1227.3 What Happens Next

Every little bit helps. Korvin acknowledges Stultus But the short term cash flow can be solved by a simple spell. I'm worried about the long term cash flow.

Alexei is frowning as the topic of magically created silver is being more seriously considered.

"I have to voice an objection my sodales. It is obvious I didn't realize the state of our coffers and looking back I can't help but think of expenses I have likely accrued that now seem excessive, even frivilous. But I for one feel that the problem of silver should not be solved by magically creating it. I have no objection with magic aiding in silver production, or even being a product of it; much as a Verditius might employ. I do have a problem with simply conjuring it by ritual. It seems...wasteful and too easy. Plus it sidesteps our obvious problems without engaging the real solutions we might employ. Should we so quickly turn to this solution, or can we not employ our means and solve it another way? Plus I can't help but think that there might be unconsidered consequnces in conjured silver."

Stultus nods at the Flambeau. "True enough. Please add my half a vote to Alexei's, here -- half a vote for half a man, seems apropos. Creating silver out of thin air is likely to bring the Quaesitors down on our heads -- just because there's no rule against it in Normandy doesn't mean they can't use that rule from other tribunals as a pretext. It's flimsy but it's all they would need. It should be an option we consider... but should also be the option of absolute last resort."

Alexei nods and thumps his staff twice in the floor in approval of Stultus's proposition. "Wise council. I hadn't considerd the Quaesitor's using it as any flimsy excuse to strike at us. Havaing said that, I also agree we should have it as an option, but make it an option of last resort. Weigh its use against the drawbacks. I can accept if I am outvoted in this, but I wish to make sure opposition is voiced."

All right. Korvin turns to Tranquillina again. Diocetes. Please draw up the plan of which servants we need to let go and when to keep ourselves within budget. These should be Household servants first.

The dwarf winces in sympathy. "Or perhaps, as an alternative, see if they would accept reduced or deferred wages for a Season or two. Quite aside from the fact that we're talking about turning people out in the first place... people turned out with no options become disgruntled. We don't need that on top of everything else we've got to deal with."

He shrugs. "I'll even be willing to act as go-between, if Tranquillina or her deputy are too busy. Gentle Gift and all."

[color=blue]"Ah, yes, Brione, come in. Would you care for some wine?" She leads Brione into the dining room, sending Moire to bring them both wine if he wants, and then dismissing her for the evening.

[color=blue]"Please, have a seat. I'm hoping you can fill in some blanks about Alexei...nothing damaging, I assure you. In exchange, I'm willing to...give you what your crave, in one of two flavors."

But that only delays the problem and the money is still due. Tranquillina and I talked about this earlier this year. My plan was to make some silver for a year so we could make adjustments. Find or increase our incoming revenue. We know that our income from sheep is about maximized. We must look else where. If the council feels that it is too risky to create silver magically, then we need to think of other plans. In the mean time we need to cut our costs so we can support 4 new magi living here.

Fiona says nothing while the discussion is going on, merely pursing her lips thoughtfully as she stares off into the distance. She has literally known Moire for all her maidservant's life, and she does not relish the thought of having to tell her that she needs to leave.

[color=blue]"Have we considered transplanting part of our vineyard into the regio?"

Brionne bows at the offer of wine and licks his misshapen lips and raises his cup before taking a seat. "No need to grant your favors m'lady, I trust you and the men think you are one of the nicest maga about. But what do you ask about Master Alexei?" he says and takes a drink.

((It's obvious he's being polite, he'd definitely like to have a spell cast on him))

Korvin turns to Finoa, We have not. Unless I'm mistaken, we are not selling our wine at present. What advantage would we gain from moving part of the vineyard to the Regio side?

The dwarf blinks up at Korvin. Did the man miss Stultus' offer to work in the Spring on another labor-saving device, which would mean a decrease in operating expenses? Apparently so.

He shrugs, opening a travelling scribe's box attached to his belt -- pulls out a piece of vellum, quill and ink, and starts scribbling something.

Fiona trails her fingers along Brionne's shoulders as she passes behind him (which enables her to extend her Parma over him), then takes her seat next (diagonally) to him.

[color=blue]"I would like you to tell me what happened when Helmut was captured by the bandits a few years ago."

[color=blue]"It seems to me that sensations on the regio side of the covenant are more...vibrant, more alive in a way. The sounds are crisper, the colors brighter, the smells more intoxicating. The herbs and flowers in my garden are more spectacular than I had expected, and I'm not vain enough to think that it's entirely due to my magic hands. If the fruit of the vine is the same way, then it's possible that our wine will be even more tantalizing than it is now, as hard as that may be to believe." ((I think I'm portraying the covenant boon Vivid Environment well enough)

She winks at Alexei. [color=blue]"Although some of us, I feel, should restrict our libations to the mundane side's vintage," she says with a grin.

