1223.3 Have You Ever Danced With the Devil?

Korvin smiles. "I have not met the bishop yet. I can go with you and we can continue the conversation on the way. You never know if you can convince me of telling you about the Covenant."

"Well, my business with the bishop is private. And you've at least confirmed my suspicion that your covenant has little involvement with the Church. Would you happen to know of a way I could be at his summer residence by this afternoon? It's in Givry, which is probably 50 miles as the crow flies. It's obvious I'll never make it in time." He wiggles his fat fingers in a sad pantomime of hermetic gestures...

I'm afraid not. Doing something like that requires certain heavenly bodies to be in alignment as well as certain connections to the place. I thought he was in Autun? We could lend you a horse if it is that close.

"Of course, he has a residence in Autun, but his summer residence is at Givry, a bit further east and a bit to the south. I had misread his Grace's request to join him at his summer residence and only discovered my predicament this morning. Given our exchange of letters and my hope that you were men of the Order, I had hoped that you had sufficient skill to transport me to Gifry quickly."
At the mention of a horse, the idea that this round man would ride in a horse seems a bit absurd, and his face displays the full disdain he has towards getting on a horse and riding.

((If I had offered him a mule to ride, as befits his bulk, I might have gotten even more disdain))

I am sorry about that. It just can't be done. I had someone tell me that doing something like that makes one's hair fall out. I'll look into that. Perhaps we could send our runner in advance with a message from you to the Bishop explaining the delay. She might reach Givry in late afternoon or early evening.

"Mocking me, are you? You didn't believe I knew any Magi... I know quite a bit about how you do what you do. Good day, sir." He hustles his portly bulk out of the room and out of the manor as quickly as he can, which isn't all that quick.

Korvin follows Théofil out. I did not mean to offend and I was not mocking you. But you showed up, introduce yourself and ask that we somehow transport you 50 miles because you did not realize that you needed to be in Givry this afternoon. And if you know quite a bit about us then you would know that it is next to impossible and quite unlikely. To paraphrase Heraclitus of Ephesus* , a mistake on your part does not make it an emergency on my part. If you wish us to help and work with you, you should allow us to get to know you and respect our Order's rules.

*Totally BS'ing at this point :slight_smile:

"Ahh, but you see, I know it has been done by others, now I know you are incapable of doing it. Moving men from place to place quickly either by flying carpets or other means and instantaneous transport from one place to another is a reputed ability for many in your Order. Very well, I'll make my way to Givry, and perhaps I can intercept his Grace on the road on his journey back to his winter residence." Korvin gets the impression that he's been measured and his capabilities and that of Mons Electi have been assessed. ((That's a freebie, by the way.)) Théofil continues to move his portly bulk on his way out of the covenant.

((As i figured which is why I was vague. BTW, what is the name of the Bishop for the region?))

((How would a pagan know? Does Korvin have a relevant Lore ability?))

((no but he can ask Renaud who as a local lore of Area Lore: Bibracte of 2 by this point. I need to get his sheet on OP and his years on the Magi planner))

((And you bring up the single most concerning issue I had with you running a Magical Mercere and a redcap both, bringing them together in such a way that solves problems I present to the player...simply. Let's say that Renaud is away on his season of service. He might show up sometime in the next month. You can wait to ask him. You'll have created other situations by that time.))

((I would love that someone else run Renaud so I do not need Deus ex Machina or meta-gaming ))

((How about just go looking for someone else because Renaud is unavailable? Either asking a player to play a grog who might know, or making the grog go find out?))

((If I may suggest - how about Henri, Reynault's "apprentice" and presumably heir-apparent to his major-domo position? If you want (and if I have any rough guidelines as to age and what he shall/can't have, I can stat him up on MC using Grogs this afternoon.))

((I was going to do that but everyone likes to jump the gun :stuck_out_tongue: ))

((Assuming that Korvin asks Henri who the local bishop is.))

"The new bishop is Gautier II," Henri says. "I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him myself, magus, but I hear that he is no friend of the Cathars."

Cathars? What are the Cathars?

((Thanks. As mentioned in another thread I have a massive head cold and the excess mucus is clogging the thought processes.))

((Just for my clarification is this Korvin asking, or are you unfamiliar with the Cathars and the Albigensian Crusade?))

((Korvin would be asking because he would not know. I did not know as well but I can look it up.))