1227.2t Line of Dimication

((Starting this thread for the PCs efforts to investigate the investigation of Praxiteles's death. Maybe a few of the posts from the Dimicatio thread can be moved here.))

Tranquillina is extremely suspicious of the integrity of the Quaesitors' decision as well. She will seek out a conversation with the Verditius Quaesitor who was part of the investigating panel. (If for some reason he/she isn't available, Tranquillina will try the Bjornaer Quaesitor, then the actual House Guernicus members ... but hopefully the Verditius will talk to her.)

Tranquillina finds the Verditius Quaesitor after the Dimicatio (he stays behind to judge) and introduces herself.. "Quaesitor Rataxes Verditii, at your service. What can I do for you, Tranquillina?

Roberto sends word to the other member magi of the covenant that he'd like a private meeting as soon as convienent.
To Carlos (his herald)
[color=brown]Tell them I have a plan...

(Each morning of the Tribunal and Tournament, Tranquillina is using her cloak's Aura of Ennobled Presence effect on herself, so it should be active here.)

"I am honored to make your acquaintance, Quaesitor Rataxes," Tranquillina replies, shaking his hand. "Thank you for the time you are donating to the Dimicatio. This Tribunal and Tournament could not possibly succeed without the kind efforts of volunteers such as yourself." ((Charm roll: Prs 2 or Com 3 + Charm 2 + stress die 2 = 6 or 7. Add 3 if AoEP applies, but maybe not so much for charming first impressions.))

"As you know, I am one of the members of this hosting covenant's council; as such, I am often approached by the visiting magi for information on the Tribunal's events. Sadly, many of these queries have touched upon the subject of the tragedy in yesterday's Dimicatio, resulting in Praxiteles's death." Tranquillina takes a deep breath, looking down respectfully, before continuing. "Though I would like nothing more than for those sad events to remain in the past, I feel I have the responsibility to be in possession of the best information I can, to steer grieving guests away from unfounded rumors. May I ask about the investigating panel of Quaesitors, upon which you served: Have you worked together before? What did you find about Valerian's spell?"

((My plan is to make an Intrigue roll to discover what I can about Rataxes's political allies or agenda, and then possibly to influence his actions or get him to divulge secrets, depending, with another roll.... Let me know when I should make such rolls.))

He seems eager to talk about it, as if the conclusion he and the other Quaesitores arrived at was the only right conclusion. "I've been involved in several investigations before, but not with anyone on this team, but I'm aware of all of them by reputation and have read their legal opinions and their cases. In any event, I was the Quaesitor responsible for Restoring the Faded Threads. The magnitude of that spell was such that the power could be nothing other than a botch, it would require a magus capable of working Creo or Rego Terram effects in excess of 20th magnitude! Such spells are certainly possible, but it requires a focus of some sort. Valerian has no known focus in stone to account for the high level Traces found. Further, investigation of the sigil trace had irregularities consistent with a botched spell, Valerian's sigil was only nominally part of the magic. For those reasons, the strength of the trace inconsistent with Valerian's Arts and specialties and his sigil being overcome with a sigil similar to what is seen on a botch suggests that the tragedy must be a botch."
Rataxes takes a deep breath, "It was such a tragedy, too. Praxiteles was a gifted artist. And I understand he and Valerian were amicus. Valerian was extremely emotional about these events. His career as a Hoplite is probably over." He leans in conspiriatorily, "I overheard Bilera tell him he would be recalled to Magvillus and assigned to duties in service to the Inner and Outer councils." And when he says that, he realizes he's said too much, "Oh dear me, what have I done. I am a flibbertigibbet. I ask you a boon that you not repeat any of this to anyone.

"Really? From my memories, imprecise though they be, Valerian seems extremely capable with controlling stone," Tranquillina counters, her brow furrowed. "But now I worry that I misremember. What information did you and the panel have about his Arts and specialties, to assist you in your determinations?"

At the description of the sigil anomaly, Tranquillina's eyes become distant, as she seeks to understand the implications. "Forgive me, Rataxes, but this is rather unfamiliar territory for me. When you say 'nominally part of the magic', I'm not sure what you mean. How is that forensically distinguished from some other situation in which, say, a magus suppresses his sigil, or a second magus casts a spell with the aim of implicating the first? - I hope you don't mind that your description was engaging enough to make me ask what must be naive questions for an experienced Quaesitor."

((He seems to be honestly recounting a plausible tale, but he could be a very good actor. Per 2 + Folk Ken 3 + stress die 8 = 13.))

"I chatted with Praxiteles just a few days ago. I can barely bring myself to believe that he is dead." Tranquillina rubs at her eyes, then offers a pretty smile of confusion at Rataxes. "Pardon? Oh, please, sodalis, I don't concern myself overmuch with the dirty laundry of the various Houses. You can safely forget what you might have mentioned to me - I have already done so." ((Yeah, right: Com 3 + Guile 3 + AoEP 3 + stress die 1 / exploder 5 = 19. I feel like I should change her specialty in Guile to "playing dumb". :slight_smile: ))

Rataxes doesn't seem interested in saying anymore. He will engage on chit chat but he seems to have clammed up.

