30 Naranjs for November

Who Was Your Last Master?
Solomonic Astrology 15

This naranj informs the caster of a spirit's previous master, if there are any. Some sahirs cast this as a ritual to ease the penetration total of a spirit they are interested in summoning later with their summoning arts.
A more scandalous version is used against potential spouses.
(Base 5, +1 Basic, +1 questions of the past)

1 Like

Our Enemies Are Here! Stay Alert!
Solomonic Storytelling 10
Allure: Emotional

Causes an audience to go from asleep, groggy, or dazed to awake and alert. A Perception + Personality trait roll is occurs against an ease factor of 6, with attentive personality traits likely being subtracted in the roll against the spell, while lazy or similar personality traits adding to the roll.
It is said that this spell was used many times against soldiers who suddenly fell asleep in the Levant in the middle of important events.
(Base 4, +1 Emotional, +1 ease factor)

1 Like

Does N Have the Gift?
Solomonic Astrology 20
Detail: Brief

The spell informs the sahir about the magical potential of the target. The brief information imparted includes whether the Gift is normal, gentle, or blatant. It also helps distinguish if the target merely has a magical air to him. Although the guideline could be lower for the regular or blatant Gift, a higher guideline is used to also detected the harder to detect Gentle Gift.

(Base 10, +2 Brief)

Note: I'll update the table of contents when I have time.

1 Like

Snow Under the Skies of Baghdad
Solomonic Alchemy 25
Alteration: Substantial

This fantastical spell causes a rain or storm cloud to bring down snow upon the area it rains. This effect must usually be cast as a ritual, as the effect must be held, and the spirit must then fly up to a rain cloud to then release the effect. If a sahir is in a high enough elevation (such as on a mountain or a flying carpet) then he does not need to do so.
(Base 4, +2 Substantial, +3 Size)

edit: Thanks to sglasby for pointing out a grammatical error

1 Like

Make the flames last just a little bit longer
Solomonic Alchemy 5
Alteration: Minor

Improves the primary qualities of a fire so that it lasts a while longer. At most, a dying flame could last a few more hours. Some sahirs suspect that this spell was developed by a crypto-Zorastian sahir.
Some further suspect that a group of Zorastian sahirs have found a way to create a magical fire that creates a preternatural tether.
(Base4, +1 Minor)

1 Like

Enough of this nonsense! Speak about something else!
Solomonic Storytelling 10
Allure: Supernatural

Causes an audience discussing something particularly controversial to change their conversation to something less so. If members of an audience beat an ease factor of 6 on a Perceptions + (Supernatural Ability) roll, they will not be influenced to change subject, and the dangerous discussion might very well start again.
Such a simple trick has allowed many sahirs to avoid discussions erupting into bloody brawls.
(Base 3, +3 Supernatural)

1 Like

Demolish the Portal of Hermes
Solomonic Alchemy 25
Alteration: Major

This spell greatly diminishes the cohesive property of the physical structure of a Portal of Hermes, making it structurally weak enough to be destroyed with a simple strike. Since enchanted items are much more durable than mundane items, the alteration must be Major.
(Base 10, +3 Major)

Since this spell is likely cast under an aegis, the caster must somehow have a high enough casting total (or a token and invitation from a member of the aegis) and a spirit that can cross the aegis (or is also invited into the aegis). Being in a situation where you are able to even cast this spell will be a great feat.

1 Like

I have been busy moving into a new house the pass weekend. I will attempt to catch up tonight.

1 Like

Where will N find taqa in Mazydan next season?
Solomonic Astrology 25
Detail: Thorough

This astrology spell allows for the caster to gain inceptions of how the seasonal activity of searching for vis will go (as described on page 152 of Cradle and Crescent). At the discretion of the story guide, this spell could provide a bonus of at least +3 to a maximum of +5 to the roll of the roll for the purposes of reducing the amount of time spent finding vis.
This spell is usually used for helping a sahir find vis Mazandaran, but it has been rumored that less honorable sahirs could also use this spell to "steal" vis from another sahir who is searching in the same area.
(Base 5, +3 Thorough, +1 Near Future)

1 Like

(Spirit), take me to the void where my adversaries will not be able to chase me!
Solomonic Travel 30
Delay: Immediate

Through quick expenditure of vis and haphazard markings of a passage, a sahir is able to make a direct passage into the Twilight Void. This is done as a last result when a sahir finds himself surrounded by enemies and unable to feasibly escape. Although expensive, six pawns is less than the life of a member of the suhar sulayman.
(Base 15, +3 Immediate)

