1222.OOC

Why a higher base? I'm tossing the marbles individually, not the whole pouch.

The Pen I brought up for DEO, not Sling.

PB: we already know we are ubernerds. We used to play DDR at an anime shop, ffs.

I was confused by HoH:S's deviation from the MRB guideline layout. HoH:S says "Base 5 to hurl stones projecticles for +5 damage (Range 20)." And then shows additional Base guidelines for higher levels of damage. If it followed MRB layout, it would actually read like this:

Base 4: hurl dirt, mud, clay or sand projecticles for +5 Damage (range 20).
+1 Magnitude to do an additional +5 Damage

And Invisible Sling of Vilano, instead of being "Base 5, +1 Touch," should be "Base 4, +1 affect stone instead of dirt, +1 Touch."

Which would give us an additional option of trying to spont versions that throw metal or even gems, if that's all we have on us. And also give us a framework for suggested spells to increase range if needed. Though if I really needed to increase the range, I'd hope to hell that I could just spont a Crystal Dart instead.

Grrr.

Wait, Doublet stacks with all these other spells? But the Metal Scale isn't affected, and you can only take bonuses from one source.

Also, I think that, on reflection, tiny silver wands are lame for Casting Tools. I mean, I've never really understood the concept of them, and have never seen them mentioned in a character sheet published by the company. Any suggestions for something else? What works? Do they have to be held in your hand? Bracelet charms (a la Harry Dresden)?

HoH:S establishes new guidelines, and makes the magnitude one level higher(From MRB 4 to 5) to account for the fact that it is a "thrown" spell, requiring aiming through finesse, rather than a directed spell like Wielding the Invisible Sling. (Base 3+1 for stone). Make sense?

Yes, thanks. I had that figured out when I edited the original post.

While we're sitting around paying such disturbingly meticulous attention to the rules (and while I continue to scrutinize my armillary sphere with some concern), let me run yet another minor, inconsequential question about spell guidelines past you all which will surely have us once again at each other's throats before the moon begins to wane.

InVi spells require a different spell for detecting magics of each realm (Magic, Faerie, Infernal, Divine). Could I instead simply add a magnitude for each additional realm, as if I was adding a requisite?

Ie, Base 2 - Determine power of a magic aura. +1 Touch, +1 also determine infernal, +1 also determine Faerie, +1 also determine Divine = InVi 10.

Or would that require a research breakthrough?

Gah. I really, really would like him to provide me with a season of instruction in Corpus now.

Ulrich has a tale to tell.

~checks sheet~

You dick. :~P

Makes me wonder what his paintings are like. I've never actually seen any of those, either.

This is about like thinking all problems are nails because your favorite tool is a hammer. Or your favorite tool is a hammer, but you also want it to be a screwdriver Your InVi is sufficiently high that you can spont this without fatigue. Indeed any magus getting to TeFoInt combo of 15 can do it. It's not that hard. And your multi auratype spell makes it a bit harder to cast.

My favorite tool is a Dremel.

I have all the attachments.

What, exactly, is your point, sir? ~mock glare~

Seriously, though, by the rules guidelines, it says, "must be a separate spell." What do you say? I'm going to post this question in the main ArM forum.

I yam what I yam.

I'm lukewarm. Original research is also something Viscaria won't have time for.

Yes, and no!
0 while untrained means +3 botch dices, so 4 instead of one :wink: Or more, if the situation warrants it.

:smiley:

Agree for metal and gems.
For the range, IMO, it has all to do with "bow range". That is, it's not the range the spell can project the stone at (you'll notice that it is possible to hurt someone at 100 paces, although difficult), but the range at which you've got some reasonable "chance to hit".
I think this is why, although the guidelines allow for higher damage, they don't mention increased range: You're using a sling-like effect, so your chances to hit something are similar to those you'd have using a sling, due to your aim and the target (and projectile) size.

I dunno. Really.

On the one hand, as far as I can see it, there's nothing stopping you from it.
On the other hand, AFAIK, there's not a single exemple of a "cross-realm" spell in all the books, save maybe in LoH, in which there's a maga who did a specific breakthrough, and I seem to remember (but may be wrong!!) that it is specified spells must have a realm, so I'm not sure this is possible.

If possible, anyway, such a spell would detect magic from a realm, but what realm? You'd probably need, IMO, one additional magnitude to know.
=> Probably better to just spont the lower-level "normal" spell. IIRC, it is lvl 3 or 4, so you can maybe spont it without fatigue.

Would I add my bronze cord to my soak if my familiar is not going?

Yes. You get that for as long as you have a familiar.

It could add that, no doubt, but I think it's something for the individual magi to tell the grog. And the grog could trip as he's presenting the sword to the magus. Or he has to decide whether or not it is important to bring to the magus. Or the magus he's protecting doesn't need it, because they use spells based on finesse which avoid penetration. Batle is confusing enough, this adds a whole level of complexity to the battle.

It does, agreed. Any magi that doesn't want this, instruct your shield grog.

I guess what i'm looking for is how exactly do you envision this working? Doing this now, before we start combat would be really helpful, so we can discuss differences in how we see the flow of battle going. I'm being particularly cautious now based on some recent experience... :mrgreen:

I've been trying to get you to state certain things. This story is in direct response to the lack of action or direction in the turb thread. I hadn't awarded XP there for a reason. This is one of the things I was talking about.

I'm not a parsiminous SG, I have no problem with you going back and retroactively stating that this is the kind of training you did in 1221. I would've preferred that you had done this earlier. But we're here now and it's not my desire to kill a whole bunch of PCs, whether they be grogs or magi. This story was originally going to be a narrative of what Mufarjj, Marcus and Apollodorus were up to. Seeing the lack of direction on the turb thread, I felt a combat story was suitable (actually, I had a different combat story planned for the resolution of the Turb thread, but I never felt it reached a point where I could run it).

So, retcon away. Plug the hole and make sure that characters have been adequately trained and briefed. I want everyone to bring the benefit of 3 seasons of training to bear.

Mine's a sonic screwdriver.