1227.2t Line of Dimication

((Folk Ken roll: Per 2 + Folk Ken 3 + stress die 3 = 8.)) Tranquillina doesn't seem to have any suspicions about Rose's eavesdropping. In appearance, Tranquillina also has a pale complexion, with hazel eyes and brownish-red hair that has been put up elaborately for this formal occasion. She is wearing a splendid* green formal dress, one that hybridizes the traditional Hermetic robes with a more secular outfit of local provenance; the symbol of House Bonisagus is prominently displayed on a large brooch in the middle of the neckline. Her voice is loud and smooth, her posture excellent, and her face almost seems to glow; she seems forceful and authoritative despite appearing only fifteen years old or so. ((Feel free to make a Perception + Awareness roll to see a little more about her.))

Especially after stressing out about the judgment of the Tribunal attendees earlier in the week, Tranquillina is vastly pleased (and relieved) to hear this assessment, although she tries to hide it.
((Guile roll: Pre 2 + Guile (faking confidence) 4 + stress die 5 = 11.))
"We aim to provide all our guests with the most positive possible experience," she affirms, then laughs kindly. "I hope that the members of your House in attendance have the same unanimity on this evaluation as you do during Tribunal votes! Have Maris, or Stentorius, or the other Tremere also commented on the facilities?"

Tranquillina adopts a thoughtful expression. She wanders west through the streets of the Tribunal city with Rose in tow. "The honest answer is not a surprising one: we are absolutely open to the possibility of admitting new magi - but also, we must make such decisions carefully." She looks over at Rose, not unkindly. "What can you tell me about your Hermetic strengths and aspirations? How do you feel you would best contribute to a covenant of which you were a member?"

Alexei had been wandering the Tribunal with Brionne and Michel in tow, looking for someone apparently, when he finally finds Tranquilana and the young Rose. He's still flush from his appointment as Hoplite and had spent long hours celebrating the night before on magical wine, so as to prevent the morning hangover.

"Ah, Tranquilana I am glad I found you. And is this Rose? I believe I met you only briefly in England, yes? It is good to see you." He offers both ladies a kiss on their cheeks. "I was told that you were speaking with one of the Quaesitor from a house other than Guernicus? I've been seeking one, I need to acquire some books on the law with my new duties, my own knowledge is not as good as my exuberance I feel. Is he still about?"

((Perception (2) + Folk Ken (Magi) 3 + 1d10=6 = 11))

((Noob question no.1 = I'm not sure how contested rolls are handled. Do you need to meet, exceed the roll?. I'm guessing Rose may have gained a small insight, something along the lines of knowing that this was important to Tranquillina but not that she was stressed by it?))

Rose takes a sharp intake of breath, overwhelmed and eager by the excitement that she may be well received.

Rose begins speaking at incredible pace, with no discernible division between sentences.Maris hasn't commented to me directly, but I did overhear her having a discussion with another. I'm afraid I don't know their name, but they were most impressed with Mons Electi and Maris appeared to agree. That is why I sought you out. I would definitely be a great asset to the Covenant, I ... Rose pauses for a second, partly to regain her breath, partly because she realises the speed of her delivery. After the briefest moment of composure she begins anew, much more controlled and confident.

I have always prided myself on being a very astute learner, and as you may know I completed my apprenticeship in 12 years. Maris even believes that I could have completed it years before then. I know spells of the 4th magnitude but Maris believes me easily capable of learning those of the 5th magnitude if they are Rego orientated. My main interest though... She pales off, noticing Alexei approach.

Rose's face wrinkles to a point of confusion as she tries to understand why Alexei would think they met in England, but appears to think better of challenging him. Instead she smiles warmly but with a slight hint of nervousness. As Alexei moves to kiss her on the cheek Rose instinctively withdraws, ever so slightly. Embarrassed that her apprehension may be misconstrued she leans forward, very affectionately, her face flushing crimson as she realises she has overcompensated.

