1228.2 Coming Straight On For You

Since it's already dark (presumably), Wilhelm will pull up a bunk in the infirmary and sleep there, where he can be handy in case his brother wakes up or needs anything or whatever.

At first night the next morning, he heads back to his cabin to get Patience, let her know what's going on, and then bring her with him back to the covenant to check on his brother before heading down the road to his family's camp.

((Patience does know that Wilhelm is really a girl. Also, since Amul has taken a bit of a sabbatical, does anyone want to build and run Patience, or shall I?))

So, Wilhelm isn't going to talk to her brother, or the thing that is purported to be her brother?

((Sorry, I thought he was unconscious. So, he's awake, coherent, talkative, all that good stuff, then?))

Wilhelm pulls up a chair/stool and sits next to his brother. [color=green]"How's Mother?" he asks.

He starts waking up just before dawn. "She's fine. So let me get this straight. You have never met me, you shoot me with an arrow, and your first question is how's mother. Ok, so, to repeat she's fine." Despite his overall size, he sounds young. He seems a bit upset...

[color=green]"Actually, my first question was going to be 'Who are you?', but I thought that might be a little rude. But let's go ahead and ask, anyway. Who are you?

"I know who they say you are, but I also don't remember any of them. No surprise considering how long it's been since I left Rötenbach.

"So, I have a bunch of men I don't know trying to capture me, then tell me they're actually my family. Which makes me wonder, why didn't you try talking to me first before raising arms?"

"We're not all related. But several men from the village came, out of respect for father. And then there's Karl-Martin, our Godfather. You might remember some faces if you spend some time among them. Is there a magus I need to thank for healing me? We know you took up with them after running off." For a bit more description, Wilhelm's brother looks to be ~16. I was thinking it was 13, but the math for 16 works out. "Don't you want to come home see mother and father?"

[color=green]"Yes, his name is Korvin. If you want, I'll introduce you before you leave. But you still haven't answered my questions. What is your name. And why did you try to take me by force instead of talking to me?"

((Let's see...Wilhelm was born in 1194, and was 10 when he left home, so that would be 1204...so, roughly 23, 24 years ago.))

((pending his answers))

"I have Father's name. I am called Hiltprant." ((You can name him, or I can come up with the name, I'll edit accordingly. Almost as soon as he says as their father's name, his father's features seem to come into full view. This isn't a mystical effect, it's just more of a sense of something becoming clearer. "We were trying to surprise you and surround you and then hope that you would give in to the overwhelming odds against you. We had no idea how well you knew the forest, nor how skilled with a bow you were. And well, these wizards, we weren't sure if you were ensorcelled into their service. We've heard of that before. Lost a few of our village to the wizards you initially took up with, too...

((so, it's like as soon as he says it, she can see the resemblance now. Got it.))

[color=green]"I've always been at home in the forest, Father should have remembered that," Wilhelm says with a hint of a smile. [color=green]"But after he died, and the vost's inquiry, I didn't want to stay where I would have that shadow over me. Those wizards I took up with a few years later...I owe my life. You've heard how harsh the winter was in....1207? I would have died that winter if I hadn't gone to them. And then I came here. There is no magic involved in my decision to come here, or to stay, or to take up with the wizards. For many years, the Covenant was simply a place to spend the winter, and to trade what I had caught. But now...this is my home, Hiltprant. And I don't want to return to Rötenbach."

Hiltprant seems troubled, "Not even to visit ma and pa? Ma's got sick really bad last winter. Don't think she's going to make it through another one. Pa told us to get you away from those Wizards, that the dark fae have hurt us too much. I don't really understand much of it, all that happened before I was born, but I knew I had to come out here to find my big sister, at least for ma."

[color=green]"I'll think about it," Wilhelm after a long moment. [color=green]"Just to visit. I'm not moving back to Rötenbach. If...if I go, I want your and Karl-Martin's word that you won't hold me there against my will or try to trick me into staying."

