1223.1a The Chronicles of Ridicule

Cygna translates this, practically verbatim, for Hiems.

Cygna will follow, as that's where she and Hiems need to go anyway, to figure out where and how they're going.

((I take it no one else sees this?))

[color=red]"That's what I fear, as well."

((edited - beat me to it, on the letter :smiley: ))

((You probably see Vin act out, we can cover the specifics of that when amul indicates, but as far as the beetles, no, not at all.))

As he read the letter, Hiems pales. Although, of course, this makes absolutely no difference to his complexion.

Holy!! Cygna!
This is a declaration of Wizard's War. To Norbert Gunthar, no less. And with the full moon is just in 10 days, this leaves him little time to prepare.

(OOC: I always have trouble with names. So JL, kindly, points to me who NG is... And this is the one time when I actually remembered someone :laughing: )

((Reminder about Wizard's War... declaration must be delivered by the next full moon. War begins at the second full moon, so 38 days hence, and lasts until the third full moon, 66 days hence. Spelling some other things out, Redcaps delivery to addresses, and the Code just specifies that it must be delivered, and not necessarily received by the magus, although that's a wide open hole for a tribunal to resolve... Maybe even a Grand Tribunal.))

I think Norbert is Viscaria's pater.

Bing!

((Is amul going to flip out or what?))

Cygna looks confused. [color=red]"Why would Somnifer be declaring Wizards' War on Viscaria's pater?"

Cygna checks on Vin, but since there's no damage per se, not anything she can do for him short of boring into his mind to see what he saw, but she's not that concerned, since it appears that by invoking his name, Vin somehow triggered a spell that the magus had placed on him. And, likely, the others as well.

[color=red]"Mufarjj," she says in Spanish, [color=red]"it appears that Somnifer has cast a spell, possibly on all of you, that will cause you great pain if you intend to speak ill of him. This is likely a powerful Mentem spell, one I'm not sure I can dispel."

She then turns to Hiems and (in Latin) says, [color=red]"I think our reservations about Somnifer have been confirmed. It seems he cast a spell on the mortals that will cause great pain if they intend to speak ill of him. For a spell that powerful, I'm not sure I can dispel it."

Hiems shakes his head.
I have no clue.
But with Viscaria captive, this can't be a coincidence. This is yet another reason for us to see her as soon as possible

She isn't concerned? Now, ask yourself: How did he do it?
Hiems doesn't have a clue, but he didn't understood what happened to vin either.

(OOC, aside from the "It's a NPC, he can do whatever he likes" thing, which I hate (and which I don't think JL would do), I see only one way of doing exactly what he did* within the RAW. Do you? :smiley:)

*That is, Vin said somnifer, was struck down, and somnifer spoke directly to him

O_o
Fascinating, says Hiems. And it makes him all the more untrustworthy.
But I wonder. How did he do it? I can see a watching ward working, but this is a ritual, he wouldn't have had the opportunity to cast it, and it would only work once, so we must discard it... Ask them, did he give them some item? I can see an Intellego Imaginem effect doing the trick if linked to another spell, but it would require some kind of cursed item.*

He ponders a little
We should wait a little, give him a chance to return, and then confront him. If he doesn't, we should check on Viscaria.

• Nor is this a workable solution, since it doesn't include Somnifer talking to Vin, unless there was also a "pre-recorded" CrMe message

Vin spends most of his energy while being devoured trying not to scream. He probably passes out from the pain, if only briefly.

When he awakes, he discovers Cygna and Hiems discussing the mechanics of his assault -- a cold reminder of just how inhuman these magi often are.

The Redcap before Vin says, "So about that message?" He has a concerned look on his face, but he was being engaged to do something, and so feels compelled to see that it is done to the best of his abilities, or be released.

Vin looks to the magi around him, seeing if any of them will speak up. If they do not, he'll turn to the messenger and say, "I think you saw what sort of man he is. I'd like others to know what a gentle spirit he is."

He steels himself for another unbearable experience.

[color=red]"I agree. Next stop, then, is this...Lapus Crudus?"

((I probably phrased that poorly. By "not concerned" I meant not concerned about his physical health, since he's obviously unharmed. Magically, she is curious, and would like to know, not only how (presumably) Somnifer did what he did, but how it can be prevented from happening again.))

Cygna turns to Mufarjj. [color=red]"Did Somnifer give any of you anything?"

[color=red]"Agreed. We should wait until sundown..." She looks skyward, trying to gauge the time of day by where the sun is*, [color=red]"or mid-day, whichever. If he's not back by then, we should make our way to Lapus Crudus."

If he does pass out, or even looks like he's in a world of hurt, Wen will be all over him, trying to see what's wrong with her Chirurgy skill (Int/Per 1 + Chirurgy 3).

• Per 0 + Wilderness Sense 1 + die roll of 3 = 4. Hopefully it's obscenely easy.

"No, but our method of travel was confusing, as if we were in a dream. I do not know when we were walking or sleeping. Every morning we were someplace other than where we stopped for the night."

Well, I can tell you he doesn't appear to be hurt. How's that? :laughing:

"Saw what? That he's a magus of House Merinita? I don't take your meaning. What do you want to say, man?"

If it seems that way, Hiems will be steered to do something, begin a move towards Vin, realize he can't do something, and then stop (Also, he's back in cold mode since the bit above^^)

Of course, this is only because he's curious to see how the spell works, not because of any compassion :wink:

(Edited because Hiems doesn't know Somnifer cast a spell on Vin. Now that I think of it, we should edit the whole sequence above)

No one saw Somnifer cast a spell on Vin.
No one, except Vin saw the effect, so Heims comments are stricken...
To everyone present it looked like Vin had a fit for a couple of minutes, his body went rigid and he didn't speak and probably grunted out in pain.

Vin will dismiss the redcap and fume silently in the corner.

True to his word (ha!) Somnifer returns through the Confluensis portal. To Heims he says, "Does the letter appear to be in order?"

Cygna, to Hiems: oO ((yes, she's been picking up some of his mannerisms. :smiley: ))

Hiems is quite wary of somnifer. He doesn't trust the guy. By now, he thinks Somnifer just wanted him to know what he'd do. This can't be a coincidence, although he lacks the information (about Somnifer and Viscaria) to draw the right conclusions.

He gives back the letter, calmly, albeit reluctantly.
As far as I can tell. I am confident you know better than me. Are you sure you want to do this?

:smiley:

"Of course I am, don't be silly. How else should I avenge my daughter and granddaughter?" He says that as if Heims should understand exactly what he means.
"I will turn all his dreams to nightmares, and his waking moments will be worse. For a month he will wail in abject horror and he will beg for mercy and know my name." Somnifer seems to become visibly darker, his flesh becomes gray as he speaks.
"But you best be on your way to help Viscaria. She needs your help. I must take these with me, as it was my agreement with Viscaria." He points at Mufarjj and Vin. "She can return with you. Or come with me, and declare Wizard's War with me, and we shall smite him mightily." He cackles maniacally just after he says this.