The colour in her cheeks remains as she hears of the Chief Hoplite's interest in the Quaesitors and his desire to learn more of the Code. Her excitement yet again getting the better of her, she replies in Tranquillia's stead without any heed of it being clearly impolitic.

If I may... She doesn't stop for confirmation ...the two Quaesitors outside House Guernicus are not of the Normandy Tribunal. They would almost certainly be unfamiliar with precedents that apply here, especially as it relates to your eminent new appointment, at least not those of any renown. Her youthful lips begin to form a slightly cheeky but very friendly grin. I'd imagine their texts equally focuses on Grand Tribunal decisions or those of their local Tribunal. Rose stops briefly to gauge any reaction.

((If she is stopped, she is not foolish. Eager, enthusiastic, but not foolish. She would remain silent and hope for a forgiving reply. If she is not stopped she would continue))

However, I was just about to inform Tranquillina of my particular interest in the Code, especially Tribunal Procedures. I could also gain access to some texts which naturally will be more relevant. I'm also useful at scribing copies of texts. All of these things would be very useful in a Covenmate... She quickly trails off, realising that Alexei will be unaware of her request to join. She smiles awkwardly and brings herself back to a calm composed position. She smiles. Affectionately.

Oops I missed this part.

Perception (2) + Awareness (2) + 1d10=1

Not sure if this would be Simple or Stress (she certainly feels anxious).

Simple = 5
Stress = + 1d10=4 x 2 = 12

((I actually meant to say something about this, but forgot - thanks for asking. With interactions between PCs, these rolls are really a guide or suggestion to our roleplay, not binding. In this case, it spurs me to add:))
Despite Tranquillina's carefully crafted image, Rose gets the impression that the maga does seem to be under some stress.

Tranquillina smiles broadly at this news. "I am so glad that our efforts have made a positive impact. - If you should happen," she adds casually, "to learn the name of Maris's conversation partner, I would be happy to send him a note of thanks."

"Good day, Alexei," Tranquillina responds. Apparently some of the wine the night before had been non-magical after all, with the way he mispronounced her name. As Alexei moves from her cheek to Rose's, Tranquillina catches the young maga's gaze and rolls her eyes with a smile on her face. "I am so proud of your election to Chief Hoplite of Normandy! Your speech," she says, breathing deeply, "your speech was outstanding. You are so deserving, and you reflect well upon Mons Electi. - As for your query, yes, I talked with Quaesitor Rataxes ex Verditius a while ago today. He is a genial - "

"Hmm, that is a valid point," Tranquillina muses, "I would not have thought of that."

Tranquillina jumps in smoothly, explaining to Alexei, "Rose has recently completed her Gauntlet - quite quickly, I might add - and she has approached me, on her mater Maris's advice, about the possibility of joining Mons Electi." It seems like she could say more, but she pauses and regards Alexei deferentially.

((Didn't Alexei meet Rose, literally when he and Ra'am and his daughter and apprentice fell off the flying carpet?))

((Actually, I don't think that the characters were introduced, directly. She was not part of the Ritual Communion to heal Ra'am. And, I'm not finding any nexus, except for some passing comments from Ulrich, which was four years ago, and easily forgotten.))

((OK we'll chalk it up to him being on urgent business, but had heard about Rose through the talk about Ulrich))

Alexei listens with interest to both ladies. He makes a formal bow at the mention of his election. "Merci beaucoup."

"I was hoping to hear from Quaesitors outside Guernicus...outside Normandy even, so that I might get that outsider's perspective, if you know what I mean? I am an outsider myself..don't let my near perfect French accent fool you." he pauses to laugh, his Latin and French accent is about as German as the Black Forest itself. "Our customs here need an outsider's perspective I feel." At the mention of Rose entering Mons Electi, Alexei's smile widens.

"Truly? That is wonderful! Of course such a thing must be approved by the council. I shall extend a probationary invitation to you, on Tranquillina's recommendation. From there we can start with the process of aprroving your petition. I'll have to look at the charter and see what steps are followed next. My suggestion young Rose, prepare to meet with the rest of Mons Electi...and impress them with your dedication and desire to join. And I'm sure you will."

