1222.OOC

As long as she's a total fox, though, her name doesn't matter much :smiling_imp:

And [strike]does[/strike] knows Greek.

Sorry, channeling Talia. :smiling_imp:

I would hate to tie a companion up teaching magus when they should be adventuring. That is why I want to make it a grog. You can still use her to teach all of us but I think it would be a waste of a companion. I will still follow through with Renaud.

IF someone wants a companion to be a teacher, I can envision several possibilities. They could be associated with Mons Electi but perhaps be a magister in artibus in Paris, actually teaching for part of the year. IF they are affiliated with the covenant and wish to receive benefits of the covenant (unlike Wilhelm) I'd be inclined to give them the Wealthy Virtue in effect (post character generation). Meaning that they could maintain their credentials by teaching for 1 season per year in Paris, and then spending the rest of the time at Mons Electi, perhaps? Mons Electi would support her.

Note, I don't have a problem with this per se, if you want to pursue this path, that's fine. I'm going to offer a few suggestions, though. First, I'll have Apprentices tomorrow, and it is likely that it will help shape the virtues and flaws chosen, at least to a better degree than Ulrich's path has been developed, but he was kinda passed from master to master with no real oversight. His case is different.
Why do you want her to have Intellego of 4, halfway to 5, and a Rego of 5 essentially at the end of her first year? Yes, she has MT of 5 and Latin 5, which are significant advantages that have been given for free. She will likely end up with Skilled Parens (or better) for free, too. Consider or plan out how you intend to utilize her over 15 years and how you might (whether you have Apprentices or not) give her appropriate virtues and flaws.
With an MT of 5, and if I have your lab's refinement score of 2, she can easily be assigned the task of installing the Virtue and freeing Korvin to study from a book. I would even consider handing her the Magic Theory Summa of L6Q17, as that is something she is capable of doing and has immediate benefit to Korvin.

Perfect, no problem here.
Especially as, since I post only about 1/day at best, I might bog down any other thread.
I just feared that I was supposed to get on a ride and didn't.

Ok.
I'll search for it, and if I don't, will settle for 20XP plus 2 seasons at Mons Electi. I'll do some other kind of service, maybe a charged item.

Agree, it'd be more fun and better, but I must warn you:

• Magical beings are a pain in the ass to build
  • If someone discovers it, she'll be very vulnerable to might-strippers (but OTOH, it'sa nice edge while secret)
  • There are the Might penalties to XP, although you can mitigate it in various ways (taking a personnal vis source is a good idea, for exemple). This is a lot les problematic if she's a grog-level character.

Do you really, really want to hand down such precious books to an apprentice? Especially the second one?

Yes. This is not some bumpkin that was found in a village. Abagail was raised by a magus family and knows how to handle books ( since she has seen her father and sister handle them).

I have no idea what skills or stats she has other than arts zero. If she has a sheet then please put on the Portal so I could make an informed decision.

Can she refine a lab rather than put a virtue in? If so I'll have her refine Korvin's lab. I plan on using her to help with research but certain problems arise like she can't read the Covenant's Corpus Summa since it is made of human body parts.

That's not exactly true, I've told you her int is 3 and MT is 5. I mentioned that that Korvin can only have one of Laetitia or Glaukopis assisting in Laetitia's LR, unless he gets some Leadership, and then he can have another assistant and Abigail beats Glaukopis in adding to the LT. I don't recall if I mentioned that her Latin is 5, but it is, she's also got Hebrew at 5. Beyond that, I'm not going to hold myself down to too much. I should think that Korvin has a plan on how he's going to use her, and, by and large, his training regimen should reflect that. If she studies from books two seasons a year, gets taught by you for 1 season and helps in your lab for one season a year, she's going to be extremely powerful. I would expect, given her religious restrictions that all the Corpus instruction would come directly from you, given the book problem. Additionally, for the House Virtue, I'm going to give you some leeway on establishing what it is. It isn't necessary that she follow directly in your path of magic. She may not be Mercurian, for example, but have other manifestations of her gift. I would suggest, that given her father's Affinity with Creo your Puissance and Affinity with it, that she would have a stong Creo bent in opening her Arts.

So, cutting to the chase, I want you to think how you're going to shape her over the next 15 years. This is like me looking at a fine block of beautifully figured wood. I'm wondering where to take the first cut, and the next, and the next, and how I'm going to join multiple pieces together. You're constructing a Hermetic Magus; I don't want done to Abigail what's been done to Ulrich! All that was quite accidental and not the fault of the player or the character.

Perhaps I should wait on Apprentices to lay this out. I am still trying to plan out Korvin long term.

