1228.4 The Mistress Always Spanks Twice

Fiona whistles in amazement. [color=blue]"It seems she's quite the prodigy in those areas, doesn't it?"

Alexei is listening with a strange smirk on his face and after the end of the description he just shakes his head. "I need to study more."

Fiona opens her mouth to say something, catches herself, and contents herself with a cheeky smile.

((I'm going to bump/reset the scene... I'm not sure if this has stalled because of inability to post, or confusion on what's going on. Gerg, are you going to come back with Tranquillina, after not being able to observe anyone outside Cumhachd's villa? Come back to Apollodorus's sanctum and discuss things with the other magi, or shall we end it here?))

The magi have assembled outside or within Apollodorus' sanctum, Alexei has discovered and reported that Cumhachd, apparently, has paralyzed Junior and Brionne, and also absconded with Apollodorus's Book of Control. And Korvin and Fiona both figure that Cumhachd could/should be close by, but has the capability of casting at least 12th magnitude Corpus spells, based on the power of the Aegis, and coupled with the magnitude of spells necessary to transport someone at R:Arc to themselves, which she did with Loys.

What I'm wanting to know if anyone is going to attempt to intercept Cumhachd before she leaves, since the magi reasonably believe she shouldn't be more than a few minutes ahead of them...

((Crossing fingers, hoping that the site actually works))

Alexei speaks up. "It is my duty, not just here in Mons Elect, but for the Order in Normandy. I wasn't elected to be Chief Hoplite for my stunning good looks. If she might be nearby, I will follow her. Donner!" he says and holds the note in her handwriting to his muzzle. The big dog snuffles and sniffs at the paper for a few seconds and then licks his chops before looking at Alexei. "Does anyone else have ideas on where she might be now before I leave?"

((Although this can be changed if the story warrants it, Tranquillina has sort of committed to not going to Apollodorus's chamber; nor is she planning on chasing down Cumhachd (she understands why Cumhachd took the books, and can presumably find them anytime. Especially if Alexei et al. are chasing her, I think we can leave Tranquillina out ... but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.
Also, cunningrat, don't know if you might have missed this post while you were out of action for a few days.))

((Whatever you choose is fine, gerg. I just wanted to be clear.))

Alexei can have an AC to the front entrance of the Tribunal city, which is still a bit away from the villa Cumhachd appropriated. If he tries to run/walk there, it'l take 10-20 minutes or so, and one can presume that she will definitely be long gone...

Alexei looks down at Donner. "Stay...you are not ready yet and very dear to me. I have not finished the enchantments yet. Stay." With that he crosses himself and disappears to reappear at the front of the Tribunal city.

((Can we say Alexei buffed up while they were waiting outside the chamber? If not, that's OK, she can blast through his armour anyway, but just to be prepared is all))

This is probably one of those things where every moment counts, but Alexei Alexei hasn't learned that lesson from The Antiquities Road Show. I'll let you play it how you want it, but I can say it's reasonable that Korvin, Jacques, or Fiona would have suggested that time is of the essence. Every moment taken to prepare improves the chance that Alexei arrives too late.

((I just wasn't certain how much time was spent up to this point, if he hadn't buffed then it's too late and he's on his way. Alexei knows that the armour wouldn't stop a Corpus spell though. He does have another defense...))

Alexei arrives outside Cumhachd's villa and then...

Mind you, you can be prepared as you like. Alexei wasn't prepared when going off to the library, and the Apollodorus' chambers...

((Exactly, and his preparations wouldn't help against the type of offense that she has, but he does have a spell that could make him immune to a bunch of her spells, she'd have to compensate for it and her magic would be weaker.))

Once he appears he looks around briefly before casting a spell on himself.

((Assume the stature of the Giants of Eld. It makes him Size +3, he can't be targetted by any Corpus spell that doesn't take into account his larger size. It only lasts for a Diamete though I believe))

Crickets.

Alexei takes a deep breath and reaches down to knock on the door.

"Cumhachd!" he announces firmly, though not likely with good pronunciation. "I am Alexei von Kroitsau, Chief Hoplite of Normandy, if you are within, then come out. I must speak with you about your recent actions in my Covenant. Upon my honour you will be treated fairly and given a chance to explain yourself."

((Is there a prominent Sanctum marker on the door or the cottage?))