"Well then, Rose, you had said about books, if you can procure them I shall definitely bring that up as part of your willingness to be a part of our Covenant." He bows to them again. "Thank you Sodales, I bid you a good day."

((Yes, but that was the north of France, not England.))

((Yep...bad eyes and short ranged magic...))

Despite her efforts to hold back, Rose conveys a look of panic as she realises the impertinence of suggesting Alexei's pursuit was misplaced. A palpable sigh of relief washes over as she realises this does not appear to have been held against her.

As Rose returns Alexei's goodbyes, she turns on her heels clearly intent on rushing away. Realising her umpteenth faux pas she quickly turns back to Tranquillina.

"I....I was just going to head off... to see if I can get those books for Alexei. You have both been so generous. I shall do all I can to prove I am worthy of Mons Electi."

She smiles, patiently, waiting this time to be dismissed.

((As soon as is dismissed she will do whatever she can to obtain relevant books on the code)).

"You will find Rataxes a genial fellow," Tranquillina hurries to say to Alexei before he departs. "Um, I might suggest that you avoid any topics having to do with his official work here at Tribunal ... that should give the best chance of his remaining comfortable sharing his knowledge with you."

Tranquillina nods her goodbye to Alexei and turns to Rose. "It is kind of you to volunteer for such an errand. But let us not part ways so soon." She motions to Rose, eyebrows raised in the manner of someone who knows that she can't politely be refused, and continues through the Tribunal city. Soon they reach a large gate in the tall western wall, guarded both by a ring carved into the stone walkway and three serious grogs with the green triserpent livery of Mons Electi. "There is a ward here, but cast forcelessly, so worry not," she calls over her shoulder as she leads Rose through. Both feel their Parma Magica deflect a spell, followed by the cessation of the faint tingling that accompanies the Tribunal's Aegis of the Hearth.

Past they gate, they see before them a magnificant stone bridge, spanning several hundred paces across a steep chasm below. "I have had little extended experience with Tremere magi before," Tranquillina mentions as they start to traverse the bridge. "How might your understandable obligations to your House interfere with the duties of membership to a covenant?"

"You will find Rataxes a genial fellow," Tranquillina hurries to say to Alexei before he departs. "Um, I might suggest that you avoid any topics having to do with his official work here at Tribunal ... that should give the best chance of his remaining comfortable sharing his knowledge with you."

Tranquillina nods her goodbye to Alexei and turns to Rose. "It is kind of you to volunteer for such an errand. But let us not part ways so soon." She motions to Rose, eyebrows raised in the manner of someone who knows that she can't politely be refused, and continues through the Tribunal city. Soon they reach a large gate in the tall western wall, guarded both by a ring carved into the stone walkway and three serious grogs with the green triserpent livery of Mons Electi. "There is a ward here, but cast forcelessly, so worry not," she calls over her shoulder as she leads Rose through. Both feel their Parma Magica deflect a spell, followed by the cessation of the faint tingling that accompanies the Tribunal's Aegis of the Hearth.

Past they gate, they see before them a magnificant stone bridge, spanning several hundred paces across a steep chasm below. "I have had little extended experience with Tremere magi before," Tranquillina mentions as they start to traverse the bridge. "How might your understandable obligations to your House interfere with the duties of membership to a covenant?"

((Hiden post))

((Hiden post))

((Bit confused. My post (saying goodbye to Alexei seems to have gone missing and i cannot see the original of the above? Do I respond anyway?))

((The forum is hiding lots of posts these days - although this thread seems particularly bad for that. They always seem to be visible when we reply to a thread (scrolling down at the bottom), so I'm quoting your reply here to hopefully render it re-visible. (as opposed to revisable, which it's not - perfect as is! :wink: ))

((So, I have Rose and Tranquillina basically departing and Alexei is going to try and chase down Rataxes?))

((No, in my twice-hidden post I said not-so-fast to Rose, and we're still talking - unless she wants to CROSS ME :imp: :wink: ))

((Yay...Certamen!!!! JOKE JOKE!! :smiley: ))