1222.OOC

wait...what? That was Apollodorus that did that to him? I/Ulrich thought it was Tria. (I guess he probably still does,though).

There's no need to retcon. I had definitely intended to practice this tactic and drill it, but did not. We're keeping the tactics simple, everyone pretty much has a shield grog. The main thing that would be nice would be if the training went towards every grog accepting Alexei's Leadership, so if we form a small group he can give all a bonus for his Skill. That would only come to bear if the grogs separated from their magi, which wouldn't be a good idea.

I'm pretty sure representations only work for the wizard for created the image, for penetration purposes.

I believe it is still Atsingani's for this seven years. Then Mons Electi will file for a Legacy due to absorbing our vassal so we would keep it another seven years.

Question regarding the impending combats. Alexei relies a bit on touch spells and effects which he can deliver through his talisman (though not necessarily the spearhead which is not magical, if he can't deliver it through that, I have no argument). But how tough is it to land the touch? Is their Defense lower or Alexei's Attack higher since he doesn't need to strike his opponent hard, but just touch them. Does parrying it still deliver the spell? If it hits the shield would it deliver it? Is dodging the only real defense?

Just checking, it will likely come up soon.

IIRC, it ain't difficult at all. I vaguely remember it being once explained, I can't recall if it's in a book or on the boards, but, usually, it's more or less automatic, although Evasion could (and, IMO, should) very well provide a valable defense.

OTOH, you raise quite valid points with parry and shield :frowning:
I would tend to answer that it doesn't help at all. Touch is touch, and the image of alexei striking someone's shield, only to have the target be flung backwards, is quite evocative, although I can see how another answer might sometimes provide for a more interesting game.
A middle, more visual term might be to say that parry does help, but that shield bonuses to defense aren't considered. I like the visual aspect of this, but it does make Touch range spells more difficult.
If going that way, giving a malus to the target would, IMO, be quite warranted, since he doesn't try to land a real blow, but just to touch his target (a glance is enough), which is quite easier. I'd say -5 to defense would be appropriate.

The only difference I'd make is that you can't both make a normal (i.e. damaging) attack and cast a touch-range spell, unless the spell is maintained through concentration, fast-cast, or cast by an item.

Of course, johnathan might have quite different ideas :smiley:

Thanks, regarding what's going on in the Lost Boys, I think we need to get clarification from Apollodorus. He said that we could get trapped in the Regio or something. It seemed to me we needed to enter through the cave so we could enter a regio or something. I'm fine with either approach, but I think Apollodorus had some compelling reasons for the cave entrance.

Sure, Laetitia just has a pretty huge suspicion those "compelling reasons" boil down to personal vengeance. People who are inherently manipulative tend to be obsessively paranoid about others trying to manipulate them; she is no exception.

As I understood it, he said that there could be a regio, not that there wasn't one. But I may remember incorrectly.
Trying Laetitia's suggestion, however, costs us nothing, and may actually be quite helpful.

On an unrelated note, having some fun thinking about spells for Isen :smiley: (and yeah, I actually did a "Fist of the North Star" spell... :blush: ) I'm listing them on the wiki as a reminder. Further spell ideas are welcome :smiley:

This one is a bit more malicious perhaps than offensive. It would be meant to act as a kind of curse perhaps. But Perdo Ignem with a Duration of Moon (or longer if you want to spend the Vis). Target would either be Room or Structure, and basically you infect the whole place with a chill that just can't be shaken. Fires in the hearth do very little to shake the chill and the inhabitants are basically miserable the entire time...or comfortable if cast in a hot summer.

Muto requisites could give you some interesting effects with cold vs heat also. In Magi of Hermes, there's a Flambeau that is big on all kinds of fire spells, and he includes several ice ones also. Like a spell that turns a fire ice cold.

Thanks!

I'm limited, in that his focus is in Ice, not cold, so I can only do cold indirectly, and not very efficiently (see Shackles of the Frozen Ice and Ars p181).
But it is workable, create Ice with moon duration.

And I'll look to MoH. You're probably speaking about Ranulf, and this'll probably be a great source of inspiration. Thanks!

To quote Order of the Stick, on Alexei's behalf:

"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions to which I will regret learning the answers."

:slight_smile:

Without trying to open up a classic Parma argument, will Alexei's Talisman/staff be resisted by Parma? It is enchanted of course, but he only has one affect on it that he activates through the staff, that being the stun effect.

If he simply whacks someone with MR does it Penetrate? I'd say yes by the same reason that a creature with Might can simply take a bite at a wizard without penetrating. If the answer is no, I'll just move on, not looking to debate or delay the action.

I don't mind debates, and action in Lost Boys is going to drag out a bit longer than the Fall of Night.

If I'm understanding your question, you're wanting enchanted items to be able to ignore magic resistance if they don't have an active effect? I'm not sure I like that. In any event, I think that question is moot in Alexei's case:

Yep, that settles it. Totally forgot that part, the staff is fully enchanted with an effect and needs to penetrate, and since I didn't put any penetration into that effect it can't touch somebody else. That's why he keeps the non magical spear tip...which apparently won't do much either. Hmmmm... we'll have to think of something.

As I understand it, any item under a magical effect is resisted, period (Ex: A sword that is made unbreakable).
But an item that can cast magic isn't resisted if it isn't under a magical effect (ex: A wand that can make swords unbreakable)

Creatures with might are something entirely different, in that their attacks are natural, not sustained by magic, so they aren't resisted. Note, however, that when a creature uses a power to "magically" increase its damage, it becomes resisted.

But yeah, your spearhead was a great idea to circumvent the problem, save that, in this case, it's useless :frowning:

:frowning: Isen would have fared well against this guy, as I doubt he's prepared for Ice :frowning:

(And for the record, no problem AT ALL, it was just Isen's reflections, and it makes perfect sense to him that Appolodorus would take Alexei with him :wink:)

BTW, for now, the stories look great :smiley:

Perhaps, but his Parma is quite strong, like yours. He is a hoplite, the Chief Hoplite of the Normandy Tribunal, so a strong MR is a definite requirement...

Just out of curiosity, is Ivor still around or did he decide to stay in Scotland?

He's around and kicking somewhere...

I'm not inclined to limit any characters who would be available at this stage, heck you could roll one up and come up with a plausible reason for him to be there, and I'd probably allow it.

I did not catch where he had been released from service. If not then he is with you