30 (-7) Days of House Ex Miscellanea Traditions

It's interesting, but I feel like it needs quite a bit of clarifications, and that the Shadow's Second Sight is way too high.

1. What happens if the Magi's Living Shadow is destroyed?
  2. Does the Magi still casts shadows if his Shadow goes off?
  3. Why doesn't the shadow gain Stealth?
  4. Are there way to increase the Living Shadow's Might? if so, how?
1 Like

In hindsight think I rushed creation of the tradition a little bit. What you bring up if fair and I will have to rework it a bit here and there. There was definitely information I shouldn’t have left out. I will try to work the virtue later and make the wording more exact, and maybe add some more fluff. For your points:

1. It dies, leaving no vis behind. The magi’s shadow becomes enterally mundane again, reappearing if they were separated at the time. This isnt the best solution since it doesnt make losing one especially impactful. On the other hand, since they are fragile and weak I don’t want make it especially punishing either.
  2. The magi cast no shadow if they are separated.
  3. Good point, it probably should have Awareness as well. Just wanted it to be simple therefore the few abilities.
  4. I didn’t intend for it initially but perhaps there should be some method. Or the Might be a result of the magi score in Living Shadow. I will ponder it a bit.
  5. Regarding Second Sight I based it on the Gruagach Fletch Minor Virtue which has that same score. Though a fletch is a bit more limited in what it can do. Lowering it does seem fair.
1 Like

Well written, and I can totally imagine that cult existing in the ancient world. I want you to know that I absolutely love what you've done with this thread. And I find your adaptation of composer of power into an ex miscellanea lineage interesting, through the mechanics of asclepieian rituals.

That being said, one of the big challenges you face is creating lineages that make sense with the rest of the canon. While I enjoy the writeup as a possible background material for pre-hermetic time, do I think this lineage shoud be part of Ex Miscellanea in 1220? Not really.

Consider the following timeline:
4th century AD: Sacking and abandonment of Epidauros
Prior to the foundation of the Order: Epidauros is resurrected by members of the Theban League.
767 Creation of the Order of Hermes
775 House Tremere invades Greece. The Theban League subsequently joins the Order (presumably, this includes Epidauros as one of the oldest covenant of the Order)
817 The Ordo Ex Miscellanea joins the Order of Hermes. Pralix is more or less busy in the British Isles before that.
A couple of years until 848: Brief usurpation of Epidauros by House Tremere
848 The Sundering
Second half of the ninth century: A filius of Pralix comes to the Theban Tribunal. He recruits the first ex miscellanea lineages from the Tribunal into the Order (Witches of Thessaly, Cult of Orpheus and Pharmacopeians) which form the bulk of the Erebos covenant. This is, as far as I know, the first foray of the House into the Tribunal.

For this lineage to exist within ex Miscellanea, they would have had to:

• Not been part of the initial greco-latin roots of the Order, which is always weird to me since so many Houses are founded on the remains of the cult of mercury and other magical practices that were well integrated in the Greco-Roman world (Diana, Hephaistos)... which the cult of Asclepius should have been by virtue of being a relatively mainstream cult in Greece, part of the same pantheon rather than foreign in nature;
  • Not have been established at Epidauros prior to House Tremere's invasion of Greece, since that covenant would join the Theban League and thus the Order of Hermes, and any hedge wizard living on a covenant site would probably be served a very rapid "Join or Die";
  • Not have moved back to Epidauros after the Sundering of House Tremere and their retreat from the covenant, since again, this is a covenant of the Order;
  • Ignored the obvious benefits of learning hermetic magic and the parma magica for close to a century despite being fully aware of the existence of the Order and its superior or equivalent Creo Corpus magic, prior to deciding to join the Order through Ex Miscellanea in order to keep their virtue.

What kind of hole did they dig themselves into for close to a century that they could ignore the events at their HQ, their patron deity sponsoring a hermetic covenant, and their co-religionist in a pantheic sense joining the Order, just so they could fatefully meet a Pralician strolling into Greece on a recruitment mission? Did you consider why they were not at Epidauros for so long? Or if they were at Epidauros - did the senior leadership join another House, while the rank and file ignored the decision? Or globally refuse to learn hermetic theory until a Pralician show up, even though they joined another House?

1 Like

Hmm. The tradition does seem to have some problem fitting nicely into the canon history, especially if you consider the Epidauros covenant. This is my fault for not reading about it more carefully and not considering what it meant truly. I am a bit unfamiliar with the Theban Tirubnal and its history. First, I will address the concerns:

Not being part of the greco-latin root of the Order can be explained. All who Trianoma visited didn’t come to the Founding. My thinking was that Cult of Mercury already knew most things the tradition did so there wasn’t much Bonisagus could learn from them in theory, so perhaps they were even overlooked.

