1227.3 What Happens Next

[color=blue]"I was fond of Praxiteles," Fiona says softly. She had been silent for most of the discussion, seemingly lost in thought. [color=blue]"And I am fond of his wife.

[color=blue]"I have a hard time believing that his death was misfortune. Perhaps it's because it's only been a few days, and the pain is still fresh in my heart. But I do not believe that the passage of time will do anything to assuage my doubt. Praxiteles is a master of Rego, and from what I hear second to none at Penetration. He, from what I am told, was also passing on his knowledge of Penetration to Valerian. I would not be surprised to learn that he did murder Praxiteles in a most canny fashion, counting on the Quaesitores either being complicit, or being unable to believe that this was not a mere accident."

She then starts to weep, unable to continue.

Korvin pats Fiona's arm trying to comfort her.

I liked Praxiteles as well. but I'm not hearing much as to what people think actually happened other than Valerian murdered Praxiteles. I tend to agree with Alexei having seen him cast in the Dominion aura. THat does not mean he did not have infernal help in this case but I've seen nothing that says that it is true. Korvin holds up a finger. So the theories at this point are either he spent a lot of vis. Another finger. Or he might have had help with a wizard's communion. Another finger. Or he might be capable of casting a magnitude 20 spell. Forth finger. IOr he botched the finesse control of a spell that should not have been cast in the first place. Have I missed any?

I will try to follow up with my contacts about any vis transfer. Does anyone want to handle the question of a sigil being blurred if used with a Wizard's Communion?

Roberto smiles. "Repeated applications of my fist in his face will turn up all the information we desire. Or we can go on a hunch. Mine is that he has exceptional Arts in his field. Magnitude twenty plus at least. Appolodorus had exceptional Arts as well, and the two are linked in some way. Valarian may have murdered him to keep the source of their power a secret, or perhaps there was some personal issue.
One thing I do not seem to understand though. One of you mentioned Valarian and Praxiteles were, um, romantically linked. Not my business, I am no one's moral judge. But wasn't Praxiteles married?

Fiona nods as she dabs at her eyes. [color=blue]"As I said, Alips – his wife – would be better able to explain the relationship between the two."

Note: I as the player understand. Roberto is square and straight edged. He is unfamiliar with "alternative" lifestyles, and is sorta closed minded.

Which is not to say that he is judgmental or intolorant, though that comes out sometimes. More so, he is uncomfortable with sexuality in general.

So who would you smash to turn up evidence of this? I'm assuming that it would not be Valarian.

While we think about that. Korvin turns to Tranquillina. Can you give us a count for our vis stores and how much will be available for each member? Most of us have deferred our allotment until after the Tribunal was completed.

Tranquillina's eyes widen at this request. "Um ... well, Viscaria had been serving as our Aedilis, while she was here; but now that she's gone back home...." She looks around helplessly, apparently extremely uncomfortable with the subject of vis.

((I'm just guessing/making it up about Viscaria leaving right after the Tribunal - feel free to correct me))

I'm sorry. I thought you were logical to take over for her. Hmmm. So we need a new Aedilis. Jacques or Roberto I would guess. Or did I also hear that Rose was was asking for membership. Hmmm. Perhaps we should hear about prospective new members and then see what positions need to be filled.

"Yes, good," Tranquillina hastens to cement the change of topic, "in troth that is the primary reason I wanted this meeting to occur even while our servants are cleaning up after the Tribunal's closing ceremony." She clears her throat and assumes a professorial posture.

"Yesterday, in addition to the conversations with Cavillor and Bilera, I was approached by not one but two magi who stated their desire to join Mons Electi. First, as our Princeps remarked, was Rose ex Tremere. She is just out of her Gauntlet, perhaps a couple of years, I'm not sure. Her mater is Exarch Maris of Le Maison, whom some of you know; this makes me - ah, let me simply state facts at this time," she interrupts herself. "You might also recognize Rose as the sufferer of my sole victory in the Certamen contests." Tranquillina chuckles slightly at this, taking her quick exit from the tournament with good cheer; the gesture accentuates how tired she has otherwise seemed during this meeting.

"And second," she continues, her smile fading as she takes a deep breath, "I was approached by one Stultus ex ... Tytalus, whom I had not met before. He is more mature, perhaps just a bit younger than I - a quarter century beyond his Gauntlet, say. While residing most recently at Eboris, he is originally from Loch Leglean; his mater, is, Cumhachd."

