1228 Elia Ex Misc

My mistake, I was calculating as if the mystic tower were size +3 not size +4, it is 2618 cubic paces (assuming 1 pace=3 yard, conversions vary), where a size+4 puts a cap of 10,000 cubic paces. On the other hand wall of thorns is 80 cubic paces at size+1, which should have a limit of 10 cubic paces, suggesting that there is a multiplier for empty space (or an un corrected errata).

Honestly I suspect the mystic tower size came from confusing diameter with radius in calculating volume.
That being said the mystic tower is +4 size with the same base of 1 cubic pace for stone and plants, while the tower Elia is describing is significantly larger and she has it as size+2.

Let me put it this way. In 4th ed, Conjuring the Mystic Tower was a CrTe35 spell with the same dimensions. They just didn't create a new spell from scratch. And technically, the spell is correct. Reducing the spell by one magnitude, you would get a smaller building. The spell could be reinvented at the same level to be bigger. But to create a structure of variable dimensions and shape would probably add magnitudes to the spell. So it can be explained away by, whoever used the guideline first thought a tower of those dimensions was ideal.

Assuming 5 floors of 10' height each and a round shape, I come up to 35343 cubic foot, not including the branches. This is larger than size +3 allows with the size guidelines or a base individual of herbam. Bringing it down to 3 floors of 10' height each, you would have 21205.8 cubic foot of housing space and a rough 27% additional volume for the branches and roots of the trees, which would be size +3 (27000 cubic foot / 1000 cubic pace). Gamemaster to assess if 27% additional volume for branches and roots makes sense, and the complexity level for the proposed spell.

Keeping it to size +2 will make something way smaller than what is proposed.

Each floor would have 706.86 square foot. That's large enough for a small apartment with a bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, cupboard space and the stairs, for each magi, or less rooms but bigger one. This is fine, although with the 3 floors I'm suggesting, you may need to cast it twice if we each intend to have an entire floor.

@silveroak I have changed the spell to House of the Olives, does it need to be changed further? is the rest of it approved? I want to know before I add it to the roll of seasons.
At this size, it would be enough for each Magi when we visit the tribunal, and since it's gonna be Formulaic, Elia can cast it several times, so each of us has his own private house, maybe clustered together.

If it is approved, I'll take 2 Exposure XP in Creo for Autumn 1229, and 2 Exposure XP in Rego for Winter 1229. And then make an Aging Roll.

These are all fine, please remove the reference to MoH from the bountiful feast, since I am likely to double check it every time I see that, since MoH tends to be a red flag for me.

1 Like

Done.

Come Spring, Elia will ask, first the covenfolk, primarily Giovanni, about getting a specific staff commissioned for her:
A length of Cedar wood, oiled with Olive oil, and topped with a piece of Amber, shaped like the Orange fruit, and surrounded by small orange-tree flowers made out of Ivory.

Some Notes:

1. The Shape and Form file I have mentions Orange gives +5 sight, I am assuming it can mean either the color, or the fruit.
  2. I haven't seen a form/material bonus for flowers, or olives, and this might be something to pursue, but even if doesn't give a bonus, I want it to be noted. Not sure if it would help, if she manages to create a bonus, or finds someone who researched such a form/material bonus. But it would remain a nice touch.

orange, listed in mystery cults, refers specifically to the orange tree.
cedar does state cedar tree
olive may well have shape and form bonuses but your character will not know what they are without some form of experimentation, the same applies to flowers.

That's fine.

I assume it would take some time to get such an Item, so for Spring 1230, Elia will start working on an Herbam Summae that is L10Q10. This will take her Spring and Summer to complete, and will be added to the covenant's library.

sounds good

OK, since things got pushed back, here are Elia's Plans for the rest of 1230:

Summer-Autumn: Write the Herbam Summae L10Q10.
Winter: Explore the Magic Realm, going beyond the entrance, to see other places.

make sure those are on the schedule on the wiki

I went ahead and added those to the spreadsheet

Summer: Invest Lesser Device
Boots of the Light Traveler
ReCo35 (R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind)
These leather boots have tiny magnets hidden in the leather. 24/day it may be used to make the wearer move up to 500 paces in the blink of an eye, as long as he can see the spot he's moving to.
(Base 20, +1 Touch, +5 Fast Trigger, +5 24/day)

Cost: 4 Corpus Vis

Lab Total:
Rego (13) + Corpus (19) + Int (5) + MT (7) + Aura (8) + Lab (1) + Familiar (9) + Similar Spell (6) + S&M (7) + Summer (3) = 78
Similar Spell: Seven League Stride
S&M: Boots +5 (affect walking), Magnet +4 (Rego Corpus)

Winter: Spell Research

Gentle Caress of Aesclepius CrCo30 (HoH:S p. 100)
Similar spell: The Chirurgen's Healing Touch (+4)
Lab Total:
Creo (16) + Corpus (19) + Int (5) + MT (8) + Aura (8) + Familiar (9) + Similar Spell (4) + Fall (-3) + Focus (16) = 82
22 spell levels left

Work of the Medic's Ward
CrCo10 (R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind)
The target gets a +6 bonus against disease for the spell's duration.
(Base 3, Touch +1, Sun +2)

Magnets in the 13th century were very rare and needed to be imported from Greece. Through the redcap network they could be ordered a season ahead.

Then we can switch the two seasons, and it works out.

okay, note that on the seasonal spreadsheet

It would be 72 lab total for the item investment, which is still enough to do in one season, and the lab total for the spells will increase to 88, and it was already 2 points higher than needed.

At the end of Summer 1231, Lena will inform Lady Elia that she is done preparing the necessary reagents to enhance the Amber and Cedar as requested of her.