bonafides. The apprentice is currently under my protection and guidance, while he engages in the work set out for him by his foster parens. We have recently been attacked by parties unknown. You shall not have him, save through proper channels and due consideration by the appropriate legal bodies."

(Ulrich is supposed to be studying from a tome this season.)

[color=green]"But...but..." Ulrich sputters before he finally slouches. [color=green]"Yes, domina. I'll talk to you later, Thera."

As he's led away by Tria, he mutters, [color=green]"Ah, man, I'm never going to find out what 'it' is."

At Thera's protests, he turns to her. [color=green]"It's okay, Thera. This is my domina, Tria scholae Bonisagi. I was simply fostered to Apollodorus before...well, you know. But with him no longer able to see to my education..." He shrugs. [color=green]"I'll write and visit when I can."

"Scrying? I think not. I received this letter from Fiona. She produces the letter for Thera's inspection. " I also have his contract of fosterage. Allow me to highlight the relevant clause. If the death of the fostering magus occurs the master of record must collect the magus within one season. I know about his death because of my amica, Maris, his filius, Exarch of the Tribunal. Truthfully, I don't have to have anyone's permission, and I let a page know to notify Alexei and Fiona of my arrival. Fiona isn't here, and I'm sure Alexei will be along and grouse about my method entry and egress. I also have a right to make unannounced visits, and have an open invitation to come and visit whenever I wish." She points to the relevant clauses detailing her rights. "My name is Tria of Bonisagus, and Ulrich here knows full well who I am. You have no standing under the code, do not interfere."

Thera hisses angrily. "It is most certainly NOT okay, and this is a lesson you should learn well. What proof do you have that this creature is the woman you claim her to be? How do you know she is not a shapeshifter, or a Sidhe Lord come to feast upon your soul? The Code is there for a reason, child, and anyone of the status and favor acclaimed by Tria scholae Bonisagi would understand that. That this creature has presented herself in the manner so at odds with the known behavior of the maga she claims to be should only heighten your wariness, not diminish it.

"There are creatures in this world that can deceive as easily as you breathe, child, and you need to learn how to guard against them."

"All this proves is that you are rude and condescending. The child is under my custody, and you have offered no proof that you are the creature spoken of in these contracts. You are not part of any legal hierarchy that I respond to. If you try to take the child without first confirming your authority to me, I will defend him. This I have been bidden to do by my spirit-sister."

(as a familiar, attacking her counts as attacking the magical power of her mistress, though really the problem here is that Tria has yet to speak the "password" -- Thera isn't going to back down without a covenant member telling her to do so.)

"Do not interfere. Listen to young Ulrich here. I'm well aware of the recent events, that is why I am here. My responsibilities as to young Ulrich here are quite clear. My rights with regards to him are absolute. As to your protection, I can disable you easily enough, do not attempt to interfere. Honestly Thera, you don't recall the times I showed up at Phoenix unannounced? Your mistress never related those events? While my method of arrival wasn't as direct, it happened enough to visit Jammie or Ra'am. I'm going to be come quite cross with you, soon."

Ulrich is going to stand back and let them fight it out.

"Ulrich, come with me." Ulrich has no Mentem score, so has an MR of 0, which Tria easily overcomes, he's compelled to follow Tria. She orders him to follow while walking away.

((Note, if Thera attacks Tria or otherwise interferes with Ulrich following her Tria is within her rights to respond because it is an attack or Thera is depriving a maga of her magical power. Blustering and bluffing was fine, but Tria's calling the bluff. Thera's knowledge of the code is sufficiently high enough she doesn't have legal authority to interfere, and the risk of interfering are extremely high. If she's wrong and this is an imposter, she's not likely to be prosecuted.))

"I do not deny that Tria scholae Bonisagus has the rights you assert, nor that you match her seeming. But many glamours exist which would afford a creature the knowledge and appearance you have shown. You have not proven yourself to be that creature, and your willingness to engage in violence rather than prove your identity only heightens my suspicions. You claim to know of our recent history, are you so surprised that we have heightened our security?

"You are cross? Tell me, how cross would Tria scholae Bonisagus be if she found out that we had allowed her apprentice to be abducted simply because an imposter showed up and insulted one of us until we capitulated?"

