1223-1226 In the Living Years

I really don't think written is a valid specialty.

MRB lists "Prose" as an example. Definition of prose is

It also lists "specific technical language." I don't see how "written" can be any more munchkin than those.

I said it wasn't valid, not that it's munchkin. I wasn't going there, you brought it up. Tell me, would you allow it as a specialty if you were SG? Why?

In the event you say yes, I'll explain my reason for no. Language (written) completely invalidates prose, poetry and special technical vocabulary. Secondly, there's the issue that languages aren't treated like other ability scores. They're automatic and require a sufficient ability score to do something or not. Since there aren't any mechanics beyond that, I'm sticking firm on a score of 4 being eligible to read.

My mistake on the math. for some reason I kept thinking that additional students were just -1 to teaching. Abagail will have to do something else for 3 seasons :slight_smile:

I'm of 2 minds about this.

On one, I know perfectly well that you can be far better at writing a foreign language than at speaking it: I almost never speak english, so when I have to do it, even if I know the words, I don't always know how to spell them, and even when I do, I sometime have trouble forcing my throat to speak the sounds.

OOTH, JL arguments quite make sense, and, well, as I also know perfectly well (and am reminded by erickson), one can have huge gaps he's not even aware of in his vocabulary.

Since this is Dead Greek, I suspect the correct answer by raw would be to do like for latin and have something like Dead Greek (Hermetic Usage) 3 to read, 4 to write, which is a "special technical vocabulary".
Anyway, I don't care much anyway. You might want to shift your seasons so that you get taught 1 by one and not 2 at a time, and it'll be okay :smiley:

Raw suggests that Language score of 4 is necessary to read, and doesn't give any leeway on this.
First place it says it? In the description of Living Language on what the ability evels allow. Although the rules for specialties my be considered to have an effect, the second spot it is suggesting that 4 is necessary to read? In the Insert on page 32, detailing the recommended minimum abilities for starting magi. It lists Latin 4, not Latin 3 with a specialty.

This is exactly where I am at on this.

So, anyway...back to the question of Apollodorus's stuff. As I understand it (which is probably wrong), we have his lab/sanctum here in Mons Electi, and he has a lab/residence in Autun. Both of them need to be inventoried and cataloged, and his lab in Autun needs to be broken down and brought back to Mons Electi.

The lab breaking down, i think, is a seasonal activity. Taking inventory shouldn't be. Does this look like something Sheelagh and Abagail can do?

Breaking down the lab is a season, putting it back together is two seasons. It's a lab in Autun, sanctum without a lab, but space for one at Mont Beuvray, Apollodorus moved it back and forth between Autun and Mons Electi.
With the exception of the Aegis lab texts everything is in Greek. So that will be the key limitation to taking inventory.

So, I'm guessing one of those greek texts must be The Ambulatory Laboratory, then.

So, howsabout we have Sheelagh break down and pack up the laboratory, then start on putting it together (to get it to the Basic level), then have Abagail finish it up since she has the higher Magic Theory score.

Meanwhile, we put all the Greek texts on one shelf in the Library until we figure out which one is what.

Sound like a plan?

When Sheelagh arrives in Summer of 1222, she has an MT of 0, and has just had her Arts opened (Spring).

Right. Which is why she's not doing the full putting it together again. Breaking it down, as far as I...oh, wait. Asterisk. Never mind.

trump trump trump rustle grab Unifying principles of our magic from stacks trump trump trump [color=blue]"Here, Sheelagh. Read this. I will be right here, doing...princeps-y things if you have any questions."

Jacques has done a basic catalog of what is there with a majority of items labeled "written in greek - unknown"

THere is that passage that points to the west....

[color=blue]"Have we followed the passage? Do we know where it leads?"

no. we know it is active. Jacques would not do it without talking to everyone so someone might know where he might be going. Or better yet. someone with Leap of Homecoming should try it.

Said it before, I am quite uncomfortable with the whole "handing precious books over to apprentices". If it was a copy made for that purpose, sure, but this ain't the case.

What age is Sheelagh? 10? Would you lend a precious manuscript to a girl that age, confident that she would give it back without a scratch? Even adults often fail to take care of lent books... Worse, would you lend it if she was succeptible to turbulences?

((moved to Sheelagh's thread.))

Great news!

By Summer 1227, Isen will speak to his fellow magi

I have some good news.
Like I promised, I have finally mastered the 10th magnitude Aegis that Appolodurus left us with. Despite the risk, I am ready to cast it at the next solstice.
I have also learned the Wizard's Communion, to aid in the Aegis casting. Who else has?
We need twenty effective magnitudes at least. That's 5 people able to cast it. Otherwise, my Aegis will be quite useless against supernatural threats.

Also, I have learned the 8th magnitude Watching Ward I brought with me. I stand ready to cast some, either for the covenant's benefit or for one of you. I charge no vis. I charge no vis, of course, save as a provision: Should I fail and be sent to twilight for long enough that it wastes my season, I'd require as much vis as I can extract*, as a compensation.

Finally, should someone be interested in circular wards, I should be able to cast fourth magnitude spells. I do this freely, for the good of the covenant.

• that's 5 pawns

[color=blue]"I can contribute with a 3rd or 6th magnitude Wizard's Communion," Fiona says.

Alexei definitely has an approving look on his face at the mention of the vastly improved Aegis.

"I know a Wizard's Communion spell of the 6th Magnitude and will happily contribute what I can."