1259.4 Ales well that ends well

Eve sits down across from Laterala Let me think how to best explain this. Eve takes a beer and sips it, thinking. A pause before launching into her explanation. I'm going to be candid for a bit, it would hard to give a good explanation otherwise. First I guess why this tribunal, why Translyvania? Well, that's easy. A reprieve from all my House-mates, and people who want my next book, and really don't want to wait. And have enough pull to be really annoying. They have conflicting ideas about what I should be doing, and the combination leaves me with less than no time. Translyvania with all its fancy rules will insulate me from that. While we haven't hammered out all the details I'm pretty sure you'll be pragmatic enough to not try and schedule every season of every year with study and writing books or making enchantments that everyone wants to buy. Yes, I know that sounds like every magi's dream, but I want time for my own esoteric projects, and time to investigate interesting places in the field.

Which I guess comes close to answering the next question, why Heviz and not an Oppidum dedicated to improving the library or to enchanting? Here I can still write the occasional book for the Tribunal, I'm sure you'll want access to my mysteries for some enchantments, and you'll have plenty of opportunities in the field. I get what I want, a reprieve by hiding behind the Tremere reputation and contracts, plus a chance to investigate in the field. And the Tribunal gets an underpaid maga since I just explained how I don't have any better options. Eve sighs at the end.

I doubt the Tribunal wants books at the moment and I'm not sure the Tribunal wants to pay the price for any...mysteries. We are more interested in a submersible to explore the hot spring. That will be your main job.

The mysteries themselves aren't for sale obviously, just the items produced with their aid. For example, they will come in handy when opening the submersible. Not many magi outside of House Verditius that could open such a thing. I probably won't be able to provide it with every enchantment it would need, but I could open it and provide the Verdi runes.

I shall look forward to seeing your design.

Now, do you have any contract requests?

I do actually, some are pretty basic, some not so much. Eve pulls out a sheet of parchment and unfolds it:
[i]

1. The right to perform mystery rites shall have the same protections as laboratory work or study.
  2. The Tribunal shall have first opportunity to purchase any books, vis or magical items that Eve wishes to sell or gift. Eve may not accept outside commissions.
    2a) Magical items shall have standard House Verditius prices.
    2b) The price of a tractus, not under and restrictions shall be twice the number of pawns Eve could extract in a season. Tracti or silver may be required instead of vis. In this case a sound tractus is considered to be worth 2 pawns or more, and 15 pounds of silver is considered 1 pawn when accounting.
    2c)Eve may retain no more than two copies of the book. These copies at the buyers option may be placed under the Oath of Calf and Cow for 49 years. Furthermore, any works that Eve writes that are sufficiently similar a magi would find no additional insights by studying the second work and its copies are also under the Oath of Calf and Cow for the same time frame. Eve may not sell these books or rent them. She may lend them or gift them without pay.
    2d) Writings Eve sells are not under the Oath of Calf and Cow upon sale, although the new owner may add this restriction.
    2e) It should be noted that Eve's duties may require her to produce writings or items without any pay. Eve must abide by all other Tribunal restrictions on trade.
  3. Eve shall have access to space for a regular laboratory and sufficient funds to maintain the laboratory at normal expense, and pay her servant Juno. Eve will have access to resources to replace equipment in her lab in cases of catastrophe.
  4. Eve shall have access to sufficient writing materials for herself, her familiar and one assistant to write and copy and correspond. They shall have access to a bookbinder, and illuminatior and scribe to complete any writings produced.
  5. A measure of Vis in equal parts with other magi at the Oppida of Heviz
  6. Full access to books and study materials as allowed to full members of the Opidda of Heviz
  7. The right to participate in Aegis castings, and the right of her familiar to participate in Aegis castings that cover her sanctum.
  8. Any books that Eve writes and furnishes to another as part of her duties, shall have two copies made. These copies at the Tribunal's option may remain under Calf and Cow for up to 49 years. In addition during this same time frame any works that Eve writes that are sufficiently similar a magi would find no additional insights by studying the second work are also under the Oath of Calf and Cow for the same time frame. Eve may not sell these books or rent them. She may lend them or gift them without pay.
  9. Eve maintains all ownership of her existing Vis Sources. Eve owns any vis she personally produces. This vis may not be counted against her when vis is distributed to members of the Oppidum.
  10. Resources required for required services shall be provided by Tribunal, or Eve shall have the materials replaced by the Tribunal as soon as reasonably feasible, or alternative compensation as deem acceptable by Eve.
  11. The larder or kitchens shall maintain a supply of mice available to familiars. They need not be alive.
  12. This is not the entirety of Eve's duties and she has additional ones as per her residency contract with the Oppidum
    [/i]
    Number 2 is oddly important. You would not believe how many people think that I should definitely write a commentary on their awful work, and not only should I write it, but I should be honored they are asking me too. Okay that happened one time. If you want to add anything else or remove something objectionable this is definitely negotiable. I'm not a scholar of the Code so if something needs to be clarified I won't be at all surprised. I should probably let you read it...