Tranquillina thanks Rataxes sincerely for speaking with her.

((Ideas from the peanut gallery?))

Shot in the dark. I think Valarian has super-Rego powers. Or someone involved does. A spell botch making an attack spell more effective seems really really strange. Magnitudes of Rego way beyound what they think Valarian is capable of. But what if he has a Rego score like Apollodorus had. Not quite. But what if he wrote a Summa and Valarian Read it. If my Rego score is 88 or whatever, I can write a level 44 book. Or a level 22 with a bonus of +22 quality. Or one of each.
Wild guess and probably way off.
Or just slightly off.
Penut Gallery thoughts :slight_smile:

Well, Roberto wants to bring everyone together...and has a plan...

Sort of :slight_smile:
It has to be kept uber private...

Not sure of what your timing is, but keeping it until after everyone departs from the Tournament might be best... :smiley:

Good point. I shall presume Carlos knows what I am thinking, and being the one with better social skills, my loyal sidekick advises me appropriately.

As Tranquillina is leaving Rataxes, she runs into Rose...

"Salve, sodalis," Tranquillina greets Rose with a smile. "I hope you have recovered from the Certamen tournament a couple of days ago. I know I needed plenty of rest after your mater took care of me without breaking a sweat."
((Who won the Certamen tourney anyway?))

"Salve" There is a slightly awkward pause and an ever so slight blush across Rose's otherwise pale complexion. She stands with a subtle unease, her weight shifting slightly from side to side. ((Upon reflection Tranquillina may gain the impression Rose was loitering. This was not with the purpose of eavesdropping (evident from how she had deliberately stood with some distance) but most likely to create an opportunity of gaining Tranquillina's attention)).

"I have recovered, thank you for asking. She appears to deliberately avoid commenting directly on the ease of her Mater's victory, almost certainly through good manners.

I wonder if I might trouble you for some assistance. The source of her unease - if not already disclosed - is apparent as she looks briefly up in to Tranquillina's eyes and then away. There is a clear sense that she wishes to avoid being seen as a nuisance. Maris, has pressed upon me the need to find a suitable covenant who will offer me membership. Her eyes dart back towards Tranquillina's, making momentary contact accompanied by a very pleasant smile. This has the air of someone who is genuinely warm. It is difficult for me to express how esteemed Mons Electi is viewed without sounding like an idol flatterer, but the facts do speak for themselves. Her tone becomes slightly more confident, as if speaking with genuine conviction. Rose looks around her as if gesturing to the Tribunal that has been hosted and the events thus far. And what with Alexi being honoured as Chief Hoplite and .... She quickly pales off, realising that her enthusiasm is at best going to be viewed as naïve.

She blushes again. "I'm sorry, but I do sometimes allow my passion to get the better of me. I of course do not expect any favours and am happy to prove myself. Alternatively, might you recommend another covenant that would be suitable? Her final words are tinged with imploring hope; hope particularly that Tranquillina does not take up the offer of directing her elsewhere.

"Salve" There is a slightly awkward pause and an ever so slight blush across Rose's otherwise pale complexion. She stands with a subtle unease, her weight shifting slightly from side to side. ((Upon reflection Tranquillina may gain the impression Rose was loitering. This was not with the purpose of eavesdropping (evident from how she had deliberately stood with some distance) but most likely to create an opportunity of gaining Tranquillina's attention)).

"I have recovered, thank you for asking. She appears to deliberately avoid commenting directly on the ease of her Mater's victory, almost certainly through good manners.

I wonder if I might trouble you for some assistance. The source of her unease - if not already disclosed - is apparent as she looks briefly up in to Tranquillina's eyes and then away. There is a clear sense that she wishes to avoid being seen as a nuisance. Maris, has pressed upon me the need to find a suitable covenant who will offer me membership. Her eyes dart back towards Tranquillina's, making momentary contact accompanied by a very pleasant smile. This has the air of someone who is genuinely warm. It is difficult for me to express how esteemed Mons Electi is viewed without sounding like an idol flatterer, but the facts do speak for themselves. Her tone becomes slightly more confident, as if speaking with genuine conviction. Rose looks around her as if gesturing to the Tribunal that has been hosted and the events thus far. And what with Alexi being honoured as Chief Hoplite and .... She quickly pales off, realising that her enthusiasm is at best going to be viewed as naïve.

She blushes again. "I'm sorry, but I do sometimes allow my passion to get the better of me. I of course do not expect any favours and am happy to prove myself. Alternatively, might you recommend another covenant that would be suitable? Her final words are tinged with imploring hope; hope particularly that Tranquillina does not take up the offer of directing her elsewhere.

((Rose successfully eavesdropped on the conversation with Rataxes.))

((Rose tries to position herself and use body language to suggest otherwise))

Communication (1) + Guile (1) + Die (7) = 9

((Use InvisibleCastle for die rolls invisiblecastle.com and then include a link to the roll.))