1222.etc 100 Pieces of Mons Electi

Ah, well, she has far too many duties right now to disappear for a week or more, especially given the current turmoil. She'll head back to the covenant for now, and plan a lengthier expedition.

(idle drawings of various vivid memories shall shed off her like leaves in autumn until then, too)

That summer (not sure if it matters when, but definitely after Fall of Night, possibly even after Getting the Band Back Together), Ulrich seeks out Theraphosa. Although he'll try not to let it appear that he's sought her out โ€“ he's going to play like "Oh, fancy running into you here!"

He starts off with idle banter. "Lovely weather we're having," and "How are you doing," tripe like that.

After a few minutes, he will bring up when they were sitting next to each other at the meeting just after Apollodorus's death, and how much he enjoyed her next to him. "It made a very difficult time a little more bearable."

He smiles at Thera (trying desperately to ignore the fact that he's talking to a spider the size of a child). "You make a very pretty woman, by the way. Anyway, I was thinking...it felt like we were on the verge of something special before...things got crazy again. And I was wondering if you wanted to pick up where we left off, see what happens?"

The day after the council meeting, Fiona gets word that Reynault is asking for her.

While Fiona and Laetitia are away from Mons Electi comes to visit and finds Fiona gone. She leaves a note on Fiona's cottage door, it reads: Maris and I need to talk to you, send us word when you've returned.

Fiona drops whatever she's working on and hurries to him. She knocks on the door, waits to be admitted, then kneels next to his bed (I'm assuming that he's sick in bed).

[color=blue]"I'm here, Reynault," she says gently as she looks him over and wishes there was something she could do.

"Fiona, I wished to inform you, there are certain details of my relationship with Apollodorus that will become clear as our journals are read. I'm not sure anyone will understand, but I wanted someone to know, and not judge us too harshly." Reynault looks very weak, and he has a fever.

Fiona nods. [color=blue]"I suspected there was more to your relationship than met the eye, the way you've been fading since his death. Can I get you some water?"

Fiona's going to try a Spontaneous CrCo to soothe his fever. I'm guessing that it would be base 3 (same as "Prevent all of a target's wounds from getting any worse" and +6 to Recovery rolls). R: Voice (+2), D: Sun (+2), T: Individual, makes the target level 15. Sta 3 + Cr 6 + Co 14 + Aura 5 = 28 + die roll of 5 = 33 รท2 = 16. Pretty much spot on.

[color=blue]"You can tell me anything, Reynault, and you have my word that I'll not judge you, nor repeat what you've told me unless you want me to."

"I've laid all my secrets bare in my journals. As has Apollodorus, or Xenophon, as I knew him longest. We had to be separated for a long time. I don't wish for you to do anything. I wish for the end to come to me quickly, as the light of my world has gone. You should know this, though. Valerian's interest in Apollodorus was beyond what happened that night.

"You see, Valerian fancied Apollodorus. Many gifts were sent here to Apollodorus, and all were returned. Valerian will be much more dangerous than you can imagine, now. He had to destroy that which he desired most. That which he desired most was also that which was most dangerous to his House. I'm not she he can reconcile his feelings, and will instead act to bury them, likely unsuccessfully. I've had my writings collected in that armarius over there. They should be removed to Apollodorus sanctum."
A coughing fit is the last noise Reynault makes, after giving up his final burden.

Fiona will take a few minutes to cry it out and gather her composure after he passes.

Once she does, she goes to pick up the armarius (I'm thinking it's about the size of a good-size briefcase or something, and Google's not being very helpful here) and carry it to Apollodorius's sanctum.

If she sees anyone on the way, she will simply say, [color=blue]"He's gone."

She then calls for whomever to do whatever they need to with his body.

"It did feel quite....unusual to spend the night in that body, although it had far too few limbs for my taste. I prefer to be able to still have a pair of hands free while holding someone down..." Theraphosa responds sensually, trying not to salivate at the prospect of ensnaring this young magus into her schemes. (Just as soon as she figures out what her schemes will be, anyway.)

"I have much work to do in the laboratory this season, but you are always welcome to find me whenever you feel the need for....company.

(Spending a season romancing Theraphosa might count as Training in Folk Ken, Guile or Intrigue, as Theraphosa spends her free time analyzing the Hermetic Order and looking for ways to influence it. Think "Dangerous Liasons.")

(Tangent: With Intrigue 3(plotting), I think Theraphosa is actually better able to coordinate all this anti-Valerian stuff than anyone else in the covenant. )

She runs into Viscaria, who appeared to be heading towards Reynault's chambers with a list in her hand. "Oh, that's right, he was sick.... she mumbles absentmindedly.

Viscaria stares somewhat numbly at the wax tablet in her hand, her thoughts full of mortality and the never-ceasing tides of time.

"How about tonight, after dinner?" Ulrich says, as his mind starts to wander into the field of bawdy fantasy. [color=green]"I have a place of my own, we won't be disturbed, we can get to know each other rather well." (He still, afaik, doesn't know that it was Fiona who gave Thera the human form, and may well assume that it's a power that Thera has, as is not uncommon amongst magical animals and familiars.)