True they couldn’t have been at Epidauros at that time, otherwise it doesn’t make sense.

This also seems inexplainable.

Guess this can be best explained by them joining the Order along with other traditions during the Second half of the ninth century. Underestimating the pros of joining if they indeed were visited by Trianoma. No Societates might have sought them out. House Jerbition would probably be only one interested in the tradition. Or for some reason be it enmity or being unable, they bid their time.

Now for how to fix it, I can think of a few options, but none are perfect. Combining some of these could also work of course.

1. Very little change but the traditions interest in the Epidauros covenant is removed. Perhaps they have their own secret Asklepion. This isnt ideal for many reasons: Why make Epidauros less special? Why doesn’t the tradition care that one of their temples has been taken over? Why does Asklepios favour the other site (could be multiple aspects of same daimon I suppose). Maybe going as far as removing from Theban but this seems odd. They might avoid Epidauros as they say its cursed or something or associated with some past treachery or something of that ilk.

2. There was some disaster/quest which caused them to go dormant or leave Greece for a period. Perhaps finding the snake who showed Asclepius the magical herb which could resurrect people. Why would they all leave though? Those who stayed might have been slain around 775. But why would the tradition not hate the Order then? Perhaps they forgave them since their patron made a pact with the eventually?

3. Senior leadership joined initial founding and a few other were left to themselves. Could explain a lot of things but wouldn’t the Seniors want their whole tradition to join? Perhaps there was some conflict, but again wouldn’t the tradition be enemies to the Order then?

4. The current tradition is not “second spring” tradition. Basically, the tradition was thought to be extinct, but someone reviewed it, somehow. Perhaps someone who’s basically a Hedge-Seeker found a secret Asklepion which was a filled with instruction the old tradition tried to hide from the Order as they weren’t hunted down.

5. Move tradition to another House. Very simple but not my original aim.

6. The tradition is only recorded in history and was never part of Ex Miscellanea. Also simple but again not my original aim.

Also side note: I didn’t post a tradition yesterday so I will post two today.

1 Like

Balaenatores

Key Facts

• Favored Tribunals: Provençal
  • Major Non-Hermetic Virtue: Greater Immunity to Drowning
  • Minor Hermetic Virtue: Minor Magical Focus: Whaling
  • Major Hermetic Flaw: Necessary Condition: Holding Harpoon

History
Since at least the late 7th century the Bay of Biscay has been at the forefront of a particularly dangerous profession: Whaling. The riches that can be made in this trade barely makes it worth the risk, yet the people of the Basque coasts have continuously hunted these massive creatures.

Whalers often sought out methods and charms to make their hunts easier and safer. As these protective charms, superstition and minor craft magic expanded one after one it slowly turned into a minor and obscure magical tradition.

The tradition continued to grow and develop new protections, eventually being noticed by the Hermetic Order and invited into the Young House. The tradition was eager to accept as this new magic was much more effective than their own charms, though the Parma was of little use to them. Some magi of the Provençal tribunal protested claiming the tradition was way to weak for the Order, but these protests were only voiced before the first member had already sworn the Oath and had his Arts opened. The tradition's name comes from this original member, whose Latin was very poor.

Culture
The tradition is still deeply rooted in whaling and much of its customs are determined by it. Most members consider themselves whalers first and magicians second. Being a magi is a means to an end. That end being more whales captured and their oil and blubber harvested. Perhaps it’s not surprising then that the tradition’s Gauntlet is hunting down a whale. These Gauntlets can almost rival House Flambeau’s in its flashiness.

Magi focus on developing spells and items which makes whaling easier and less dangerous. Luckily hunting whales can be quite profitable both in mundane and magical means. Whales' sweet smelling mouths attract all sorts of beings, some of which can be harvested for vis. Magical whales are usually way too large to hunt, though this hasn’t stopped the tradition from trying. A whale’s bone, oil and blubber all make good material for enchanted items and resonant materials. They all fetch quite the price as well.

The tradition is also highly local and as a consequence very closely tied together. There are very few members of the tradition which makes this even easier. The tradition meets regularly for their favoured pastime: whaling. These hunts are orchestrated by the tradition’s leader who live at and care for the tradition’s look-out towers and ships.

Currently the tradition is – along with the mundane whalers in the Bay of Biscay – planning to expand their influence along the coast. Moving into the Iberian Tribunal northern coast and possibly even the English Isles, where enterally different whales are said to be found.

Characters
Most magi specialize in Aquam and Animal, the two most useful arts for whaling. Due to the Gift, most members try to invent spells or items that replace the crew, since even the slightest unease could have disastrous effects on a hunt. A notable exception is the hunt where each member of the tradition partakes. Many members are loners even when not whaling, preferring solitude on the ocean or staying in some watchtower. Many have little interest in the Order and its politics, though its magical secret has a great allure.