"While I certainly made them no promises," Tranquillina rushes ahead, "I invited them to stay an additional two or three days while we discuss the matter. In particular, I would like us all to dine together the day after tomorrow, a proposal to which they have already agreed." She looks around the room wryly. "I must say, it is not every day that a maga or magus approaches us to join our council."
((Cue Fiona! :laughing: ))

Of course I mean Valarian. That is, if face smashing were acceptable. But it is not. So I propose applying other means of coercion or methods of intelligence gathering.
Look, I ain't afraid of Valarian, not the way you guys seem to be. If I die in a blaze of glory, so be it. Flambeau the Founder, Reculed Seneca, died in a fiery last stand, why should I deserve better? Mind you, I hope not to die anytime soon. But if sacrificing my life for the cause is what is required for justice, then I shall not hesitate.
But by the same token, I do not believe in the no-win situation. There is always a way...

Fiona nods. [color=blue]"I remember Maris...she was Apollodorus's filia. So that would make Rose family, after a fashion."
((Don't know if Fiona has heard any tales of Rose's involvement with Ulrich. Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + die roll of 5 = 8. Or, for that matter, whether she knows anything about Rose at all: 3 + die roll of 2 = 5.))

((Likewise, rolls to see if she's heard of Stultus (3 + die roll of 8 = 11) or Cumhachd (3 + die roll of 5 = 8.))

[color=blue]"That sounds agreeable," Fiona says after a quick mental check to see if she had any plans she can't get out of.

((Was there, by chance, another mage? A Bonisagus perhaps???))

((This is something I'm not sure about: how much other Mons Electi magi know about Tranquillina's past by now. Cumhachd ex Tytalus was the maga who first took Tranquillina (then named Eskil) as an apprentice, but things didn't go well. Tranquillina ended up, via Tria, apprenticed to Maximianius Bonisagi and the rest is history. It seems that it's possible nobody knows Tranquillina started out in House Tytalus! - she certainly doesn't enjoy the subject or the memories, so it depends on whether anybody had prolonged heart-to-hearts with her in the four years she's been at Mons Electi.))

(( :laughing: yeah man, read the script!))

((In re Peregrine's roll of 11 -- don't think they would have intersected much, very different interests, but feel free to invent whatever you might have heard if it seems appropriate, or would move the story forward. ))

((Sorry, I had totally forgotten about him. Gonna be a rough few weeks, I think.))

Fiona looks out a window, feeling like she's forgotten something. She stifles a yawn, and then remembers.

[color=blue]"Make that three magi," Fiona says. [color=blue]"I spoke with a Bonisagus magus after the joust the other day, name of...Gerulf, who has expressed a desire to join the Covenant as well. He comes with a letter of introduction from his mater Ingrid, and greetings from the Prima Bonisagus."

((Wow, it's been four years already? Don't know if it would be exactly heart-to-heart besties-type conversations, but I can see Fiona and Tranquillina hanging out and chatting, maybe some light casual flirting, checking out the menfolk (and womenfolk), stuff like that. Fiona might have heard the name in passing, don't know if it would have been more than that.))

Three magi. Can we afford that?

Alexei is inwardly laughing at the sound of Roberto's plan, how similar to himself he sounded when Alexei was finishing his apprenticeship and Gauntlet. And for quite a few years after that...

"Roberto, anyone with your pedigree is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice, but when that time comes, make sure you get something for such a worthy cost. With Valerian, let him go, you are not ready for him unless there are some extraordinary circumstances in your favor. Believe me, I want vengeance and justice on him. We will have to settle for the humiliation he has suffered as he was stripped of his title and dressed down by his Prima...and losing to me. This doesn't mean giving up on him completely. But none of us are ready. Going up and simply beating him, not only will that most likely not happen, but also will set you against the law, and given the current state of affairs they would likely demand me to do something. Come up with a proper plan...think like they do; the long game. That will have better results. You're free to do as you like of course, but your actions have repercussions on all of us. Keep that in mind."

Tranquillina pauses almost mid-sentence, completely surprised by this news. "Filius Ingrid, you say? She is very well regarded, in fact one of the better known Bonisagi - always makes a point of engaged personal introductions when visiting other covenants. Did - did you say that Murion endorsed this Gerulf?" She had never heard of such a thing. "Do you have the letter of introduction with you perchance?"

"Exactly," Tranquillina points at Korvin in response. "In terms of space and resources, I imagine we are fine. For sheer silver, well ... between the addition of our sodalis Roberto and his fine retinue, and the costs of outfitting the Tribunal meeting and entertaining our guests, our monetary reserves are essentially nil. We should consider whether these new applicants are able to bolster our finances. But of course, all this pales in comparison to the primary concern, namely where they will stand when House Guernicus's schemes and assaults continue."

((OOC: I'm not proposing that we resume detailed silver accounting. But it might be useful to suppose that each new magus/maga must contribute a little bit of time or energy or resources to the silver problem - much like magi were expected to contribute a little to Tribunal preparation and/or defense. For instance, did Roberto consider hitting up Ariel for a silver allowance on behalf of his new home? Enchanted items that bolster income or reduce costs are also an easy way to go.))