1229.1 Where All Honor Lies

Korvin sighs. You do not need quaesitores to do your investigation. You can do it and if there is enough for a case, bring it before a tribunal. They can not deny it if you have evidence. But if they catch wind that you are looking at the Redcap then evidence may begin to disappear. Our enemies are not stupid. If you request Alaire there is a good chance that the real people behind this will hear.

((I have a response for this thread saved on my PC at home, hopefully I can post it later today))

"That is wiser than a fast response, I'll bet they're counting on us to over react. We keep the note, bring them up on formal charges at Tribunal. We'd want to do a bit more investigating just to build our case and charge everyone involved. My guess, Alaire would not fall alone, if charged and it was serious enough, he'd tell who put him up to this. But...If I can find who else was involved, I may take more actions. I can also be a bit subtle, perhaps I should investigate that Inn and see what more I can find?"

Sounds like a good idea, says Isen. The more fish you can catch, the more of their plans you'll disrupt, and the more we may be able to learn.

((I'm bumping this, the intent is clear, but the actions to match it aren't. Qcipher, I know you've been busy with family stuff, but I just wanted to clarify that I don't know what you're wanting to do next.))

((Sorry for the delay, every once in a while I saw that the thread had been updated, but I either didn't have the time to post or it wouldn't let me, hopefully this works now))

"While I can go there and not arouse as much suspicion because of my gentle Gift...I'm still not very good at subtlety, plus I'm sure all of the Redcaps know who the Chief Hoplite is. Maybe sending some grogs is the answer? Some of the more crafty ones. One of us could be nearby to support them, let them see if they can gather information." he pauses a moment. "But perhaps they'd only find what our friend has already told us...or even less. No...I think it's still good for me to go to this Inn and ask some questions. I'll make some preparations. Can Renaud come with again as a guide?"

Alexei won't find anything else at the inn in Autun, Renaud would know this so he would suggest a different course of action. There are perhaps some other gaps for the player to know about that Alexei would. Alaire isn't a common redcap on this side of the Tribunal, his business keeps him primarily in the western part of the Tribunal. One thing that should stick out is that Alaire did not make use of Harco in his movements. He could have simply gone from Dragon's Rest to Harco to Mons Electi to deliver the message. Instead he went through Cunfin, and walked overland for several days, diverting in Autun.

((This was the clue-by-4 I needed))

Alexei inquires about the route that Alaire took, since he is not a regular to this part of the Normandy Tribunal. At the mention of the alternate route, Alexei starts to think there might be some opportunity. "Who resides in Cunfin? What lies on that route?"

Renaud could tell you of several good taverns on that route and of Yolenne of the Golden Hair [1] he pauses to sigh and look off in a daydream until Korvin elbows him in the side ... but Renaud would guess you mean what is there other than monks? The current Mercere House is located within the regio. Renaud might in turn pose a question to noble Alexei, what might be gained by Redcap to take a longer route. You might think of taverns and beautiful girls and those are worthy to think of but what is not on the road from Cunfin.

[1] You can hear the italics :smiley:

Alexei is nodding as he pours another cup of wine for Renaud. "Aye, while there might be distractions along the way, my thinking is that a different kind of rendezvous was the reason. Who else might Alaire have met along the way?"

Korvin chimes in. Renaud should have said what does Harco have that the road to Autun not have? Redcaps.

Alexei cocks his head a bit as he thinks about that. "So he was avoiding Redcaps? Or avoiding them as well as other business, such as meeting whoever sent him on this? Either way, I think that this will be the way to go. I'll gather some grogs. But..." he looks at Renaud questioningly. "a guide would be useful."

So, what's the plan. We can resolve whether Renaud comes with or not later. qcipher, I want Alexei to be driving this story. So since I suggested that visiting the Inn not useful, the plan to go to Cunfin or to go straight to Dragon's Rest and visit Alaire?

((First Cunfin, and doing some investigation there. Seeing what turns up there, and after that maybe the the Inn. That seems to be the best course of action at this point. I don't know the countryside well (me personally) nor the hermetic layout, is there a Covenant in/around Cunfin that Alexei would know of? That hasn't been made clear to me, sorry))

Nope, just Cunfin. I think it's about a week's journey away, assuming 20 miles per day, if going overland.

Renaud would travel with you but not to Cunfin. You would do better to get the answers without the presence of the notable Renaud as the ill-humored simpleton that runs the Mercere House resents Renaud's wit and pleasantry. That he can not compose the meanest of ditties nor fathom the deep complexities of Renaud's jeu de mots would just lead to more vast complications than Renaud could bear to impose on the noble friend of Korvin.

"Very well, I can go there myself, well Donner too. I'll investigate what I can from there and see what comes of it. But you don't feel that the inn will help much? If that is the case I'll only head there if something at Cunfin leads me there. I'll need that letter back, Donner can help me track where he was in Cunfin with that."

((Alexei will proceed to get some grogs and supplies for the trip))

((This has been so frustrating lately! I haven't been able to load a page reliably since Sunday))

Alexei will gather some silver, supplies and grogs and get some detailed directions to Cunfin before heading out. He'll bring Michel, Helmut and Brionne on this junket. He's also bringing vis, Rego and Corpus, 7 pawns each if it can be spared. ((From what I could make of the chart at Obsidian Portal it looked like that was available))

((I'm not going to do anything particularly interesting on the trip if you're going to travel overland. You can get to Cunfin two ways, overland or via Portal by going from Harco to Dragon's Rest to Cunfin. You can identify the grogs you're taking.))

Alexei and his party arrive at the abbey outside Cunfin, just after Nones, when the monks are returning to their assigned tasks. Alexei knows that Cunfin is actually in a regio accessed within the abbey.

Alexei whispers to Donner. "Be on your best behavior, and mind our hosts." Donner growls as he looks up from the post he was busy sniffing. "Here, see if he's been around here." Alexei holds out the letter for Donner to sniff. From there Alexei sees if there's a monk that he can address without compromising their duties or tasks.

((Not sure, can Alexei just walk in and access the Regio? I'm assuming he needs an intro))