Many characters have good scores in Profession: Sailor and of course Profession: Whaler, Awareness and Swim are also common abilities – all of whom are taught during apprenticeship. Even when drowning isn’t a threat, there is still much danger in sailing. Losing an arm or a leg isn’t uncommon, especially not during apprenticeship. Some magical whales are known to remember those who try to attack it and have been known to await their revenge – represented by the Supernatural Nuisance

3 Likes

Pečenicrates

Key Facts

• Favored Tribunals: Transylvania
  • Major Non-Hermetic Virtue: Divination & Augury (Scapulimancy)
  • Minor Hermetic Virtue: Puissant Animal
  • Major Hermetic Flaw: Study Requirement

History
A tradition that has many ties to both Christianity and the peasants of Serbia. Before being introduced to the Order the Pečenicrates lived as respected wise folk in different villages. During the Twelvetide they would lead the communities in special ceremonies and divine about the community’s future. Love magic and other divination were also common, the rituals usually were connected to slaughtered animals.

The tradition was introduced to the Order relatively early by a combined effort of House Tremere and House Ex Miscellanea, though since then there has been many issues surrounding the tradition.

A feud between the Pečenicrates and the Hermetic Haruspexes has persisted into the 13th century. The fighting supposedly originated from a shared origin, where both traditions claim that the other stole their secret methods of divination. The Pečenicrates further claims that many other methods of divination – like Causimomancy, Ooscopy and Aleuromancy - all are similar diluted versions of their divination.

Culture
The members of Pečenicrates tries to live like their ancestors but with a Hermetic twist. Helping Serbs peasant and offering interpretation of the coming years harvest and the health of the animals and so on. This is hard to for a magi to fit in their busy lifes. A usual member of the Pečenicrates usually spends at least the Twelvetide in these humbling environments, but not always the full 12 days since the laboratories can’t be suddenly abandoned. Though this break can be combined to combat the Study Requirement flaw imposed on the tradition.

The structure is very loose, the tradition is more connected to the Serbs than each other. Sometimes the communities overlap and require cooperation between two or more magi. The tradition is more connected in shared politics and personal relationships.

The tradition is very opposed to House Ex Miscellanea official leadership. Rejecting both the authority of Cad Gadu and the Primus. Each member is often very public with these opinions and actively opposes any attempt to centralize the House around either of the elements. The reason for this disdain is debated. Some supposes that the reason is the Haruspexes feud since that tradition is famous for supplying prima. Others say its due to Tremere influence, wishing for Ex Miscellanea to remain weak and divided.

Characters
Most character focus equally on Hermetic Arts and Divination, but very few seek out new methods. Doing so would be looked at very unfavourably by the tradition. So would traveling to Cad Gadu or writing to the Primus. All these actions might earn a character the Black Sheep story flaw. Many members are devout Christians and may take flaws representing this.

Major Magical Focus in domesticated animals is a common virtue, but a Minor Focus in Animal Bones is also common. Special Circumstance (Twelvetide) is also very common, which bonus might be increased further since it’s so limited – with troupe approval.

2 Likes

The Prechten

Key Facts

• Favored Tribunals: Greater Alps and Southern Rhine
  • Major Non-Hermetic Virtue: Shapeshifter
  • Minor Hermetic Virtue: Affinity with muto
  • Major Hermetic Flaw: Restriction (Casting spells on people who have seen your face)

History
Frau Perchta is a rather obscure goddess who was both feared and respected in the Alps before Christ. Connected to both the mystic art spinning and the fate and the souls of the dead. Stories of this white as snow goddess are many and vary in description. She was said to lead Wild Hunt, cut the bellies of taboo-breakers and reward loyal servants.

The traditions honouring this goddess and her followers remained within the Roman Empire and with Christianity spread. The people in these mountain regions are still careful to leave offerings and pay their respects during the feast of Epiphany.

The Prechten is a small community of wizards whose origin is closely connected to this goddess. They are her entourage and though the Perchta’s power seems to have weakened theirs have not. The tradition remained in the cold and harsh alpine landscape, using their magic to survive.

The initial meeting between the Order and these obscure masked magicians were not on the best of terms. The magi of the Greater Alps long thought it was some faeries who were promoting the cult of Perchta. When the matter started getting unfavourable attention from the mundane it was investigated. When the magi learned that the reason was some obscure tradition rather than the usual fae a Pralician maga was contacted. Later Alpine magi have lamented why these investigators simply didn’t eradicate the troublesome hedge wizards.

Culture
The tradition’s most distinct feature is the elaborate mask they wear. These Precthen Masks are often made of wood and come in two distinct motifs. First is the Schönperchten, these usually have feminine features and depict beautiful human faces. The second motif is the Schiachperchten. These masks in contrast are grimacing monsters – with goat horns and animal fur decorations. The two masks are said to represent different aspects of the goddess Perchta.

