1228 Lena the Alchemist

17 is the result of the check.

You realize in that time frame that what you are looking at is in fact an alternative philosophae, describing a different foundational understanding, apparently for a different world.

Also of note- you will need to take a season to convert the hermetic laboratory you are using to a philosophical laboratory.

That will be my winter 1229 season. Character updated.

Would reading Metaphysics (Aristotle)- philosophae 7 SQ:12 allow Lena to apply experience towards developping the reagent formulas for what was requested by Elia?

"Amber (controlling movement +3) and Cedar (any effect with mentem and herbam requisites +5)"

Yes, but you will have to develop the enhancement of mentem and herbem requisit bonuses separately from each other.

Just to clarify. Normally a formula is worth 5 xp, and reading Metaphysics would give her 12 * 1.5 = 18 xp. Are you saying I must get 13 xp + a formula in one season, then another season to get 13 xp + the second formula, rather than 8 xp + 2 formulas in a season of reading?

No, I'm saying that you can get 3 formulas and 3 xp in philosophy in one season if you wish, but that you have three formulas to learn- improving amber's ability to control movement, improving cedar's ability to affect improve any effect with a mentem requisit, and to improve any effect with a herbem requisit.

Ah, so you treat the cedar S&M bonus as two different bonuses, got it.

I'm looking to update Lena. I noticed I made a mistake in Summer and Winter 1229 by not applying Affinity w/ Philosophae. Can you look before I change the experience output for those two seasons and proceed to advance 1230?

Thanks!

You are correct, you are short a total of 7 xp in philosophae between the two seasons, both in tracking an on the sheet.

Ignore the affinity comment, it's actually a mistake, Lena has Puissant rather than Affinity. laughs at his own mistake No corrections made.

Based on your 05/08/2021 ruling that increasing S&M bonuses through alchemy falls under enhancing secondary, please see the following recipes:

Amber polishing wool
Regeant Level 10
Alteration: Minor

When this wool-like substance is rubbed over Amber, it's inherent magical properties towards "controlling movement" is enhanced by +1 (to +4 total). Each recipe produces enough wool to polish up to 50 ambers of 1 cubic inch.

Base 5, +1 minor

Cedar's bath
Regeant Level 10

This recipe produces a slightly acid yellow liquid in which a piece of cedar can be immersed to enhance its magical property towards effects with an Herbam requisites by +1 (for a total of +6). The acid will react contact with the cedar wood, as the transformation occurs, gradually losing color and becoming colorless once inert. This reaction doesn't otherwise impact the wood's natural color. The reagent recipe produces enough liquid in which a 1 inch thick, 4 foot 2 inch long staff can be immersed - or an equivalent volume of cedar broken down in small parts.

Base 5, +1 minor

Cedar's primer
Regeant Level 10

This recipe produces an oily substance which can be painted onto cedar wood to enhance its magical property towards effects with a Mentem requisites by +1 (for a total of +6). The oil can acts as a sort of primer and doesn't otherwise prevent oiling or painting the wood. The reagent recipe produces enough oil to coat a 1 inch thick, 4 foot 2 inch long staff - or an equivalent volume of cedar wood.

Base 5, +1 minor

These appear to be good, except that the primer should probably be altered to where it is absorbed ito the wood the way an oil does rather than sitting on top as a primer (btw a primer will prevent something from being oiled)

Primer may not be the word I'm looking for. It's for Elia's cedar staff, which I know she wishes to oil with olive oil, and I don't want to ruin that for her. Any idea that's flavorful? I was thinking something that happens before the oiling stage. I'd like to avoid the recipes being called First Bath and Second Bath :sweat_smile:

how about treatment?

Sounds good.

Cedar's treament
Regeant Level 10

This recipe produces a water-based substance which can be painted onto cedar wood to enhance its magical property towards effects with a Mentem requisites by +1 (for a total of +6). The treament doesn't otherwise prevent oiling or painting the wood. The reagent recipe produces enough treament to coat a 1 inch thick, 4 foot 2 inch long staff - or an equivalent volume of cedar wood.

Base 5, +1 minor

I'll be ready to advance Lena up to the end of 1231 depending on whether there is something going on that requires her presence or whether I can add a study season.

looks good

Lena has been advanced up to Summer 1231.