1260.2 Market Forces

"I was successful against Scamandrius[1] only because he didn't know my capabilities. My next engagement, my next attempt to take down a declared enemy of the Order will not be so easy, nor will I have the element of surprise on my side. As to Panacea's father, well, I hadn't expect that you knew him, but I came to learn he had worked on some things with House Mercere, so there might have been a possibility."

Ophelia won't try and dig anymore out of the Redcap than he's willing to give.

[1] So, I just named the infernally tainted magus, or corrupt magus, or whatever. If you need to change the name, or have already named him, just edit the post.

Crispian loosens up after the talk turns away from himself and continues to point out various landmarks and history. In Vukovar, he guides you to the docks and to a large river barge. As you approach, Ophelia can see a small man ( not a dwarf but on the short side of average) in robes she knows to be Tremere talking with what she might assume is the deck crew or dock workers. He seems to be telling a story as they all burst into laughter as he is making some wild gestures. He sees Crispian approach and steps out to meet your group.

Ophelia can see the mistrust in the crew's eyes as she moves forward as is common with dealing with people with the Gift. The magus greets Crispian warmly like an old friend. This is Ophelia ex Flambeau. Hoplite for Hèviz. Ophelia, this is Honorius ex Tremere. Assessor and our guide to the Tribunal.

"Honorius, I'm pleased to meet you." With some mirthful self-deprecation, "Please take it easy on me, I'm rather new to politics." And she smiles warmly. Her charm total is 12.

I do not like politics either. I generally have to deal with mundane politics so it is just different people but the rules are basically the same. We shall have time to chat later. We shall wait a bit longer to see if we have anyone else arrive.

He gestures to a crewman on the barge and instructs him to show your group to their quarters. As your group goes up the gang plank Honorius calls out. Crispian! Gala is on board. This gets a grin from Crispian.

Ophelia has a private cabin that is sparse but has some comforts. Her men are near by but bunked in groups of 4. ( I was not sure how many were brought).

After several hours, she can hear/see ( depending if she is on deck) the ropes being taken up and the barge go out to the river.

She has at least 5 men with her. More if anyone else wants to tag along. Companion or grog characters from anyone else are welcome.

"Well, of course, one doesn't have to like a thing to be any good at it." She says with the strong voice of someone who has experienced just such a situation.
She'll spend a lot of time on deck, and her men would probably do so as well, to avoid the cramped quarters.

She will find Honorius sitting near the bow. With him is Crispian, talking to 3 other Redcaps, and another Tremere magus. Honorius stands when Ophelia approaches and greets her. He introduces the rest of the group. Standing by Crispian is a young black haired female apprentice Redcap named Ruth. Her master is a tall and very beautiful female Redcap called Gala. The third is a slightly plump man with almost no hair called Yoan. The Tremere is a non-smiling bald man named Carnifex. Honorius says he is a Disputant; an official House dueler.

We have another on board. A Quaesitor but he is opting not to join us.

Carnifex is interested when Honorius says you are from Hèviz and asks who is the Aedile. When Ophelia replies Laterala he visibly winces.

"I'm pleased to make everyone's acquaintance." Ophelia asks warily. She dressed in one of her simple grey dresses without any ornamentation, and perhaps a warm cloak if the spring day is too cool. She is wearing a quarrel of bolts on her hip. Her men aren't in their armor, but it is all on deck and nearby. The men are running Hector through his paces with practice weapons, indoctrinating him further into the trained group. She takes a seat such that she can converse with the magi present and keep an eye on her men.
Out of the corner of her eye she catches Hector, acting as the vanguard about to get a vicious strike from Pyrrhus, she easily succeeds in timing her spell to arrive at the moment of Pyrrhus's impact, based on her lighting casting speed[1]. Her spell relocates[2] the group sparring with Pyrrhus to a spot behind him, despite it looking like the group couldn't possibly retain cohesiveness, she finds a good spot, and Hector is in position to strike. Unfortunately, Hector was caught flat-footed by the maneuver, and is unable to execute a good attack on Pyrrhus, whereupon the sparring breaks for a bit of discussion.

"My apologies, we're training a new member of my tactical unit. I saw an opportunity for a lesson and struck. So, what is this reclusive Quaesitor's name?"

[1] First roll is a 1. Even if it isn't a stressful roll, it's a high total of 14, and will only get higher.
[2] She doesn't become fatigued from the spell due to stalwart casting.

There is a general cheer from the crew of the barge at the sparing. Bets are going back and forth and when the teleport happens there are cries of cheating from from some and laughter from others.

The older Redcaps ( Crispian, Gala and Yoan) seem mildly interested in the practice, preferring their own conversation. Ruth is fascinated with the practice. Honorius and Carnifex are paying attention to Ophelia rather than the practice.

The Quaesitor is named Marcalla. I'm guessing she will not come out while my friend Carnifex is here. Honorius pats Carnifex on the shoulder and Carnifex almost smiles. You see. She is fond of bullying in her cases. Carnifex has had to step in...twice?

