1222.OOC

Jebrick, rightly, pointed out he exercised some leadership, or attempts at leadership in trying to herd cats in his Presence requested and required thread, trying to get the Redcaps to listen, and then acting when they didn't is the essence of Leadership. So, when I award XP there, he can.

Azura would be the older of them, though, about 13 years PG.

Last we discussed via PM I believe he has settled on opening her Arts in the summer, and then going to bust his butt to get his Perdo to 15 and then work to ameliorate the Deficient Perdo flaw.

Viscaria is in the awkward position where the book might very well be given to Abigail if Korvin decides to pull rank, given her peregrinator status.

Again, Viscaria responds to this potentially awkward situation cheerfully, and asks if she can have an arcane connection to the book while Abigael studies it for the season.

(OOC: Her Perfectly Ordinary Mirror will allow her to study from any book she has an arcane connection to, but she tries to keep that fact to herself)

IT may allow her to study from a book, but it will interfere with Abigail's study from the book: I'm not going to allow two characters to learn from 1 book simultaneously. That's plainly broken. I have no problem if she has a token to say Phoenix and reads a book not in use there. Keep in mind that this warps the Book (the target of the spell) and that may not be a good thing.

...which frees Thera's Winter 1222 again.

...there's an idea. Maybe Thera will join up with Maris. Or maybe she'll just start building her own Agents (HoH:S 140-42)...

It's a Level 36 enchantment, which I spent seasons building, from a lab text using a spell description provided in Covenants (Eternal Repetition in a Bottomless Pool). I would hardly call that "broken." I would call that an expensive application of Hermetic Magic applied to the game as it was meant to be, using established, published mechanics.

Is this a summer covenant, or isn't it?

It's broken in that two characters can learn from the same text at the same time. You are welcome to get the troupe to form consensus around my ruling and overrule me, but IMO it is broken. As I said, but you took out of context, I would allow it to access a book that is not in use that you have an arcane connection to. What is broken is that it allows two people to study the same book simultaneously.

she will not be studying the book. i have other things for her to do. It is all yours.

Korvin would have been a bit nosy if you would not have hit him in his lecherous flaw :slight_smile: Remember that he is there to do some research so when he winds it up he will go to other questions.

(First off, I agree that using it to allow multiple people to study from the same tome at the same time from different locations feels "broken" to me too.)

Looking at this spell description in Covenants, it bothers me a lot, and I find myself wondering if this is a legacy spell that they tried to force into the 5th ed system.

Reading the spell description, it feels more like a ReIm than a MuIm: it's not "creating" an image so much as it is copying or moving the image from the original book. But, the image also remains at the original location, which runs counter to the description of ReIm. I'm not sure if I would call it a CrIm with a Re requisite, or ReIm with a Cr requisite.

And that even assuming that I'd allow it, because it just feels so wrong. If I were to allow this item in my saga (and, honestly, I most likely wouldn't), I would say that somebody else using the book at the same time as the person with the mirror somehow magically "interferes with" the Arcane Connection's signal to keep the person at AC range from using it property, but that kinda feels like cheating.

So, looking at the rules, I don't see how the item can work the way it says it does. Sorry.

I would call it a Creo Imaginem with an Intellego requisite; it has to both summon the image from one place (Intellego) and reproduce it elsewhere (Creo).

That said, even designed as CrInIm, I still don't think it should allow two people to study simultaneously. Have you ever tried to read a book with someone else, while they were turning the pages? It's awful. Unless you read at the exact same speed, it's disjointed and hard to concentrate. And that's for fiction-- I can't even imagine trying to study for a biochem exam by looking over someone else's shoulder... even if they could hear me say "Hey! Buddy! Turn back to the glycolysis diagram," it'd still be entirely counterproductive, and we'd never get anything done.

Carrying it off from this, I have no issue if it is used on a book that's not in use. I'm willing to handwave away my concerns about the spell's construction overall, just rule it can't be used on a book while it is in use. Each user interferes with the other, no one gets anything done, RP opportunity to sleuth it out. IF multiple people can study from the same book simultaneously I can't imagine a covenant in existence that would have one of these for every magus made, if there is available vis. Durenmar would have a ton of these and would never have any resource contention, just use it on copies, and when the book is too warped, copy from the original source.

That being said, if the book is not in use, the device can function and the user can gain xp. It will inflict warping on the book 1 point for every season. The question as to whether Viscaria gets an AC to the book or the library is RP issue, there are several paths to this. However, it should not be stated in the OOC space. 100 pieces will work.

It could be treated like a teacher with two students which would make it worthless for the people studying.

I'm not going to start treating books like teachers. And teaching Hermetic Arts can only work one on one, regardless.

https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/1222-3-race-for-the-pennant/6849/48
Before Laetitia and Fiona depart to the Land of Giants, Alexei needs some help and needs some covenant resources...

Hey, what do you know... She does take after dad after all :slight_smile:

Pity that the only one left with any political pull is Cersei, then....

House Guernicus would love to see Cersei in as prima. For the same reason that Varys let her keep the throne :slight_smile:
Now I think about it, the assassination of Garus is quite corollary to the assassination at the end of ADWD.

chills

Why do I get the feeling that you were able to type that from memory? :slight_smile:

Actually, the only part of that scene I know by heart, I didn't quote, because it wasn't relevant to the comparison with Garus' assassination. But it's totally awesome:

Does Korvin still have an AC to Phoenix? In the years that have passed, Azura has almost assuredly has invented her group version LotH by now. They get Warping, but so what, so long as she gets paid.

If you gain exp equally in both Re and Te by studying from the ReTe vis-- she'd even give them a 10% discount. Only 16 pawns, 'cuz I like your face.

Korvin may have it, but I'm not sure how it helps. Azura's stuck all the way in central Iberia, it's faster for someone to run to Harco, get someone to bamf to Mons Electi, someone to bamf to Harco and they both cast the Hermes portal spell.

Remember, summertime and the living is easy. ReTe vis is extraordinarily valuable. Consider it only takes 7 pawns of ReTe vis and a pawn of Te vis to make a Hermes portal with it.
It lowers botch risk, it requires less. And if your a Mercurian? Fuggedaboudit. 4 pawns ReTe vis, Hermes Portal done, thank you very much.