1228-1229 OOC

"I'm just borrowing this book, boys, I'll bring it back. Eventually."

I honestly see the guards. But I'm not seeing the spell requirement, unless it is really low level and can be done without fatigue. Put yourself in your character's shoes, are you going to abide having to wait for someone to open this for you whenever you want to study for the day? And then they have to come back and close it. Can you find a spot in Isen's development where he could have made a device that could do this?

There is nothing explicitly stated that a Rego aligned aura adds to MR for Rego spells. MR is based on the Form, and without an explicit statement that the aura is added against rego spells, I can't really see it. Consider, though, that many Rego spells do damage indirectly, and aim with finesse, although some Rego spells can automatically hit a target...

No one's going to die... Both characters will have a bit of interaction with her, though. So I'd prefer to have named real grogs, that have some personality, and also if they've had interaction with or at least observed [urlhttps://forum.atlas-games.com/t/1228-etc-saturday-nights-alright-for-fighting/7885/1]Twigberry[/url], all the better. So Junior being here, banged up as he is would be pretty cool.

I can't believe it never occurred to me that ME would have a catalogue (Covenants, p. 98), especially after that stunt Duncan pulled. But I suspect any spell to summon a book to you via the catalog would be hella-high-level. Assuming a parallel to Rego Corpus, it would be ReAn(He) base 35, R: Arcane Connection +4, D: Momentary, T: Individual, for a spell level of 55, which would make it a Ritual. Or you could go to where the book is, which would be a ReCo 35, aka Leap of the Homecoming Does that sound about right?

Fiona can make a Magic Theory roll.

Int 1 + Magic Theory 6 + die roll of 2 = 9. Good thing she knows so much about Magic Theory, 'cause her rolls are crap tonight.

Sorry guys, I got work slammed. Still am. Expect low to no posting for the next day or two.

If she really believed that, and was self-delusionnal to the point that she didn't consider it stealing, it would work, sure.
Otherwise, not. This is not someone asking a question you may lie to, this is InMe picking up the answer from your brain

You may have missed this, or maybe you disagree:

IIRC, you should only read the book if you can spont 2nd magnitude Rego spells, probably meaning a Rego score of about 15+. Of course, there's Muto, but still, it should be doable by those who want to study from the book.
Otherwise, of course, you are right.

DOH!!!
Excuse me, while I cover in shame :blush: You are entirely right, and I was sprouting nonsense :laughing:

Sure, that's true, but she also paid for the inconvenience caused by her taking the books. (Much) [d]elusion doesn't have to be involved.

I don't disagree with the spell at all. But let's see how it gets used. 2 times per day, for ~90 days, is pretty close to a chance of having it botch twice. Of course, you might say, cast it only twice, beginning of the season and end of the season of study, very little risk of botch. Casting it only twice though, bypasses the primary security measure. So, the only reasonable spell, IMO is a formulaic spell, and then getting everyone who is planning to learn from the book to learn the spell first. That isn't at all unreasonable, but it does need to be accounted for in the advancement plans of the magi, and if that means adjusting things, I'm fine with it. It's a logistics problem that is solvable. But don't try and convince me that every magus and maga of Mons Electi is willing to cast a spontaneous spell, with fatigue at the beginning and end of every day when studying that book. If it were effortless, I'd buy it. But that requires Art scores well beyond the present capabilities of anyone at Mons Electi. And, it would only require the thief to cast the spell once, which to him, the risk of stealing it is lower than the risk of the magi of Mons Electi learning from it. That's pretty backwards. In the IT industry, security by obfuscation is not security. And it is possible that the book is as well secured as it can be, or the magi thought it was, until this happened. That's also a reasonable premise, too, don't you think? Especially if, every year, you have Laetitia come and test it to see if she can get into his sanctum.

I was going for having a Rego score of ~10. It's reasonable to presume that someone has a ReFo combination of ~20.

Hey, not a problem at all, I thought about this for a long time when I aligned the rego. And I am so glad it is Rego, rather than something like Creo, because all the primary damage spells like PoF, IoL, BoAF would benefit from the aura, while the MR would not... I hadn't thought about that aspect when designing Apollodorus, and what would happen afterwards.

I seem to remember that the Covenant buildings were made with a version of Wizard's tower so there may not be any bricks and mortar to move. Of course, the wizard's tower could have made bricks and mortar

(JL: I meant pre-1228. But thanks for reminding me I need to change his plans for 1229+... Done!)

I'm stumped, for 2 reasons:

• I thought we already had one, as shown on the wiki. Did I miss or misunderstood something?
  • How can jacques do it? I thought Isen was the more advanced in ReVi (which is why I've been pushing it, since he felt it as his responsability), and he could barely learn the lvl 50 ritual.

Ok, I looked at the planner, and I looked at Jacques... Here's the problem, you can't learn a spell from a lab text over the course of two seasons. You have to have a lab total in excess of the level of the lab text (the RAW says in excess, but, I'll go with equal, see below). So I don't see how Jacques could have learned the 15th magnitude Aegis, with 12 magnitudes of effectiveness. I calculate his ReVi lab total as 19 (Re) + 8 (Vi) + 1 (int) +4 (Mt) +1 (Mt spec)=33 +Lab bonuses.

When I say a LT equal to the level, and not as RAW, I say that because to invent a spell from first principles, one only needs accumulate points equal to the level, it doesn't make sense that you need to beat the level by one with a lab text, when you don't have to without the text.

We have a lab text in ancient greek that must be learned. Jacques was doing it because you disappeared for a long time and I was not sure if you were coming back. He can learn the mag 7 (ReVi50) version in a season from the lab text. It will take him 3 seasons to invent one at Mag 15. He can get to 50 LT with his familiar.

If Jacques LT is 50, the best he can learn is the 50th level Aegis, and only with a lab text.

I will change it to the 50th level aegis for a single season. why can't he spend 3 seasons inventing a new one if he wanted?

Lab total is too low.
To invent a 75th level spell from a lab text requires a lab total of 75+.

To invent a 75th level spell from scratch requires a lab total of well over 75, to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

So imagine the lab total was 80, it would take 15 seasons to invent such a spell from scratch, without the aid of a lab text.

I must have 3rd ed on my brain. Please carry on.

I will state that Korvin will include Abagail in all council meetings. she can sit and read if she wants but the info will be there for her.

It took me a couple of minutes for it to click who "that holy warrior woman" was. And then I went into Cygna mode (which reminds me, I should advance her to 1229, just in case she makes a cameo). She says you can have her, you can keep her for all she cares.

Sorry, haven't been able to check till just now, and I can't really check much now either...

But I'll catch up.

It's been pretty inaccessible all day, when I was able to access it, so...

It occurs to me that, if either Roberto or Isen had thought of it before they left, that this whole curse problem could be averted if Wen weren't a woman for a while. Hmm...if only they knew someone who was gifted in Muto and Corpus and specialized in transformations...strokes invisible beard thoughtfully

(I did the math, a Moon duration spell to turn Wen into a man would only be a MuCo 15. Fiona can almost spont this without spending Fatigue. Her CT is Sta 3 + Mu 17 + Co 15 + Co 15 (for her Minor Magical Focus) + Aura 5 = 55. Add a die roll and halve it, you're looking at a Level 30 spont. Have I mentioned lately how much Fiona scares me sometimes?)