1227 Tribunal Preparations

Yup, the inside of the regio would probably be better, if only as a courtesy to our guests, who'll appreciate the Aura. But, coupled with The Shrouded Glen, this should give us privacy.

We should explore it first, though, to ensure no magical monster disturbs the tribunal.

Viscaria would be the best person to design/make the baths. I doubt we could get all the marble needed in 5 years but we need to look into that first. That would allow using a rego spell. Otherwise I would do a CrTe ritual. That would at least make the building and baths. Do we have an existing spring ( that is non magical) that we can use for the water?

I've also thought that there are probably many places that there are existing bath ruins that we could steal the marble from. Trier in the Rhine Tribunal comes to mind.

Laetitia suggests against hosting Tribunal in a regio, as there may come a time when its existence might be best as a secret.

i believe that the Covenant is located in the Regio and therefore the Redcaps know about it and how to get in and out.

Just because Redcaps know how to navigate it doesn't mean everyone else in the Tribunal does.

True, but Valerian does know how...

Please keep this sub-thread clean. If you're going to comment, change the Subject line. Otherwise, feel free to add items or additional lists as needed.

Spells to Create/Acquire,
Quarters for the Visiting Guest CrHe 25 - Korvin? Jormungand? Fiona?
A Spell to make and install a door Cr(Re)He 20
Furnishing the Empty Room CrHe 15 - Korvin? Jormungand? Fiona?

Spells to transcribe for others to learn,
Burrowfingers PeTe 20 by Viscaria, for _____
The Baroque Peasant Hut Rego Terram 25 by Viscaria, for _____

Items to Enchant,

• Lamp Lighter (CrIg, Unlimited Uses, Creates daylight)
  • ? The Hearthfire Wand ? (moon duration building-maker)
  • ? Flatscreen TVs for watching sports ?
  • Hot Bath Statuary
  • sewage management
  • Large Food Preservation objects
  • Precious stone/metal/gem dowsing rod for all this construction?

Purchases to Make

• furniture - bed, table, chairs?
  • doors
  • food?
  • Marble for baths
  • Prizes for the A&S competition - Items of Quality, perhaps? Commemorative statues?

[b]Locations to select

• Falconball courts
  • joust / list field
  • Tournament field
  • Classrooms
  • food vendors / Merchant Quarters
  • fighting pit / Colloseum
  • Arts and Crafts exhibition space
  • residential areas for magi and grogs
  • Flambeau Field
  • Main Tribunal Hall[/b]

Iteration 2 : Added a new list, tried to assign names based on what was written. Tried to make sure I haven't missed anything.

What's that have to do with anything?

Spell: The Adobe Villa of Venerable Design
CrTe Base 1 - Create clay, R: Touch +1, Duration: Moon +3, T: Ind (Size +2 = 1000 cubic paces)
Total : 15 (or additional magnitudes to create more elaborate designs)
Creates a traditional 2-story roman villa out of fired clay, including rooftops. At base level, this will be an obvious magical construction with little adornment. Additional magnitudes can add more decorative elements, asymmetrical room design, stair railings, etc.

I don't believe we forgot this location -

Gathering Hall/Court - for the actual Tribunal.

And in reviewing the locations, we, as a covenant, almost seem overly martial (lists, tournament field, fighter pits, etc.)
I think the Arts/Crafts Competition was a very good addition, especially considering the origins of Apollodorus.
Is there anything else we can add to give it a more personal flavor? A Garden Labyrinth, maybe? I may be overthinking it.

Oh, and on the topic of "Permanent" vs. "moon", there's another consideration as well. And I got this idea from reading over some of Jebrick's threads.

Why don't we create a permanent site for the fair that's our main vis source? We still have a "tent" area, just for the Tribunal we'll put up magically created temporary housing instead. But with a permanent, well-constrctucted faire ground, we can also attract other mundane fairs and meets, so whereas we "decorate" on a Roman theme, we "build" on the permanent theme of a recurring faire site. It also hides and gives a good mundane excuse for the mass amount of building and labor we'll be doing.