Laterala gets out her quill and begins reading. Then crossing out some sections. When she is done she hands it back to Eve.

Most is agreeable to the Tribunal.

1) The right to perform mystery rites shall have the same protections as laboratory work or study.
2) The Tribunal shall have first opportunity to purchase any books, vis or magical items that Eve wishes to sell or gift. Eve may not accept outside commissions.
2a) Magical items shall have standard House Verditius prices.
[strike]2b) The price of a tractus, not under and restrictions shall be twice the number of pawns Eve could extract in a season. Tracti or silver may be required instead of vis. In this case a sound tractus is considered to be worth 2 pawns or more, and 15 pounds of silver is considered 1 pawn when accounting.[/strike]
2c)Eve may retain no more than two copies of the book. These copies at the buyers option may be placed under the Oath of Calf and Cow for 49 years. Furthermore, any works that Eve writes that are sufficiently similar a magi would find no additional insights by studying the second work and its copies are also under the Oath of Calf and Cow for the same time frame. Eve may not sell these books or rent them. She may lend them or gift them without pay.
2d) Writings Eve sells are not under the Oath of Calf and Cow upon sale, although the new owner may add this restriction.
2e) It should be noted that Eve's duties may require her to produce writings or items without any pay. Eve must abide by all other Tribunal restrictions on trade.
3) Eve shall have access to space for a regular laboratory and sufficient funds to maintain the laboratory at normal expense, and pay her servant Juno. Eve will have access to resources to replace equipment in her lab in cases of catastrophe.
[strike]4) Eve shall have access to sufficient writing materials for herself, her familiar and one assistant to write and copy and correspond. They shall have access to a bookbinder, and illuminatior and scribe to complete any writings produced.[/strike]
5) A measure of Vis in equal parts with other magi at the Oppida of Heviz
6) Full access to books and study materials as allowed to full members of the Opidda of Heviz
7) The right to participate in Aegis castings, and the right of her familiar to participate in Aegis castings that cover her sanctum.
8) Any books that Eve writes and furnishes to another as part of her duties, shall have two copies made. These copies at the Tribunal's option may remain under Calf and Cow for up to 49 years. In addition during this same time frame any works that Eve writes that are sufficiently similar a magi would find no additional insights by studying the second work are also under the Oath of Calf and Cow for the same time frame. Eve may not sell these books or rent them. She may lend them or gift them without pay.
9) Eve maintains all ownership of her existing Vis Sources. Eve owns any vis she personally produces. This vis may not be counted against her when vis is distributed to members of the Oppidum.
10) Resources required for required services shall be provided by Tribunal, or Eve shall have the materials replaced by the Tribunal as soon as reasonably feasible, or alternative compensation as deem acceptable by Eve.
[strike]11) The larder or kitchens shall maintain a supply of mice available to familiars. They need not be alive.[/strike]
[strike]12) This is not the entirety of Eve's duties and she has additional ones as per her residency contract with the Oppidum[/strike]

Interesting choices, May I question how much in the way of materials and support for writing I will be able to expect? Surely there will be some level, its not as if we can't copy out our lab texts. We are able to have our lab texts copied out right?

Laterala raises an eyebrow. We will have paper enough but there is no need for a scriptorium and complete book making operations here. If you wished that you should have gone to Tablinum. If the Tribunal wants to pay you for a book we can make the craftsmen available. Otherwise we can request the services of the craftsmen when we need them.

This will rewritten to say

An equal right to all surplus provision and store necessary to conduct her studies, or the travel demanded by those studies; such rights to include (but be not limited to) vis, monies, and diverse magical and mundane resources claimed by the Oppidum.

So I'll be able to get the needed craftsmen if I want to write something? Same thing for any lab texts I write out? Or send out to wherever? Its not a huge deal, but its a good way to make vis when I have a spare season. Its why I started writing in the first place. It turned out terribly. Maybe I should try and learn something from that. And sharing lab texts is always good. It would be a waste for anyone to reinvent my work.

We have scribes that are skilled enough to make manuscript quality copies. We will have access to an illuminator if the need arises.

I just have one more request which sadly can't actually be official. Can you say the restrictions on sales and gifts were Tremere driven clauses if anyone asks? Also can you invite Jane into the Aegis? Jane's my familiar.

Yes, of course.

((I've hand waved the familiars so consider it done))