(Does she need to display her Aegis token in order to cast that? If not, then Thera will leap to block the doorway and scream "Intruder! Imposter! Guards! Magi, to arms!" If she does, then Thera will do something else)

Thera didn't see any sign of anything being cast. Also, she would probably have to use one of her powers to stop her or Ulrich, can't get past Tria to block the way.

((True, but Tria has actually given up her rights under the Code by failing to identify herself. Difference is, she's so powerful that there's nothing Theraphosa can do about it. We've just been attacked. Thera's suspicion is completely natural, and her original request for identification was almost perfunctory. Thera legitimately believes that this is an imposter attempting to kidnap the apprentice, and Tria's actions have only confirmed her paranoia -- when you're in a clandestine war against Archmagi, the use of passwords and shibboleth is paramount to maintaining security.

She's uncertain enough that she's not willing to risk attacking the maga -- but she's given way too many bad signals here, and Thera feels there's a lesson here, for Ulrich and the covenant as well. Mind you, she's not willing to get squashed to prove the point...))

((Really? She doesn't respond AT ALL to this? Alright, then if Thera can't block the door, she'll leap out a window or something, and raise the alarm. If Tria would really rather butcher our grogs than show her gorram driver's license, then that's something we should know about our "ally."))

"Intruder! Imposter! Guards! Magi, to arms!"

She did identify herself! She indicated she sent a page for Fiona and found she wasn't in. She has a letter from Fiona and the contract and showed them. She has no duty to identify herself beyond those three items.

Thera would know Tria.
Thera doesn't think Tria had to identify herself to get to this point?
Why would she have an Aegis token? A magus has to invite her in. She hasn't run into a magus, yet, on this visit.
She did knock. Thera can't know she knocked or didn't. She is presuming she didn't. That is reasonable.

Ulrich disappears.
"I'm sorry I had to do that, you are interfering with retrieving my property, Thera. It was very difficult to contact Maris through the Aegis, but I managed it. Ulrich is safe for now. Are you going to prevent me from leaving?"

At Le Maison Ulrich appears in a sanctum looking much like Apollodorus's. "Welcome Ulrich, I'm Maris. I apologize for the sudden transport and associated side effect. I am Xenophon's filia. Did he give you any personal instruction?". It looks like she is studying Ulrich intently.". Ulrich gains a warping point.

Alexei storms onto the scene staff in hand, lead here by a grog and servants by the threats of impending violence.

"What is the meaning of this!" he bellows. "Who is...Oh. it's you." he says as he sees the maga and lowers his staff. "What are you doing here? Haven't we talked about not using the Regio entrance?"

"My rights to my apprentice are absolute, the contract gives me the right to come and go in the manner I deem necessary. I know you don't like that I use it, but you have no right to prevent me from using it. You have a right to close it and secure it. I have a right to come and visit my apprentice, Ulrich. I have just reclaimed him, or had him reclaimed by my amica, Maris. I didn't want to inflict that on him, but Thera's actions caused me to act. May I go, or am I to consider myself a guest for an indefinite period of time?" We'll say that Alexei arrived and just barely saw Ulrich disappear.

Alexei lets out an exasperated sigh. "I wouldn't dream of depriving you of your apprentice or additional time. Servants came and roused me claiming murder and kidnappings were going on. Look, things have been quite a mess lately, coming and going the way you do is bound to cause problems! Just...understand that will you please? And use your discretion...please." after seeing Ulrich disappear. "Well it looks like that's resolved." he has a bemused smirk on his face at the final sight of the young man. "He could probably use some church by the look of him. Is everyone's hot blood cooled off now? Am I still needed here? If not I bid you good day."

"I did. I identified myself to the guard you have positioned at the entrance. He let me go on. I fetched a page to send for Fiona, that I was responding to her letter, but was told she was gone. I asked where Ulrich was, and was told where I could find him. I found him with Thera. Thera is a devious creature and is trying to concoct some story that I'm an imposter. I attempted to satisfy her with these documents." Tria shows the contract between her and Apollodorus for Ulrich's fosterage and Fiona's letter to Tria. "Alexei, i'm well aware of what has happened. Maris and I are quite close." ((No, not that kind of close and there's nothing in her voice to suggest that kind of closeness.)) "If Apollodorus did to Ulrich what he did to Maris he's in some element of danger. I had been travelling and when I returned to Le Maison I found this letter to me, Maris explained what had happened, and I came to retrieve Ulrich."