1271.3-1272.1c It's In The Way That You Use It (Clement)

Margerethe smiles as she looks at the candle. The blood of the spirits of the air flows through my veins, right? she thinks. This should be a piece of cake. Hopefully I'll do better than that smarmy Ambrose did, at the very least.

She performs the words and the gestures exactly as Herr Professor Clement did, going likewise for a spont CrAu 3. Her CT is Sta -1 + Cr 1 + Au 2 + Aura 4 + die roll of 2 = 8, halved is 4. Barely. And Margerethe looks a little disappointed.

(edited because I thought the Aura was 3 for some silly reason.)

Outstanding!

((We did forget the aura in the calculations didn't we. Babette would have made it in that case. Do we want to edit the posts? Also, I would allow the kids to get a confidence point from the exercise. Up to JL))

Aura is 4 and is included in Ambrose's calculation.
Confidence point is fine.

I corrected Babette's post for the Aura (I knew I forgot something!), but she has low self-esteem, so no Confidence.

[color=purple]"Danke...Thank you, Professor," Margerethe beams, so giddy with the praise that she almost forgets Clement's admonition of only Latin in the classroom. She was hoping that she would be able to create a strong enough breeze to blow out the flame, but that might have been a bit much for someone who had just started to learn magic. She would do better next time, she just knows it.

Averell sits in the back of the class, watching and mimicking the professor's motions during the demonstrations, and then he sits there mimicking them constantly while the other students perform their exercises. And he waits there patiently for his turn, hoping he hasn't been forgotten in the back of the class this whole time.

Averell. Your turn. Step up here and give it a try.

With the full attention of the class upon him, Averell gets a little red-faced and sheepish. He hasn't practiced much in the comfort of his room at night, and he's a bit nervous that he'll either mess up terribly....or not produce anything at all.

Nothing at all would be worse than something, even if the something is wrong...

He cleared his throat a couple of times, then attempted to produce the spontaneous CrAu3 like the other students. Creo 1 + Auram 1 - Stamina 2 + Aura 4 + die roll of 0, checked for botch rolling 9 and 4 (so no botch), = 4. Halved is 2, so Averell fails. And hangs his head low to show that he knows he blew it.

(OOC: Not sure how many botch dice you wanted. Normal is 1, and I have Weird Magic, which added the second die. If you need more, I'll gladly keep rolling to see if I can hose this! :slight_smile:)

Clement pats Averell on the shoulder. That is fine Averell. Rest up and you can have another go at it. This is not easy.

To give Averell time to rest, Clement will talk about the feeling of magic when it is used. It seems to be different for each magi and similar at the same time. For example, when casting a Creo Auram spell I hear the color of a blue-grey. Others have told me that they might taste or see a musical note or an emotion. Some become addicted to the feeling while to others it is painful.

After rambling like this for about 2 minutes, Clement has Averell give it another shot.

After getting the go-ahead from Clement, Averell tries once again to produce the spontaneous CrAu3 like the other students. Creo 1 + Auram 1 - Stamina 2 + Aura 4 + another die roll of 0, checked for botch rolling a 2 and a 9 (so no botch), = 4. Halved is 2, so Averell fails.

"Sorry, Professor. I guess it's just not my time to produce anything of substance."

[color=purple]"Don't worry, Averell," Margerethe chirps. [color=purple]"I'm sure you'll get it next time. If you want, I can practice with you later."

"I'd like that. I need all the help and practice I can get."

The first term for Clement will go basically in the same mold. Study one technique for several weeks and then try to cast a spont spell with it. The other teachers are informed when Clement thinks the students have enough ability to cast with a technique.

Clement will spend extra time on Rego as he thinks it is a very important technique and can be tricky to master.

Ready to advance to spring term, then or do more here?

((I will. Just waiting for the other classes to make it there.))

Sitting there quietly, Imric raises his hand. "Would you like me to try, Professor Clement?" he asks tentatively.

[hr][/hr]
Um, forgetting anyone? :stuck_out_tongue:

Imric is too quite :slight_smile:

Of course Imric. Step up here and give it a try.

Imric is a little hesitant, in his words and gestures. His strengths seem to be more with Terram than Auram. But he gives it his best. Alas, his best isn't good enough. He tries to get the wind to come, but despite his best efforts he's rewarded only with still air.

[hr][/hr]
[sup]1[/sup] Casting Roll = [1d10 + 2 (Cr) + 0 (Au) + 1 (Sta)]/2 = [1d10+3=13]/2 = 3/2 = 2; fail
Botch die: 1d10=9; no botch.

Since he got all of his Arts opened at the beginning, I assume he would only have one botch die. Let me know if I need to roll more.

Also, I'm assuming that although this is in 'easy' conditions, the fact that it's one of his first spells makes it a stress die rather than a simple die. If for some reason it was actually a simple die, then he rolled a 13/3 = 7, which is a success.

BTW, it's Imric, not Imac.

((Do not forget the 4 aura))

That is alright Imric. Rest up and try again

Long needed bump!