1224.1: Come Sail Away

She'll politely decline, saying she needs to get back to her studies...

Aodhan ponders for a moment or two before answering. "OK, so let's get the particulars. I've never been down below as you have. When you have gone under deeply, did you use Eyes of the Cat? Did that provide the level of sight you need? If so, that's a first magnitude enchantment. From there I'd need to know if you want the item on all the time or you wish to activate it, presumably for Sun Duration, which should give enough time I would think. So, Sun Duration, perhaps 3 uses per day, just in case. I could go with as many as 12 uses per day and not add to the cost in vis, but that might be a bit unnecessary...it'd be a strange situation that you'd need to keep re-casting it. Now...so far we're talking a small investment. I'd need 1 pawn of Muto or Corpus just to enchant it, the ring we'd want to be simple, I can make one of brass or tin. It would take a season of my time..." his mutterings start trail off as he remembers the last distributed letter from House Verditius on minimum charges for items for one's sodales.

"The big question of course is if you want the item to penetrate your resistance or not. As a monster hunter, and without getting too personal, I'd assume your resistance was formidable. That can be expensive."

((I leant out my Mystery House book and can't recall the exact price. It's the vis required plus something like twice the amount of vis Aodhan can pull from an aura can anyone post the formula?))

((Standard vis price is twice the vis necessary to make it in addition to the vis required to make it. Isn't that just 3x the vis necessary to make it?))

((Maybe? I'm just not sure, anyone that can double check))

((That's from the book...))

((If it were always on, that would give him 1 WP per year, right? And yes,the vis cost is the vis needed to create the item, plus double that. So, if it costs you 5 pawns to do something, you would charge 15. 5 for "parts" and 10 for "labor".))

[color=red]"I would think half a dozen uses a day would be sufficient...there are times I'm in and out of the water, but I don't always go down deep enough that the light is an issue. There are times I go in at night, though. As far as my resistance goes...I think it would be better to put in as much penetration as you're able. My Resistance is sufficient that I'm not often hurt by magic, but I do plan on increasing my ability to resist magic in the future, and I'd rather not have to get a new ring every time I do."

Aodhan looks the magus up and down and frowns. "Well, we'll see if it's enough. So at 6 uses per day, and the rest of the power going into bypassing your resistance..."

((The lab total I've come up with so far is 38. The enchantment is level 8 at 6 uses per day. I have to double the level which could be max 19, which means I can put in 11 levels of Penetration, for a total Pen bonus of 22, which I somehow doubt will be enough. An item like that would require 2 pawns of vis. But even if he squeezes in another point or two of lab total he'd still not likely make a Penetration total that would work for long, and it would raise the price if he raises the item's level by 3 or more.))

He finally shrugs. "It would require two pawns of Muto or Corpus vis for the ring I have in mind, and I would charge an additional four for my labour. My concern is that it still might not penetrate and even if it does...I bet with some work on your Parma and Arts it would later on become useless to penetrate. I'd make the activation of it something simple, something that you could do with the one hand, such as rotating it with a motion of your thumb. If this is to your liking, then I'll take a measure of your finger and get to work once I return, I'd need an initial down payment of half the total vis, 2 pawns of it being necessary to make the ring. What do ye say?"

Aeliophanes thinks for a minute before he shakes his head. [color=red]"There are two Verditius magi at Favonius who are much older than you seem to be. I'm certain they could install the effect with enough penetration to bypass my resistance. If they can't, I'll write you."

[color=red]"But what of a device that will have the water push me to my ship, or to wherever I need pushed to? Can that be done?"

[strike]((I've done a lot of thinking about enchanting a ship as a player, and have been guided by Hermetic Projects. IT would be helpful if Ars had a standard size chart... His ship is roughly the size of a lighter, I'd imagine. relative to ships, it is a +3. The Whoa Buoy and her sisters are medium cogs, and +6 sized ships. Large cogs are +7. How does that relate to shape and material chart? I can only interpolate a bit. A boat is x5, per the S&M. Aeliophanes ship is probably a x6 multiplier. Talia's is probably a x7 multiplier for investing with vis. That's just the hull size. Theres also the Keel x5, the rudder x4. So as a whole item, compound device, Aeliophanes ship is 2x6+2x5+2x4=30 or 2x6=12. Talia won't be building a lab large enough to enchant a ship until she's completed reading (4 seasons) Arguing with One's Reflection. Mainly due to the expense of having such a large lab and not using it right away.))[/strike]

((I shouldn't post when I'm sick. I originally read push my ship... Blech.))

Aodhan frowns, he may have talked himself out of a sale, but it was better to be honest in the long run. The perspective new item had promise.

"Hmm that faces similar problems as the first, if it moves you it needs to penetrate your resistance." he pauses as he thinks of an alternative. "But if the item only pushes itself and you happen to be holding onto it or attached to it...then it should work! Plus the range would be Personal, which saves some power. Now...if it moves to the boat, then it has to detect the boat, and then the second function would be the movement. That would be an invested item; it would take longer and require more vis. But if it were to merely bring you to the surface much the way that wood floats, that could help you, it could keep you above water easily. A ring probably would not be best for that, perhaps a van bracer or maybe even a belt? You'd want it to have strong floating power, but also have a firm anchoring point; as a ring it could break your finger. Yes, we can do this, the item would not need to penetrate this way. The main question would be if you want it to detect your boat and pull you to it or if you merely wanted it to bring you to the surface."

((I'm correct in my thinking for this right?))

((I was actually thinking of an item that would push him in whichever direction he wanted...to the surface, in the direction of the boat, toward shore, toward the monster, whatever.))

((OK then, the concept would be the same, it would be the item moving but at such force that it takes him with it, it would still only require one affect as he steering the item would thus steer him, right?))

((Right. It would be a ReAq effect...the fact that it pushes him in the direction he wants to go is a convenient side-effect, if I have it pictured right.))

((Or it could be a Rego Terram if it was a brass bracelet or something, basically the item acts as a vehicle which pulls the wearer. But you'd only want to use it underwater as the water offsets the weight. I was thinking of Rego Item Form, rather than Rego Aquam, but at the end of the day my lab total is likely to be the same, Aodhan is such a generalist.))

((Now that I'm thinking about it, wouldn't Rego Aquam need to penetrate? If using ReAq to direct a stream of water (while on land) at someone with a parma, and the magic is resisted, the person still gets wet, the water hits them but without force. Wouldn't that be the same thing here? The water moves against them without force, so if it has no force it really couldn't move someone could it?))

((Dang it, you're right. Ah well...it was a good idea while it lasted.))

((But a Rego Terram for a metal bracer would right?))

((I'm assuming you meant to post this here instead of over yonder.))

((So, are we looking at a brass bracer that, when activated, pulls the wearer in the direction he wishes to go, then?))

((Yeah, whoops, sorry about that. I deleted the post from that thread. Talia would want to come back and discuss other things with Aeliophanes the next day or so, before arriving at Verdi.))

Aeliophanes isn't hard to find. When he's not down in the commons, he's up on deck, looking out over the crystal blue blanket of water.

[color=red]"Beautiful, isn't it?" he says when Talia approaches, without giving any other indication that he's noticed her.