Three times now. Carnifex said in a deep voice.

Honorius scratches his jawline. Three times. Never to decide a case mind you but to stop the bullying. She is an accomplished dueler for her House. I think the Tribunal just wants my friend there just in case.

More as a warning. She is too proud for her own good. She should bring in Rotgiers as a champion Their methods are the same. Carnifex looks over to Honorius who is still scratching around his jawline. Is there a problem?

No...no. I've had it on too long. I'll be fine for the moment.

Ophelia recognizes (total roll of 6) Rotgiers name, if only because he is a former Tremere who joined House Flambeau, she doesn't know a lot about him, but can put the pieces together, based on his known associates within the House. She witnessed how the House had been divided after the death of Garus, which happened towards the end of her apprenticeship. Lucius and Ariel were the primary applicants for the Primus, Ariel narrowly winning, and one of Lucius's allies was this Rotgiers. "Rotgiers is a pig. Or so I assume, by his associations. So this tells me a great deal about Marcalla."

Ophelia will peer closely at Carnifex, to see what she can see what "it" is. Awareness total of 11.

((My writing needs to more clear. It is Honorius who is scratching and Carnifex who is concerned. I'm assuming you meant Honorius Nothing leaps out at Ophelia about him.))

Honorius looks a little embarrassed at the attention. So...Ophelia. Have you done much Dueling while you were in... I'm guessing from the accent, Thebes or Levant?

"No, I'm not much of a duelist." She pauses the conversation and teleports Pyrrhus away from the blow he's about to receive, putting him at the flank of the group. Hector is less fazed by this maneuver and rolls to intercept the blow coming down on Onassis. The blow is partially deflected, striking Hector across the forearm and causing him to drop his weapon. Another break and discussion follows with Pyrrhus demonstrating techniques, and a short lecture about not trying to do too much and rely on the rest of the group to do their jobs, too.

"And yes, I'm from Thebes, originally. My men and I hunted supernatural creatures that plague the covenants of Thebes, the ones that the covenants themselves couldn't be bothered to hunt, or were otherwise incapable of hunting. I'm sure I couldn't hold my own against a Tremere, unless the stars aligned and I picked one of his weakest Arts."

I'm sure you will get a chance. Honorius says. Nothing serious I'm sure. Many in my House like to have contests. It helps to...get to know someone better.

Honorius begins scratching his jaw line again. This will drive me crazy. Please excuse me for a moment.

Honorius turns towards the river and pulls the hood on his cloak up over his head. He then reaches up with his left hand. Fingers splayed out wide and seems to grasp his face and pull it off. Ophelia can see a mask that would cover his entire face in his hand. Honorius reaches up with his other hand and scratches an itch.

Carnifex genitally takes Opelia's shoulder and turns her away. It is not polite to stare.

The Redcaps, if they noticed, do not react.

"Curiosity, trying to get to know someone better. But to be honest, I'm paying more attention to my men. Hector is new to us. But in an effort to show I'm capable of being polite, consider the matter dropped."

Honorius steps back over. He looks the same as before but has left his hood up. Do not concern yourself. My House is not one to let talent go to waste. My...appearance can cause a distraction to my words. Hence (gestures to his face) the mask.

So, Ophelia. Tell me of the monsters you hunted in Thebes?

"Creatures both fey and magical. We were almost always able to harvest vis from the creatures we faced, and so I received both the vis from the body of the slain creature and payment from the covenant. All that in addition to the annual stipend from the Tribunal. A few giants, drakes, one creature with 7 magnitudes of might, but that one was well planned and, or extremely lucky." She takes a deep breath, "Truth be told, we didn't hunt monsters constantly, maybe 3 years out of five? Although the last 4 years have been difficult, and I saw the writing on the wall."

Have you seen any of the Dragons of the Tribunal? We might get luck and see one on this trip.

The Redcaps ( except for Ruth ) join in the conversation. Telling various stories about dragons they have seen in the Tribunal.

"To answer your question, no I haven't seen any. But I have a question in return, when you say we might be lucky that suggests that you don't think they will be hostile?"

Crispian chimes in. They could be hostile if we get one that thinks we are an easy target. That would most likely be on the boat. I was more hoping to see one flying in the distance. That is a more common occurrence than an attack.

Honorius nods in agreement. We tend to stay away from them unless they force an issue. Then they will generally back away and look for easier targets if we show some strength. But that depends on the dragon.

What about Oğuzhan? Ruth asks.

He is a special case. Yoan says and Crispain agrees.

Gala speaks up. Are you and your men planning on being vampire hunters? You many never run out of business in this land.

"I'll hunt anything that is a risk to the Order. If you know of a vampire that needs to be hunted, I'm happy to help."

All the Redcaps laugh at this. Honorius has a pained grin and Carnifex is looking at his feet.