1227 Tribunal Preparations

I'm getting Forbidden errors on everything except the first page.

I'm having no problem seeing any of these from my home computer.

This is neat, especially for a main bridge, if we're going for the Roman-esque atmosphere.

drool I like this. We have to do this at least once, somewhere...just because.

This is pretty neat.

Something to use for the outlying areas of the covenant, maybe? I like it. I personally wouldn't be able to set foot on it, but I like it.

My favorite, too, and the one I would like to see utilized the most. And we can customize the post-tops for each bridge, too, if we want.

This should help with the visualizing.
Stole the images and re-posted them to my junk-space. Please do not forward these images.

"I agree that we have new security concerns that we need to consider," Viscaria pulls out a fresh wax tablet and starts drawing columns. "It may indeed be prudent to move the Field to somewhere else, but I'm not convinced that the best choice is necessarily somewhere mundane. Your regio is vast, and filled with many entrances and exits. It may be possible to find a place that retains the prestige, freedom and security advantages of using a regio, while keeping everyone away from your actual home.

"Tell me more specifically what your concerns are, Laetitia."

(OOC: These sorts of security questions are the very heart of Viscaria's original character concept, so I'm really happy to delve into a deep conversation about pros and cons of any choice, but I feel deeply hampered by the lack of visual aids for us to understand exactly what the landscape around us is that we're considering.)

So, I thought I had seen somewhere where we (by which I mean JL) had said what all was in the Tribunal Preparation book we got when we were awarded the '27 Tribunal, but I couldn't find it.

I'm thinking it's actually going to be more in the lines of a set of tractatus bound together...an anthology, eef you weel.

Maybe a Q15 Etiquette and a Q15 Normandy Tribunal Lore?

We got a book on the subject? Viscaria should probably read that...

((Yeah, we got it right after we were awarded the next Tribunal. Been trying to get details on it since.))

I've been sparse on details for lots of things on purpose. Now that you players have done the work of what the next few years are going to look like I can craft stories and resources to fill in the gaps. I should be able to get specifics out by the weekend.

At the Council Meeting of Spring, 1224, Fiona will say that she has finished reading the Tribunal book that we got when we were so "fortuitously" selected to host the next Tribunal that anything we need to run Tribunal is available at Confluensis (texts for housing, casting or lab texts, what have you). The plans for we've laid out are on the impressive side, but should do quite nicely.

At the last Tribunal, there were about 140 magi in attendance (including "outsiders"). But due to the Lotharingian debate (and the close proximity of Rhine, Provençal, and the Greater Alps Tribunals, all of whom will be directly impacted by the debate), Fiona is expecting something closer to 180. And we should also allow for five retainers per magus.

So, in all, we can reasonably expect about 1,100 people.

With quarrying operations now in full swing (4 grogs instead of 2), Viscaria can leave immediately after the council meeting to pick up those texts.

The first reading of the text, whenever that happened, is sufficient to detail the requirements for the Tribunal. The experience awards are independent of reading the Tribunal requirements. Having a field for the Tournament, safe from prying mortal eyes and a space for the Tribunal, and a fair, and the housing is all that is required. This can be communicated at anytime.

That would be after Summer of 1222, then (or, as I will call it when I get everything summed up, "The Summer of Our Discontent.")

And actually going to visit Confluensis after that summer is bound to give anyone a pause...

Perhaps we should send a Redcap like Renaud to get the material.

If it happens in 1222, then there are a few noteworthy points to explore:

• Viscaria in 1222 is still "hired help," and so would be willing to go to Confluensis regardless of the recent turmoil.

• Therefore, she'd resolve to go there during 1223.1

• She'd then change her mind and decide to pursue the In My Mother's Footsteps story. The various letters she leaves behind could indicate that either she's decided to "take a circuitous path" to get there, or that Renauld should pick up the appropriate contents. I'll leave that choice up to the group.

• The trip to Confluensis, by either Renauld or Viscaria, could be used as the reason why she then joins the covenant as a provisional member.

Viscaria's draft-proposal layout for the Tribunal.

Empty white squares would be the residential areas, with roman villas on the exterior blocks and 3-room longhouses in the interior blocks. The Mons Electi Villa, which will double as an Admin facility, is in the central block.

There are 26 "blocks" of housing here, for up to 52 villas (I figure 2 villas per block or 8 long huts with a central yard). The last Tribunal had 24 teams for the Games.

Each villa has a front room which was meant to be used as a retail space (#10 in the link). The long huts could also be used for additional mercantile activity beyond the Marketplace. Alternatively, these spaces could be used to host small lectures, meetings, etc.

What do people think?

Looks good to me.

At yet another one of the seemingly endless Tribunal Preparation Meetings, Viscaria asks, Should we let people know ahead of time about the rules for Falconball? Or anything else? Do we want to let covenants select their villas beforehand? Perhaps charge an additional fee for better placement?

"What about other ways to earn some extra funds during the event?"

OOC: Not sure if the idea of rentable classrooms and vendor buildings are new.

[color=blue]"It might not be a bad idea to include a brief overview with the Tribunal invitations...just in the interest of fairness."

[color=blue]"I believe we're required to provide 'suitable accommodations.' There's nothing against the rules keeping us from charging a slight fee to put them just where they want to be. It may be seen as tacky, perhaps, but perfectly legal."

Isen
Agreed.

It might also be interesting to select placement, see who gets near who, or to impede particular covenants. Just saying.