If the idea is to keep the regio a secret, my response was meant to indicate it is not a secret, and hasn't been treated that way. A mess of people know about the regio, several Tremere, Andru, Murion, Valerian, Redcaps.

I populated the Tourney with ~100 participants. Not all were residents of the Tribunal, but most were. Some are cenobites. Also, keep in mind that this particular Tribunal is going to be close to Alps, Rhine and Provence magi, relatively speaking.

Can host a dinner party of about 30. Well short of ~100 magi and retainers.

[/quote]
This more or less exists, the mundane fair hosted here, which is the original seisin is a permanent fair ground, in that it isn't used for any other activity. It was used once by Apollodorus to embarrass his filius in front of others. And that being said, do you really want to mess with a vis source that has been in service for so long?

There's a difference between "not really a secret" and "absolute public knowledge."

Since we have been asking any one to keep a secret, especially the Recaps, than anyone can ask a Redcap who has been to the Covenant how to get here. So it is a secret to anyone who has not asked.

So, here's some of the buildings and areas that I'm thinking are going to be needed.

• Feast hall. [color=blue]"If we're expecting about 100 magi, we should probably allow for 150. Especially if this Lotharingian issue is to attract as much debate as it seems it will, there were certainly be magi from the Rhine wanting to make their voices heard, and quite possibly the Greater Alps, depending on where people expect, or want, the border to be drawn. As it is unlikely that we will ever be hosting this many visitors again, I believe that this structure should be of Moon duration."

• Kitchens. [color=blue]"Again, I doubt that we will ever have to feed that many people again. I think we should create a temporary kitchen for the Tribunal. A problem I see is: who has experience cooking that much food? The only place I can think of off-hand is an army. We may have to find a retired army cook to work for us for a few months, to make sure that we have everything that we're going to need. I don't believe any of us are cooks, certainly not on such a scale, and we are likely to miss something that will be painfully obvious to him."

• Vendor's stalls. [color=blue]"Again, I see no need to make these permanent. Viscaria, would it be possible to make a group of small buildings, of Moon duration, for the vendors?" Ooc, I checked CrHe and CrTe. Base level for each seems to be 3, +3 for R: Sight, +3 for D: Moon, and +2 for T: Group (for making a group of buildings). I think it would be slightly lower level to make wood rather than stone, as +1 for size would make plant products ten paces in each direction (or the equivalent) while stone would be ten cubic paces. So, we'd be looking at Level 40 for wood and 45 for stone?

• Amphitheater has, I believe, already been touched on. I think it would be easier if it were recessed into the ground, that way we could PeTe (with good Finesse and/or skilled use) to the configuration we want. Big enough for a falconball field, or for magi to settle their differences with Certamen before their peers. It could also be used for most of the other tournament events: The Hastilidium, the Certamen Tournament, the Joust (with judicious applications of PeAn between events) and the Dimicatio could all conceivably be held in the Amphitheater, time permitting. The Melee, not so much.

• Roman-style baths. After using them at Valnastium, Fiona would have no objection to having something like that built here.

Viscaria: "I feel like this is the least manageable way to handle this problem. If we try to feed everyone inside one room, then the cook will just make one giant slop bucket of stew or something, and there will be little variety in what is offered. Instead of attempting to build one location which can serve all at once, I say we take a page from the marketday fairs. Instead of US dealing with this, we simply choose a sufficient number of food vendors and make it there problem to deal with. We just need to build a kitchen and dining patio for each of them, preferably spread out across the marketplace so as to keep the groups dispersed. We place the Colosseum in the center, surrounded by the vendors, with food vendors scattered about, and then place the living quarters on the outskirts, with the least noise. We place the classrooms under the marketplace, and connected to the Colosseum, for the soundproofing.

"We can even charge a fee to the mundane food vendors to transport them to and from our magical realm, to help re-coup our costs."