How is Mons Electi for making/copying books? Do we have most of the talent to copy a book and bind it?

Well, I'm not necessarily going to impose Apprentices on you or anyone, really, I'm just suggesting that this requires some thought and planning. It's a 15 year commitment, after all. And Korvin did pay a sum of vis, too.

There is a skilled scribe, but I don't recall anyone bringing in a bookbinder or illuminator. If one were to transcribe the Corpus text, you'd lose some quality because of the loss of illuminations and resonances.

All of this is for long term planning. Ra'am was interested in the book if it could be moved to a less human book :slight_smile:

Abagail is my first apprentice in any Ars Magica game so please give advice. Does she start with any virtues or is it an open book.

The only one I gave her, which accounts for her Magic Theory score of 5 is Puissant Magic Theory, reflecting the intensive teaching from her father. That may or may not stick, depending on how the next 15 years progress. Flaws are blank. Think about the flaw you would infict on her as part of Opening her Arts. It could be a hermetic flaw you possess or something else. Again, I'm flying blind right now and doing a what feels like it makes sense. Apprentices could upend this a bit, but it's my goal not to let that happen.

Korvin has a deficient form of perdo but I was going to try and not give her that. From the description of the flaw,Korvin's parens would have not had perdo at 5 or higher.

I think the question for me is what can an apprentice do?

Well shoot, I should've caught that. To my thinking, in order to not pass it on, you need to have a Perdo score of 10 before you open her Arts. So, not all is lost, though. You can delay opening her Arts and have her study other things. This is something that I would've discovered IC as Ra'am but that story has bogged down a bit. Ra'am was going to get into interviewing Korvin after he had reviewed records, and amul had wrapped up story. Ra'am would give his blessing to ether letting her have that Flaw Or having you take her, try and get your Perdo score to 10, and then opening her Arts. Or Ra'am could open her Arts, and he'd inflict a Hermetic flaw on her, and you take her in Autumn, rather than in Summer. He'll ask for a season of her assistance in the lab at a later point in return for opening her Arts.

I thought is was a score of 5 not to give the flaw.

Top of page 107 ArM says 5.

Sure, for someone without Deficient Te/Fo that applies.

Someone with Deficient Te/Fo is already worse off in that Art than anyone else, making them have a score in 10 to not pass on the deficiency is reasonable. Deficiency cuts totals in half, not just the Art score in half, it's actually a much more insidious flaw than it appears on the surface. Put someone with Deficient Perdo 10 next to someone with Perdo 5, and all other Form scores being equal, the Perdo 5 will outdo the deficient Perdo, except for the random nature of the die rolls.

I need to see if I might have 1/2ed the study totals. I think I did. If so he is closer to 10.

I'm not following. Character development was a straight XP expenditure, when I reviewed the MC file XP was spent consistently. So, no, he is a bit shy.
The Deficient Perdo isn't a big deal for Ra'am or me. It only has to be a big deal to you/Korvin. You could do something like Talia, my character in PB's Canaries are dying who has Deficient Ignem, and it's her highest Art by raw score (technically Creo is higher, but because of Puissance). This isn't exactly a numbers exercise, it's a story exercise, how do you turn an apprentice into a Magus. I'm interested in exploring stories/vignettes along this line. The story possibilities that I see are: you put off opening her Arts until your Perdo score is 10[1], you open her Arts and give her a Deficient Perdo, or you have Ra'am do it, and he inflicts a hermetic Flaw on her, and you either try and ameliorate its effects or replace it with a different flaw throughout her apprenticeship, or you inflict Deficient Perdo, raise your Perdo to 15[2] and work on removing the flaw. Ra'am asks for a season of work from her in exchange (note, he could ask for 3) at any time and it may be without much notice.

[1]To get to 10:
you need 4 seasons (not quite a full 4th season, but close enough) of studying the Perdo Summa.
Summer: Study Perdo
Autumn: LR for Laetitia
Winter: Study Perdo
Spring: Study Perdo
Summer: Study Perdo
Autumn: Open Arts

[2] The Perdo 15, when combined with your other Form scores gets you to a total of 20+ in each PerdoFo combination, and should be sufficient to scrub her deficiency.

He is? shuffle shuffle rustle rustle

Hunh. Looks like I haven't updated my planner since Onesiphorus and Jormungand left. I show Onesiphorus as Summer, and Fiona in Autumn.

Would it be at all possible, either here in the Covenant Description thread or over on the Obsidian Portal, to have a list of the princeps rotation? (I would do it myself, but it looks like I don't know what the current order is anymore).