1271.3-1272.1c It's In The Way That You Use It (Clement)

At the start of the 2nd term, the students find that two chess sets have been set up in the lab area of Clement's Artes class. Near the end of the normal lecture, Clement leads them to the lab and instructs them on the rules of the "primus" version of chess and allows them play some games with the time remaining. He watches over instructs on the movement of the pieces and pointing out beginning strategy.

Averell sits and listens intently and with much delight when Clement begins to discuss the principles of chess. He studies the pieces, taking in the moves that each of them make, beginning to chart different moves and strategies in his mind before he even has a full grasp of the game.

"Now this I can get behind," he absent-mindedly says out loud. "This is my kind of thing."

He loved it. This was a thinking man's game; this wasn't as clumsy as spontaneous magic, and it wasn't as unpredictable. This game...its moves...its strategies. He understood that this required thought, and planning, and the foresight to properly move your pieces to win.

This was....no, this would be...his arena. Although he would learn practical magical talents, he now knew he needed things that required him to think.

Imric takes a while to get the hang of chess. The rules were simple enough. But at present he doesn't show the interest or inclination to think ahead more than a move or two. Time, no doubt - and many losses - will teach him otherwise.

Margerethe practically squees with delight at something else to try, and sits at a board across from Babette. When the game starts, she reaches for a piece, then decides to try something different. As she touches the first piece, she casts a spontaneous Rego Terram spell (assuming the pieces are carved from stone). Base 2, R: Touch +1, D: Concentration +1, T: Group +2, for a spell level of 10. She has a snowball's chance of pulling it off, but she's going to try anyway. Her CT is Sta -1 + Re 1 + Te 1 + Aura 4 + die roll of 7 = 12, halved is 6. Worth a shot.

She casts the spell, but nothing happens. She scowls at the board for a moment before she makes her move. Her chess play is more Folk Ken-based than anything else, trying to "read" Babette to see what she's going to do and acting against that. (Per -3 + Folk Ken 2 + die roll of 7 = 6.)

Babette seems entranced by the whole affair, looking at the stony pieces on the board. She remember that there was a board like this in her village, but this was much more ornate. She didn't really get the strategy but simply seemed thrilled to watch the games proceed. Once she was sitting across from Margarethe though she looked more confused than anything else as she looked at the board. With a tentative hand she reached for the knight's piece and then hovered over it, uncertain and unfocused.

Good Margerethe. It is harder to move the pieces because they are stone. Perhaps some clay pieces.

He casts a spontaneous CrTe and makes two white knights of clay and replaces Margerethe's knights.

Lets see Babette. If this bishop were to be like this. He casts a CrIg a to make a small flame that kind of looks like a bishop and replaces her bishop that could move. Could you move it?

[hr][/hr]
Clement casts CrTe base 1 touch +1 +sun +2
CrTe4 (1d10=7) + Cr10 + Te9 + aura 4 + Stam 2 = 32/2 = 16

CrIg10 Base 3 + Touch 1 + Sun 2
CrIg10 (1d10=9) + Cr10 + Ig 9 + Aura 4 + St2 = 34/2 = 17

Babette looks up at the professor and smiles and then looks back to the fiery chess pieces. She started to bring to mind the words and gestures to call upon her Arts when her head tilts curiously to the side. Without hesitation she reaches forward with her bare hand and plucks the flaming piece and holds it aloft, the flames doing nothing to the skin of her hand. She begins to speak in a voice that echoes from deep within, sounding hollow and unnatural.

"And behold the burning man, alight with condeming flame. He walks upon a crooked path, following on the left hand always. The towers rise ever higher to block him, yet crumble all about, for their foundations are built upon sand. And above and before and around him fly the changeling birds, the eggs they lay will hatch with curses for all, warmed in a nest of betrayal. They do not do his bidding but never stray from sight of him. Listen for the birds for he will not be far behind..."

With that she collapses into her chair and lets go of the flaming chess piece and sits like a puppet with its strings cut.