Viscaria looks dubious. "Well...yes, but it would be easier to make it a Rego spell. And truthfully, I'm an enchanter, not a spellcrafter, and my specialty is Terram, not Herbam. To maximize that means I'll be making is a mason's hammer which creates such buildings out of stone. Which means making them one at a time....but if you're insistent on a Creo-based solution, then we might be able to go with Clay....frankly, I think the more efficient solution, in both time and vis, would be a Rego device which creates the buildings out of the existing earth and can later put it back. As I already know the spell, the device will be easier to make, but more limited in scope than my spell. Each hammer would yield a specific design. One for the roman villas, one for the restaurants*, and so forth."

((ooc: Clay would be base 1, instead of base 3 for stone, and is base size 10 paces. Not sure if that can include fired clay (brick/adobe). Momentary Rego still beats out Moon Creo, imho, even if a second spell/enchantment is needed to return it to normal/flat. CrTe Base 1 (clay) + 1 Touch, +3 Structure (A Structure is defined as 10 Rooms, a room is defined as enough space for 100 people to squash in together) = 5. o.O Can that really be right? Even shifting the base to 3 for stone, that's only 15.

ReTe Base 3 to unnaturally move, +1 touch, +1 Part +2 Size = 15. regardless, the +3 for Sight is pointless))

• probably an anachronism

Can the Ampitheater/Colosseum also be used for the Tribunal meeting? What does the Melee need?

"One of the servants I brought with me is Giorgio, formerly the head chef at Magvillus. Aside from his masterful skill in the kitchen, he has directed the kitchens for two Roman Tribunals now. He would be able to organize the provisions for Normandy, with ease.

"I have never heard of the idea of 'food vendors' but advise against it, as requiring Tribunal guests to pay for their own provisions would sully our reputation as hosts."

Isen should be able to develop the second and third spells.
If given appropriate materials, he should be able to do the second as Spontaneous Craft Magic (hopefully)

Again, Isen should be able do do these spontaneously, using Ring/Circle durations:
A circular light provider, food preserver. The batch could be handled in a similar way.
This'd save us a lot of time.

Nonetheless, he knows that magic can fail, so he'd be of the mind of either using mundane craft, or formulaics (as these can be cast without stress). We should use magic for the big projects, and mundane crafts for the multiple little ones

Well, what if the food is free? We should be able to hire the vendors for the tribunal's duration, shouldn't we?

They're not "vendors" if they aren't vending :stuck_out_tongue:

[color=blue]"I'm not sure that would be wise," Fiona says. [color=blue]"We don't truly understand how the Fair works, how it's able to provide a rook of Mentem vis every year. I would fear that hosting the Tribunal on the fairgrounds could disturb, if not destroy, the process by which the fair generates the vis."

Fiona sez: [color=blue]"Perhaps a compromise, then? I agree with Laetitia that making our guests (and we should not forget that they are our guests) pay for their own food would be in rather poor form. However, I do believe that a variety of menus might be desirable. Perhaps if we had, say, three or four kitchens set up around the housing areas, and the day before the guests could indicate which of the options they would desire for their meals that day. Once we see how many people want what menu, then we could assign the kitchens depending on which one is best able to handle the demand. If, say, half the guests want mutton, a third want beef, a tenth want fish, and the rest vegetables, then we could give the mutton to the largest kitchen and so on.

Fiona dicit: [color=blue]"I'm all in favour of not making things any more difficult than they have to be. And I should make it clear that, although my fields of study aren't exactly best suited for the projects that I seem to be seeing before us, I will make myself available for anyone who would like some help either enchanting items or inventing spells. I can add two magnitudes to whatever project we're working on...three or four if we experiment."

I believe it can, weather permitting. [color=blue]"I wonder if Doineann can be persuaded to pay us a visit for the Tribunal?" Fiona asks herself aloud.

As for the Melee, I think it just needs a good-sized chunk of landscape where we can have a couple of phantasmal castles for the mortals to try to capture.