1222.OOC

A Mercere apprentice.

I have some Creo but that will not help you. i will be down to 10 Corpus after the spring.

Ulrich wants to know if she's hawt.

In that same section,
Familiar Bonding Cost: 1 pawn of vis per five levels or fraction of the binding Lab Total Vis must match Technique or Form.

Is there perhaps a version difference and it has been since corrected via errata?

Just checked. I have the first printing, and according to the errata, it says: "The Initial Bond (p. 104): Replace "level" with "Lab Total" in the penultimate sentence of the final paragraph: "This costs one pawn of vis for every five points or fraction thereof of the Lab Total."; Replace the first sentence of the formula under Familiar Bonding Cost with: 1 pawn of vis per five levels or fraction of the binding Lab Total. "

So, my copy was a little ambiguous there (hence the confusion) but the errata cleared it up.

So...nine pawns it is. Good thing Fiona gets paid soon :smiley:

If the Target is group I don't believe it needs added magnitude to account for Size. AFAICT that's only in the event of Target: Individual, because she's a big Individual. Group's gonna be about the same size of Group: "12, but only 10 if Fiona is one of them."

Base Individual for Corpus is an adult up to size+1.
Base Group for Corpus is mass of 10 standard individuals.

I can see how the Group spell could be applied to Fiona. Although this brings a slipper slope argument in that a spell that can affect 10 +1 size could affect 5 +2 size, which I'm not too keen about, or any combination so long as it doesn't exceed mass of 10 individuals.

I like this interpretation.

In case it's up for vote :slight_smile:

Well, you have to make a case as to why it isn't a problem, I see lots...

My suggestion for anyone who wishes to go on the rescue mission: do lab activitiesin the summer of 1222, not studying.
This story may take a long time to resolve, but it's only going to be a few hours, a day at most, of distraction from labwork.

Sounds good. As the story begins 'a few weeks into summer' he would not have finished the project yet. So I'll still plan for him to finish it in summer.

Question regarding this effect:

Shriek of the Ominous Blade
R: Personal D: Sun T: Hearing Base 2 +2 Sun, +3 Hearing, Modifications: uses per day 2 (+1), Environmental Trigger Total: 19 2 pawns
As Shriek of the Impending Shafts, but for Metal Te (primarily) weapons.

Would this, as designed protect against only metal weapons, or also stone weapons (flint axes, hurled stones, stone clubs)?

Personally, I would put in extended hours in the lab and burn vis to bump to 45, as that's an even division and lets you put scores of 2 in all your cords.

You can't burn vis like that for enchanting/binding the familiar. However, I can see that lab bonuses would apply and Fiona does have some Muto bonuses in her lab. A different lab routine coupled with her lab bonus(es) to get it up to 45 is quite possible.

She actually gets a +2 for her Lab, also (+1 General Quality for Superior Equipment, and +1 Muto for her Lesser Feature: still). If I give her "Early Riser" for the season, that would give her +1, for a total of 45.

Viscaria's got no plans to enchant this year, as we've made no concrete plans, nor obtained lab texts or information yet, and she's got no lab. As an employee, she'd be willing to train the boy in something -- pretty sure he could learn Invisible Sling (ReTe 10) and Hands of Grasping Earth (ReTe 15) in a season.

Alternatively, Theraphosa could train the boy in a few skills that he's been lacking:

3 Intrigue (plotting)
4 Stealth (hide)
3 Code of Hermes (precedents)
5 OoH Lore (history)
4 Philosophiae (natural)
5 Magic Theory (enchanting)

(Though the other magi may object to the exact method by which Thera would train someone in Stealth. "Run, boy! I've give you till the count of five....")

I'm still trying to figure out how to use one of ReTe vis Kings to fashion an enchanted, portable lab. Or maybe make a wagon-lab. Could even make it her Talisman....

True, but the combination of Dedicated ReTe vis + Major Philosophic Alchemy = massive Invested Item. The 6 pawns count as 12 pre-opened spaces, plus another 6 from my current alchemy totals. It's a hard stone (4) piece, probably of large size (x4) = 16 + 12 ReTe + 6 Alchemy LT = 340 spell levels of space. And as a Verditus, the opening it only costs (Base 4 x Size 4) -Craft 9 = 7 pawns of vim vis to open that.

Mind you, she's already got two invested items to pour points into, so it's not a burning desire. On the other hand, that should give you some idea of their value.

I think you misunderstand. There is 18 total pawns of ReTe Vis. They can be made up of chess pieces in any combination yielding 18 pawns as long one is the king for 6 pawns.

No, I understood you. What I am saying is that, by the rules of Dedicated Vis, the King, which contains 6 pawns of dedicated ReTe vis, can be opened as a greater item in the manner described above. I have not done the math yet on the other sizes, but I was mentioning it to give some idea of its value and potential use beyond the obvious.

It also weighs 2 stone, if I recall. Not exactly portable or mobile.
The ReTe can be used for multitude of things and is a good candidate for trading. Think of a ritual that requires Re or Te vis...

If you have two kings worth 6 pawns each, and only need 9 pawns of ReTe vis, you waste 3 pawns, because the vis cannot be divided. So I've modified the source to be flexible. They could all be kings, or two kings, or one king. The most common ritual is Hermes Portal which requires 15 pawns of vis, or in this case, 7 pawns of ReTe vis and another pawn of something else. Don't discount the obvious.

Going into your employment issue. Viscaria cannot be a Probationary member unless she renounces her membership in Phoenix. "The status of Probationary Member of the Council may be extended to any magus in good standing of the Order of Hermes, who owes no allegiance nor fealty to any other covenant." But, just because she is a protected guest doesn't prevent her from having a lab.

As far as labs go, yes, there are not enough constructed labs for all the magi, but there is sufficient space. And keep in mind, technically to build a lab someone has to have an MT score of 3 or greater. I cheated with Ulrich when I had him building a lab (actually I made an error, but covered it with Apollodorus supervising the work.

True, but there's also questions of vis access vs payment, princeps duties (which seem to be an important facet of the saga for you as SG), etc, etc. Saying she's either "effectively a probationary member with some RP color," or simply saying, "if you want this gig, you have to sign on to be a probationary member," reduces the tracking headaches down the road. Heck, it reduces the tracking headaches right now.
[/quote]

Getting the apprentice up to 3 to help with this extra lab issue should be a high priority then. Can more than one person work on a lab in the same season? Ie, can Viscaria, Theraphosa and Ulrich spend 1222.spring and 1222.summer working on the same lab for 3x2=6 seasons worth of work improving a lab?