Margerethe is impressed by how Babette is holding the fiery bishop without harm. But then she's confused when Babette starts prophesying...then shrieks when she collapses in the chair.

[color=purple]"Herr Professor!" she screams as she runs over and checks on her.

Clement bends and checks that she is still breathing and when assured that she is he looks to Margerethe. Calm down. It appears she had a prophetic vision. I have little experience in them but they are not unknown to my house. The shock of the vision has made her unconscious.

Clement picks her up and lays her on a unused bench. To the class: You may all go if you wish. We will pick up the discussion on Bonisagus' 3rd revelation of Intelligo tomorrow.

To Margerethe. You may stay if you wish. I will take her to her bed if she doe not wake up soon.

Hybrida. Please see if Professor Fiona is available to talk. If not then fetch Laterina. I will let you know if I am still here or in the dorm.

Clement will wait for the students to leave then take Babette to the dorm unless Fiona or Laterina are on their way. Otherwise Hybrida will tell them he is going to the dorms with Babette.

Margerethe is rattled by what happened...so much so that she reverts to her native German. [color=purple]"I would like to stay, please, Professor. I know she'll be okay, but I would like to be here when she wakes up."

[color=blue]"Tell Clement that I will be there directly," Fiona says. She grabs her medicine pouch (full of various medicinal herbs and other necessary items) and hurries to Clement's classroom. She looks around quickly when she arrives. [color=blue]"How is she? What happened?" she asks as she moves next to where Babette is lying.

Babette seems to be coming around as if from a deep sleep. She looks about her wearily and manages a weak smile. "I'm sorry professor...I think I was not able to move the piece. Hi Professor Fiona!"

Clement pauses for a moment while Hybrida translates for him. In Latin Margerethe. We always speak in Latin within the Order. And you may stay if you are quite.

She had a vision while attempting a spontaneous spell. I know you had Viviana visit for just this reason so I thought you might want to know. I shall copy down the vision before we leave. We can also have Margerethe help as she was next to her. But for now, we must just make sure Babette is alright.

You did better than you might know Babette. We can try again tomorrow as the strain was a little bit much for you.

Imric gathers his things and moves to leave the room, as instructed. But he's slow about it and lingers at the door, looking with concern at Babette. Finally, with no more excuses left, he leaves the room. But the look of concern remains on his face.

When Babette slumps over into a pile of unconscious flesh, Averell looks down at her with serious concern. He's never witnessed anything like what just happened, and he's saddened that something has caused her to fall into a less-than-conscious state of mind. He leaves the room as instructed, looking over his shoulder several times, hoping that she wakes up before he gets to the door. Unfortunately, his view of her is blocked by everyone else standing around her, so he heads back to the dorms, waiting to hear news.

[color=purple]"I'm sorry, Professor." she says before she moves off to one side. Although she's somewhat proficient in Latin, she still forgets it when she gets excited...that is something she will have to work on. She look on with concern, unnoticed as she stands against the wall.

[color=blue]"You seem to have fainted, lass. How are you feeling?"

She casts Revealed Flaws of Mortal Flesh silently and without gestures (she has it mastered for [i]Still Casting[/i) as she brushes Babette's hair (which turns white momentarily). Her CT is +28 – No Words 10 + Aura 4 + (die roll of 1, followed by a die roll of 10) 20 = 42, vs a Spell Level of 10. What a waste of a perfectly good 20.

Babette smiles sleepily. "I feel fine, just tired. I would like to sleep but we still have class yes?"

No. Classes are over for today. Margerethe can walk you back to your dorm if you wish. Do not rush if you need to sit for a moment.

((We can pick this up in the 2nd semester thread as it takes place there.))

Margerethe lets Babette rest for as long as she wants. When there's no one else around, or on their way back to the dorm, she asks: [color=purple]"Do you know why you fainted?"

Babette seems unaware of anything awry as she walks along Fiona cheerfully. "Oh no Margarethe, I did not faint, I think I was sleepy. That magical chess...I'm afraid I'm not very good at it though." Babette says cheerfully as she looks about her while they walk.

*[size=85]edited for the right character[/size]