((I'm not totally sure Tranquillina would come up with this on the spur of the moment ... maybe she's been thinking about it leading up to the council meeting ... but anyway, would disrupt the flow too much to delay this response.))

"Perhaps we can implement a hybrid solution," Tranquillina suggests, putting her hands behind her back as she paces a bit on her side of the council table. "One of the grogs, who came to us from Astingani, is named Phelippe. Fiona and Gerulf, you remember him from our trip to the black rose a couple of months ago*, and of course Alexei you know him well. He has two sisters; one is a maid for us; the other, part of our cadre of shepherds. While Phelippe is quite comfortable here, the two sisters have never felt quite settled, nor have gotten used to us Gifted ones." She sighs at her suggestion but continues anyway. "We could inform the three that they are to gather their possessions and find a new home outside the covenant."

"By itself that saves a trivial amount of silver of course. But, we then begin to implement some minor cutbacks regarding the covenfolk's luxuries. With the lavish salary we pay, together with a great deal of perks - routinely allowing them to cook too much food for our dinners with guests and letting them enjoy the overage, for example, or letting them use wool for their own clothing without paying for it, that sort of thing - anyway, altogether they are far better off here than they would be elsewhere. So even though it would cause some mumbling, we could cut back on some of this and still be considered far more generous than mundane employers."

Tranquillina stares up at the ceiling as she puts together the last sentences of her proposal. "We could reduce their wages to eight or nine pennies a month instead of ten - but instead, I submit that we could realize similar savings by simply enforcing tighter restrictions on these perks and extras. In addition to perhaps being more palatable than a wage decrease, we could justify it by letting a rumor spread that the cause of this strictness is some unknown infraction of Phelippe's - he has much access to the regio and its mansion, as you know, it might be believable." She makes a sour face. "We would probably need to bribe Phelippe and his sisters for their silence on the matter. Half a year's wages for each of them, perhaps, to be paid a year from now to them in their new home, if our scapegoating is successful."

• ((hehe, time bending threads! this meeting is in winter of 1227, that vis tour was autumn 1227 8) ))

"Ah, hmm, I think I should be the one to attend to whatever changes we decide upon," Tranquillina inserts quickly, not meeting Stultus's eyes. "They are used to speaking with me on a regular basis; moreover, I have ways of determining their level of discontent." The fingers on her right hand mime a Mentem gesture as she says the last.

The dwarf regards Tranquillina for a long moment, then shrugs. "As the Diocetes wishes, of course." He unhurriedly wipes his quill, caps the ink bottle, and puts everything away... without bothering to sand the piece of vellum first.

Korvin was not asking for it on the spur of the moment. But to start to plan for it.

Korvin nods to Tranquillina . Please consult the ledger so we all have a better understanding. He then turns to the rest of the council. I will call a meeting in a weeks time in which we can discuss this in full. Stultus, please be ready to present your ideas for the new income source with rough figures on the startup cost. You may also present you idea for another enchanted device to save money. Fiona. Please talk to Sobran and his helpers to pick a plot on the regio side to plant some vines. I would like to experiment first before moving a great deal into the regio.

Is there anything else?

Brionne is certainly enjoying the attention and takes another gulp of wine, at Fiona's question though his mood darkens ad he pauses a few seconds before putting the cup down. Finally he shrugs his mis-shapen shoulders.

"Helmut told you did he? Aye...that was a bad time, Helmut never saw that side of Alexei before. Those bandits had really gotten 'neath Alexei's skin with their tactics and then kidnapping him? Yah, that was the tipping point. If only we hadn't run out of wine, we might have been able to handle that less..." he takes a moment, trying to think of the words. "Savagely."

Roberto: Splendid idea, let us make it so :slight_smile:.

Roberto: Why not conjure gold instead then? Or gems. I see no problem with it being "too easy". As for unintended consequences, I suggest we learn how to "launder" our money.

Alexei scowls at Roberto's response. "It seems dishonest. Fortunes made without work or toil, just poof, make some gold. It's not to my liking is all. And what if men start to realize that we can make gold? That their fortunes will become worth less with the introduction of our silver and gold? Or perhaps they'll capture some and demand to make the gold. These are some of the conseuqnces I believe can come about. But it is a valid option to use, one that I vote against. If I'm outvoted I just ask we use it wisely."