1222.OOC

I have downloaded openoffice and am reading the calc part to make a spreadsheet for tracking training resources. No guarantees but it does not look that hard to script. The time would be in entering the data.

Tangent: I note that Viscaria will earn, at current assumptions, about 19XP of Hubris over the next 5 years, bringing her to 25 total, for a Hubris score of 2, very close to 3.

She should probably gain some Hubris for the whole "building a Tribunal city out of raw earth" thing too.

Don't need a virtue for it, it's just a tome on plants, herbs, flowers, etc, and what they do and are purported to do.

When I made Fiona, I was thinking Mythic Herbalism was the same as the 4th ed virtue Herbalism, which is pretty awesome. While Mythic Herbalism is cool in it's own way, it is totally nerfed compared to what I thought it was.

Sometime in 1225 (after she returns from Durenmar, probably in summer sometime), Fiona will approach Alexei and ask if he would be willing to teach her Ball of Absymal Flame or some such.

Also...Fiona would also like to know if anybody would like to have Sheelagh's assistance in the laboratory while she's out of town (winter of 1224 and spring of 1225).

Actually, now that I think about it, I think it would be better of Fiona did her scribing right away...at least before we lose our Hermes' Portal to Harco (and I'm assuming we can arrange a portal from there to Durenmar). So, Winter of 1222 and Spring of 1223. So, that's when it looks like Sheelagh's available. Either for Lab Use or being taught (quid-pro-quo, maybe?).

Again, I don't need help in the lab with all the tribunal enchanting, but I'll happily take it. Spring 1223, I'm enchanting the rings that'll be used by the 3-man team for quarrying stone and moving it about.

During Winter 1222, Viscaria is reading and Theraphosa is building our sky-bridge, but if nobody else can keep an eye on the child and you don't feel she's ready to be seen in public yet, then Viscaria will happily keep an eye on her and makes sure she does her reading. After all, we seem to have some very impressive figures who question our skills at apprentice-handling.

Yes, I felt the same way, although the author made a nice speech that sold it to me once I had the time to read it... There:

Let tackle this differently, going by your perspective to have a random flaw helping the master, but without the "opening bit".
Rule that there's one (and one only) inherited flaw that, whenever he manifests, counts toward teaching.

The apprentice's gift is weak, he just doesn't do Perdo. It's already there, before the opening, which inflicts no flaw. Yet, when the master tries to teach him his Flawless Magic, he discovers that this is way easier than expected, as the child has a natural gift from it (the ease factor is lessened).

The apprentice's gift is fine, but something goes wrong at the opening. The master later discovers that this shaped the apprentice gift in a way that gives him a natural understanding of Magic.

The apprentice's gift is fine, the opening his fine. Yet, 3 years later, when trying to impart his flawless magic, the master experiments to avoid his Waster of Vis flaw, botches and cripples him, inflicting the Perdo Deficiency.

This accomplishes exactly what you want, but instead of the apprentice having only one possible origin for what may be his hermetic flaw, he now has 3 choices.

Maybe because most masters aren't supposed to transmit a bunch of free virtues, but only 2 or 3, the rest coming from the apprentice's own magic (inherited virtues)?

Also, 21 is to transmit a major virtue without a flaw. It is high especially so that only great teachers will transmit one Free Major Virtue. Without any attached strings. I find it quite reasonnable. Don't you?

So yeah, going by the rules, a Master will only transmit a few virtues, most coming with a flaw. The other virtues and flaws? They are inherited. These high ease factors you're railing against are especially there to keep the apprentices from being their Master's Clone (all their best virtues), with a bunch of added (inherited) virtues.

I also fail to see how you can find fine that a master can transmit his own virtues to his apprentices, but are clearly bothered by his flaws. I mean, it's fine if an apprentice has the same 3 virtues than his master, but not the same 3 flaws?
By the rules, this only concerns a few V/F, it's 2 sides of the same coin. Is it such a great deal if the apprentices has 2 virtues and 2 flaws in common with his master, with 5 that are his own?
It also has its own nice sense of tradition, such as "The Flambeau Lineage of Taake is known for his focus in blood, but aren't very good at Ignem". You're just throwing half of that sentence out.