"You have mine, and Karl-Martin's I'm sure. He's your Godfather, and has your best interests at heart. Tell me, Willhelma, why are you dressed like a man? Do I have nieces and nephews? Why did you run away?"

((What's the sibling Order for Wilhelma? She the oldest of all the kids?))

[color=green]"When I left home, I knew that a girl, alone, wouldn't be able to get by. Not without a lot of trouble. So I became a man. Nobody knew...almost nobody knew that I was really a woman. And, over the years, this is how I've come to see myself, and this is what I am.

[color=green]"I don't know. But I don't have any children, no." ((Not that it matters at this point in time, but she is a virgin...which is why I would have laughed if Jormungandr had tried to cast a spell on him. :smiley:))

Wilhelm looks at her brother. [color=green]"What did they tell you about how my father died...or the man we thought was my father?"

((I'm thinking she had at least one older and one younger brother. Let's dig out the old Chivalry and Sorcery and let the Polyhedral Orbs of Destiny decide. Ignoring the "illegitimate" results, it says 6 children (it assumes you're the youngest of x, but I don't like that). So, pulling out the kitty die, comes up 1 the first two times. So let's say that she is the first-born child of Hilprant and his wife.))

((And I wanted him to cast his spell to make the Corpses he made do something...they were virgins, too. :smiley:))

"Well, to be honest, everyone thought, you killed him, on purpose. But that was such a horrible thought no one could come to terms with it. Or so I'm told. When father returned to the village there was a lot of...turmoil. But one of those wizard's came to the village and told us everything was alright. He spoke to the priest, and father came to the church and prayed with the wizard and the priest. I'm not clear on all the details. Father rebuilt his life that was stolen from him. Part of that has been trying to find you, but the wizard you left with didn't tell the other Wizards where you went, so we had a hard time finding you."

((It's no secret that Wilhelma killed her father. What is a secret is that it was intentional. From the Bio section of her character sheet: "her father met with a hunting 'accident'. Wilhelma swore up and down to the Vogt that she had no idea her father was where he was, and that it was sheer misfortune that she missed the deer she was shooting at and that the arrow found her father’s throat instead. "))

Wilhelm nods. [color=green]"I did...we were out hunting, and I missed the deer I was trying to bring down. It was an accident, and the Vogt knew that. But everyone...I couldn't stay with everyone talking about me like that, so I left. And I haven't had any regrets. Yes, my life has been hard at time, but I'm still happier here than I would be where people were constantly accusing me."

((Com 0 + Guile 2 + die roll of 8 = 10.))

((Edited above, to include "on purpose."))

"I think you'll find things are different now... Will you come with me, with us?"

Wilhelm thinks again for a couple of minutes before he finally heaves a resigned sigh. [color=green]"Very well. But only to say goodbye to Mother. I will not stay any longer than I have to."

"Very well, I'm going to go back to Karl-Martin. You can make preparations to be gone from her for a while, bring some supplies for things you might need, and bring anyone with you want to bring. You can even bring a magus, if you'd like."

[color=green]"Thank you. I should be ready to go tomorrow morning, if everyone is ready and able," Wilhelm says. He then excuses himself and goes to his cabin,where he tells Patience* to pack their things, and that they will be going on a journey with his family, departing on the morrow.

He then goes back to the covenant and looks for any of the available magi., asking the first one he finds if they can spare a couple of minutes.

• I still haven't made Patience. she was originally going to be Amul's, but since he's on hiatus (I guess) she's available for whoever to make and run. Or, if not, I can make her the early part of the week.

((I'll bite :slight_smile: ))

After a few minutes, Wilhelm runs into Tranquillina, dressed simply in her wolfskin cloak. Before he can bring up his personal need, Tranquillina hails him in French with excitement in her voice. "Wilhelm - I'm going to cast a harmless spell on you," she explains quickly. She starts mumbling in Latin and moving her hands in strange but deliberate gestures; the tenor of both seem to change halfway through the process. After a dozen seconds or so of this, Wilhelm feels a pang of nausea, which quickly subsides.

"Tell me - what did you feel?" she says hopefully.