What qualifies a member to become a Schönperchten or a Schiachperchten isn’t enterally clear to the Order. But the distinction and division is clear. Schönperchten dress in clothes that are long and white while the Schiachperchten prefer dark robes. The groups seem to perform separate tasks and concern themselves with different matters. Schönperchten seems to perform blessings and protect communities while the Schiachperchten curses taboo-breakers and fights evil spirits.There clearly is some structure and hierarchy though how it works is not known to outsiders.

The highpoint of Prechten activity is during the feast of Epiphany. Each member of the tradition gathers during this time – the members often refer to it as Prechta feast day. The location for the high point of the celebration is a mystery to the alpine magi, they simply know that members excuse themselves and disappear. Suggestion of half abandoned temples or faerie regios are common. Others suggest instead that the tradition has identified Bonisagus’ cave and are using it for their own malicious means.

Characters
Most Prechten are secretive, but perhaps this only the impression they instil in people due to their masks. The members focus on magic which aid surviving in the mountains. Auram and Animal is the usual focus, but some (often Schiachperchten) dedicate their life studying Vim instead. Shapes of resilient animals who thrive in the treacherous mountains are common. Swan is also a common shape. This is due to some stories of Frau Prechta having a single swan foot. Swan Maiden blood is also a common virtue.

Ways of the Mountains and Nature Lore (Mountain) isn’t uncommon. Many members have an interest in pagan religions, even if they aren’t pagan themselves. The goddesses Holda and Diana have many similarities to Prechta, this interests many in the tradition and they wish to learn more about these separate goddesses and their followers.

The Prechten often pursue their own goals and ideals, meaning many members live different lives. Some are deeply connected to the Hermetic Order while others live more aloof. The Greater Alps tribunal particular wealth and customs makes being a hermit particularly hard however so most members try their best to fit in.

2 Likes

Ollerus

Key Facts

• Favored Tribunals: Novgorod Tribunal
  • Major Non-Hermetic Virtue: Major Essential Virtue: Good Aim (Dex)
  • Minor Hermetic Virtue: Tethered Magic
  • Major Hermetic Flaw: Short-Ranged Magic

History
The Ollerus are one of the most controversial traditions allowed into the Young House. The reason for this is traditions origin: the unexplored Scandinavia. Exactly how the Pralician magus encounter the tradition is quite unclear, and many theories are ominous. The threat of the Order of Odin is still a concern in many magi’s mind. Many think that allowing these Norse wizards into the Order might be a terrible mistake, as it could very well be the first step in the Order of Odin’s plan. Most magi however have never heard of this minor tradition.

The tradition of wizards themselves have done very little to earn this mistrust and suspicion. Most are a friendly bunch who enjoy talking about their origin, former homeland and tradition’s history.

The tradition considers the god Ullr as their founder. Ullr was a cunning wizard who travelled the mortal world and performed magical feats. Famous for crossing oceans one bones, his yew bow and skiing. The tradition claims Ullr – much like Odin – taught magic to a few humans, and that they are the inheritors of these arts.

There seem to have been some sort of fighting among the wizards in Scandinavia – resulting in the Ollerus’ exodus and their encounter with the Order. The nature of this conflict is rather confusing and seems to have slowly turned into bloody feuds. Many members have commented that such feuds would never appear if they had the endlessly useful Parma Magica.

Culture
The Ollerus is not a very structured tradition nor a particularly large one. The members live a separated life mostly in the Novgorod tribunal – which environment resembles that of their former home. The tradition has been advised to avoid the Rhine Tribunal, though there is much draw to that tribunal – in the form of other Germanic traditions and their secrets.

The tradition’s apprenticeship lay much focus on crafting a few particular items. Firstly, and most importantly the yew bow. Each member creates their bow and cares for it. The bow is a useful tool that allows members to tethered spells into arrows and launch them. Most make this bow their talisman later in their life. A second item is skies. Most members of the traditions enjoy skiing immensely and Ullr is said to have done so as well. Some create sleds and shields as well. All these items are common for tethering spells into. Before being introduced to the Hermetic Arts the Ollerus would mark these items with runes, some still engrave them even though it serves no magical purpose.

Being forced out of Scandinavia has had a big loss for the tradition. They can no longer assess a magical regio called Ýdalir, which is said to be Ullr’s own realm. Finding a new entrance to this regio is a goal of many members.

Characters
Most members train both martial abilities and magical arts, especially focus is laid on archery. Many enjoy working with woodcarving and similar crafts. Surviving in harsh winter and skiing is also often taught during apprenticeship. Spells who aid in these activities are common. For example: spells that conjure arrows or warding off cold. Most characters find it hard to tie themselves to one place, enjoying more to travel and move. This is another reason that many members have found their place within the Novgorod Tribunal.

3 Likes