She chitters loudly, revealing a mouth full of fangs. "Ah, for the eagerness of youth. Nae, my child, such an obvious move will never yield your goal. Tell me, are you familiar with chess? There is purported to be a magnificent board nearby, all the better to show you some more effective moves..."

(OOC: Dammit, I really am going to have to watch Dangerous Liasons, as research.)

((Because an apprentice can never be left to his own devices for long, and since PB wasn't specific, we'll assume this is when Fiona and Laetitia are away. And Ulrich has had far too much latitude, he's going to be finding his world is about to change again.))

A slender figure bursts in on the pair before much more can be said, "Ulrich, come with me, I have need of my apprentice for the remainder of the season. You can play, later." Ulrich and Thera can both catch the sense of ownership in Tria's voice. Looking at Theraposa, "Give my regards to your mistress and the magi of Mons Electi. Fiona is not about, so I'm reclaiming my apprentice, since the terms of the fosterage contract have been voided. I was told that I could expect Fiona to watch over him when Apollodorus was unavailable."

[color=green]"Not really, no. I know that one of our vis sources is the annual chess game with the gnomes. And I hear that it's quite popular with some magi. I really should learn, though, shouldn't I?" He grins at Thera. [color=green]"I'm told that I can be an eager student."

Theraphosa regards the newcoming magi thoughtfully. "I do not believe we have been formally introduced. My name is Theraphosa, called familiar to Viscaria Verditus according to the laws of your Code. You are the Bonisagus who presumes to walk in and out of other people's security measures without regard for the upset this causes, I believe? Do you have a name you wish me to call you, or shall I simply name you based on your civility and respect for legal procedures, and call you Valerian?"

"Perhaps, while you are attempting to kidnap this young apprentice without mark of investiture, or so much as the common courtesy of announcing yourself to the lords of this manor, you might wish to destroy some of our buildings? That parapet over there seems to be a popular choice.

"And while we are on the subject of gross violations of the Code by self-important magi, might I ask just how you know that neither Appollodorus nor Fiona is available right now? By your manner and your insistence upon speed, it would be easy to assume that you have been scrying upon us.

"I do not know you, madame, and have no way to prove your bonafides. The apprentice is currently under my protection and guidance, while he engages in the work set out for him by his foster parens. We have recently been attacked by parties unknown. You shall not have him, save through proper channels and due consideration by the appropriate legal bodies."

(Ulrich is supposed to be studying from a tome this season.)

[color=green]"But...but..." Ulrich sputters before he finally slouches. [color=green]"Yes, domina. I'll talk to you later, Thera."

As he's led away by Tria, he mutters, [color=green]"Ah, man, I'm never going to find out what 'it' is."

At Thera's protests, he turns to her. [color=green]"It's okay, Thera. This is my domina, Tria scholae Bonisagi. I was simply fostered to Apollodorus before...well, you know. But with him no longer able to see to my education..." He shrugs. [color=green]"I'll write and visit when I can."

"Scrying? I think not. I received this letter from Fiona. She produces the letter for Thera's inspection. " I also have his contract of fosterage. Allow me to highlight the relevant clause. If the death of the fostering magus occurs the master of record must collect the magus within one season. I know about his death because of my amica, Maris, his filius, Exarch of the Tribunal. Truthfully, I don't have to have anyone's permission, and I let a page know to notify Alexei and Fiona of my arrival. Fiona isn't here, and I'm sure Alexei will be along and grouse about my method entry and egress. I also have a right to make unannounced visits, and have an open invitation to come and visit whenever I wish." She points to the relevant clauses detailing her rights. "My name is Tria of Bonisagus, and Ulrich here knows full well who I am. You have no standing under the code, do not interfere."

Thera hisses angrily. "It is most certainly NOT okay, and this is a lesson you should learn well. What proof do you have that this creature is the woman you claim her to be? How do you know she is not a shapeshifter, or a Sidhe Lord come to feast upon your soul? The Code is there for a reason, child, and anyone of the status and favor acclaimed by Tria scholae Bonisagi would understand that. That this creature has presented herself in the manner so at odds with the known behavior of the maga she claims to be should only heighten your wariness, not diminish it.

"There are creatures in this world that can deceive as easily as you breathe, child, and you need to learn how to guard against them."

"All this proves is that you are rude and condescending. The child is under my custody, and you have offered no proof that you are the creature spoken of in these contracts. You are not part of any legal hierarchy that I respond to. If you try to take the child without first confirming your authority to me, I will defend him. This I have been bidden to do by my spirit-sister."

(as a familiar, attacking her counts as attacking the magical power of her mistress, though really the problem here is that Tria has yet to speak the "password" -- Thera isn't going to back down without a covenant member telling her to do so.)

"Do not interfere. Listen to young Ulrich here. I'm well aware of the recent events, that is why I am here. My responsibilities as to young Ulrich here are quite clear. My rights with regards to him are absolute. As to your protection, I can disable you easily enough, do not attempt to interfere. Honestly Thera, you don't recall the times I showed up at Phoenix unannounced? Your mistress never related those events? While my method of arrival wasn't as direct, it happened enough to visit Jammie or Ra'am. I'm going to be come quite cross with you, soon."