I understand that, but I like that :wink:
It means that you've gotta make tough choices, instead of just knowing you'll be able to avoid transmitting that hated flaw.
Going by your ruling? Traditions with the most heinous flaws should be almost unknown, since it'll be easier for magi to transmit their Great Secret without their Great Problem. You'll have lineages of magi with Flawless Magic and random flaws, but no lineage of magi with Rigid Magic. IMO, this sucks.

Also, don't forget that masters may have a bunch of flaws to select from. If you really, really, want to avoid that deficiency, give him another flaw, work on your teaching, or... go out! Find another magus to teach him, indebt yourself to him! Go to the magic realm exchange your flaw for another one! Story time! You can already do all that if you really want it. It just shouldn't be easy to give Great Power while Avoiding the mandatory Great Responsability.

[color=blue]"It's not that I don't think she can be seen in public. It's just that, the last time I took an apprentice to a domus magnus for studies, I don't think he got as much benefit from it as he should have. She's still young enough that I doubt I'll have the same problem with her, but I don't know that I will be able to find something to keep her suitably occupied there."

Does she have any MT yet?

Responding on my phone. I don't like it I'm HR this. It is your job to bring everyone around to your point of view. Consensus of the players will reverse my decision.

Bless you and your geekiness!

Our MT Summa is L6Q17. I'm betting she can stand to read it some more.

And Otto is Q14 source of AL and Philo. If you don't want her reading Arts Summae, there's plenty for her to do.

Hrm....If we gave Otto a lab tricked out for Teaching, he'd add +3 to his SQ....
Elementary Lab (Teaching Only), 1 Season
Lesser Feature/Focus - Throne/Desk, 1 Season

We've got enough Apprentices. Might as well have them set up an Teaching Lab for themselves.

Added Theraphosa to the Chart. Told her to spend some time reading all those MT books. I'm assuming familiars come AFTER apprentices when it comes to checking out books?

In 1227 Winter, Alexei's Longevity Ritual failed and suffers an aging crisis. The fates conspired on that one. He needed to roll a 1 then a 9 on the first year that his aging roll went down by one because of entering the new decade, and lo and behold...he did.

He gains enough aging points to lose a point in a stat and suffers a crisis. So his already bad eyes, will become worse as I'll his Perception go down a point to -2 (2 Aging Points and 2 XP in Decrepitude).

Now, does the Ritual expend itself and he survives the Crisis without rolling, or does he have to roll?

The book says (on p. 168, last paragraph) that "When the crisis occurs, the ritual assures that the character survives, but its power is spent and the focal ritual must be performed again," so it looks like you still roll to see what happens on the Crisis table (bedridden for a week or month, or a critical illness, or what have you), but you don't need to make the Stamina roll or have CrCo magic to survive.

On the plus side, you don't have to spend a season redoing the Ritual. Just pony up the Vis do the bibbity bobbity boo, and you're good.

I would think that he'd get one last benefit from the potion before it died out?

I'll make the roll and we'll figure it out from here.

Crisis roll:
1d10 → [9] = (9)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3571987/

Arrgh! Assuming we add +6 for 1/10th his age, that's a 15 and a minor illness. With a Sta roll of 3+ to make.
I'll make the roll:
1d10+2 → [4,2] = (6)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3571997/

So he's fine on the minor illness, but will be down for the season regardless. Would it be Spring then that he's out?

"Hey! You apprentices! Get out away from that Sanctum!"

"Cheese it! It's Old Man Alexei!"

I'd say maybe not dying is a pretty good benefit :stuck_out_tongue:

But that's how I'd rule it. JL may see things differently.

IMO, the crisis is averted and no roll on the crisis table is necessary.

He'd still lose the season though right?

No.

OK rock on. Just need to invent a new one or stick with the old.

Let's see, he had a +7 before.

Now he can make:
A base 44 lab total. He'd need 12 pawns of vis for his age, if he adds 2 more pawns (or gets just 2 more on his lab total) he can have a 46, which would give a +10. That's the smarter plan I think, so do some studying and remake in Winter. He has to learn some more Magic Theory anyway if he'd want to use more Vis, which would get him where he'd need to be.

Or you can get a real LR and allow Korvin to experiment on you :slight_smile: Lab total of 90 before rolling :slight_smile: And that is calculated with Korvin in 1225 not 1227.