No, no sanctum marker. Of course, Alexei is too big to enter the villa. Cumhachd opens the door. And then she laughs when she gets a good look at Alexei. But then she switches gears, "Were you present when Tranquillina attacked my apprentice, after he delivered payment for borrowing the books?"

Alexei raises an eyebrow; he heard something had occurred but not what had actually happened. But he leans down to address her, keeping a civil tone.

"No, I was not present for any actions like that. I was searching for you at that time on the reports that you had stolen books from our libraries. Though I did hear that some vis was left." he takes a deep breath. "And I saw the grogs that were paralyzed by spells you cast on them, presumably to gain entrance to our library and other chambers that you were not supposed to have access to. Cumhachd...I'm sure there is a goal, perhaps a game you are playing with some of the magi here. But there are games and there is lawlessness. I don't come here flippantly, I know both some of the things you did...and I have a good idea of the great power you wield. Let us talk civilly and sort this out. And if crimes were committed against you or your apprentice...then we can sort that out as well."

((The timing of events suggests that Alexei could very well have been present when Tranquillina cast the spell on Loys, because Loys was still there when Alexandria reported the theft. If, and only if Alexei had disappeared before that time, he would have gone to Apollodorus' sanctum as Korvin had originally asked. So, I'm leaning towards Alexei was there when Tranquillina cast the spell, unless you can be persuasive otherwise, it makes the timing of things too wonky.))

"Oh, I have been civil, Alexei. It is your sodalis who has not been civil. Your grogs were subdued, nothing more. I could have crossed the ward Tranquillina had placed against mundanes, leaving them just as unable to act against me. I'm leaving now, Alexei, but I will return. Were I in your shoes, I wouldn't try coming after me. Your authority begins and ends with enemies of the Order, renounced magi and magae. I am neither. The last thing you want to do is make me your enemy."

She turns into the house and says, "We are leaving, Loys." And then looking up the sky, somewhere around Alexei, but not at Alexei, "My friend, I could use your assistance one more time, if you can see to Loys and my lab, I will see to myself." Nearly as soon as she says that Alexei feels the air rushing into the villa, as if a lot of material has been suddenly displaced from within it. Cumhachd is still standing there, just inside the doorway, "Goodbye, Alexei. Follow me at your own risk."

Alexei can try to stop her from leaving, but it's not likely.

[color=blue]"If she's not at the villa, then she would have returned to wherever she calls home now," Fiona says.

After Alexei leaves, Fiona stands there for a moment or two. [color=blue]"I'll be back," she says before she leaves.

She then casts a spontaneous Muto Corpus [sup]1[/sup] spell to give herself the tracking ability of a bloodhound and goes to find Tranquillina, softly singing [color=blue]"You and me, baby, ain't nothin' but mammals."
[hr][/hr][sup]1[/sup]Base 2, "change someone to give them a minor ability", R: Personal, D: Sun +2, T: Individual, for a target level of 4. CT is Sta 3 + Mu 17 + Co 15 + Aura 5 + Talisman 3 = 40 รท 5 = 8, easily castable without fatigue.

((Probably one should ask for a Hunt roll or something like that, particularly as she was traveling on constructions rather than in the wild. But it's more interesting if Fiona finds the trail, so....))

Regardless of whether Fiona goes back to the main library or to the council chamber, she quickly catches Tranquillina's scent, probably only about 10 minutes old (not surprisingly). She follows her nose up the stairs to the highest level of the regio castle, emerging at the top of the structure's highest watchtower. From here, one can keep an eye on the path leading to the mansion itself (there's Fiona's cottage, not too far away) and even make out the Tribunal village across the long stone bridge; one can also see nearly to the top of the mountain, or crane one's neck and spot a little bit of the valley river far below.

When Fiona walks onto the floor of the watchtower, her quarry's scent is still as strong as ever. But she does not see Tranquillina there - only one of the grogs, looking at Fiona.

((Make an Awareness roll and a Folk Ken roll. :slight_smile: ))

((Fiona's cottage is easy to spot, even without the garden surrounding it on all sides. It's got a vibrant, bright yellow roof so Moire can find it โ€“ she has No Direction Sense.))

Awareness: Per 0 + Awareness 3 + die roll of 9 = 12.

Folk Ken: Per 0 + Folk Ken 1 + (die roll of 1, followed by a die roll of 9) 18 = 19. 20 if it's a maga.