2 Likes

Breathe air into the man by the river
Solomonic Physic 30
Potency: Mighty

With the casting of the spell, a deprivation wound caused by drowning that causes incapacitation (or less) is healed. Furthermore, the penalties from other deprivation wounds caused by drowning are reduced by seven for as long as the spirit maintains the spell. Those cast upon by the personal jinn of an oasis from Besada Al-Halqa proclaim that the murky water in their bodies is expunged for more fulfilling "holy" water. This is a result from the spirits "sigil".
(Base 10, +4 Mighty)

1 Like

The collapsing roof is light as a feather
Solomonic Alchemy 30
Alteration: Substantial

With the quick expenditure of vis and the commanding of a spirit, a sahir is able to make a falling object up to 500 cubic inches in size (such as the roof of a building or a boulder) substantially lighter. Depending on how high an object is, the sahir may not have enough time to cast this spell, but some paranoid (or devious) sahirs have been known to have this spell held by a spirit until the apropriate time.
(Base 15, +2 Substantial, +1 Size)

1 Like

Remember the majili which you did not attend
Solomonic Storytelling 20
Allure: Simple

After spending an hour telling important information about a majil, the audience is able to recall it as if they were really there. The audience can see through the effects with a Perception + Awareness roll against an ease factor of 12, although since they want to hear it the story guide may allow the roll to be forfeit. Several versions of this spell exists for especially important majils, each only covering a day at most. After the formation of the Naziris and the crusades, the Grand Vizer has ordered the destruction of most of these lab texts, save those that are of historical importance and little relevance today. Only the head of the Ashab Al-Qalb has all lab texts in his possession, guarded by a watchful dog-headed faerie that decapitates unwanted intruders.
(Base 10, +2 Ease factor)

3 Likes

The abandoned house of wisdom- not!
Solomonic Storytelling 30

Through expenditure of vis and the instruction of a sahir, a structure comes to resemble a boarded off and decrepit place. The sahir who casts this spell can concentrate at sunset to make it as if the place somehow undesirable to squatters (such as adding slightly concealed faces to the windows, or having dangerous animals seen sleeping through the windows). Gifted sahirs are known to take up abandoned buildings in Baghdad with this spell, often employing a spirit if they are able to cast this spell or commissioning greater bindings with this spell. Against a Perception+Awareness roll of 12, someone could see through this illusion.
(Base 20, +2 Ease factor)

1 Like

How goes the Majilis al-Sulayman
Solomonic Astrology 20
Detail: Thorough

By consulting astrological charts for an hour and observing other omens (such as the minute waves in a bowl of water or the way birds move along the sky), a sahir is able to both determine what is potentially being discussed at the moment of casting and the reactions of the five Asalat (and any other notable player). Most times this spell is casted multiple times during the second day of the Majilis, as information conveyed from the first day would most likely be that the audience is having a good time. Without knowing when and where the Majili starts, a sahir cannot cast this spell.
(Base 5, +3 Thorough)

2 Likes

Al-Nasir banishes you with contempt
Solomonic Storytelling 25
Allure: Simple

After telling a story about a merchant that kept messages from disgruntled customers in his home, a false memory is created in the audiences mind about a known merchant in the area, often negative in nature. Memories created could be the selling of low quality goods, the refusal to pay for services provided to him, or a general contempt throughout a regular transaction. Casting this story many times over a period of time could damage the reputation of the target. The audience must succeed in a Perception + Awareness check of 15 to remember the correct event (which is the telling of this story).
(Base 10, +3 Ease factor)

1 Like

Pull the strings of the mannequin
Solomonic Alchemy 30
Alteration: Minor

A wooden mannequin that can be up to 5000 cubic inches in size is animated, following the commands of the caster as he concentrates. Because of the Minor alteration, the movements seem unnatural.
(Base 15, +1 Minor, +2 Size)

The lab text for this spell makes extensive reference to other spells to be used in conjunction with this one. The man who found this lab text claim that he stole it from a gifted nizari who he killed many times.

1 Like

The bridge from here to beyond the Sea of Khazar
Solomonic Travel 25 Ritual
Delay: Season

This groundbreaking spell is an attempt to create an interpretation of the spell made by Niya al-Waziriyya al-Jabr Satefa al-Inshai al Qari al-Qalb on page 125 of Cradle and Crescent. Essentially, for as long as the spirit maintains this spell, the gap between the mundane realm and the magic realm to be crossed by summoning magics. This allows a sahir to summon spirits from the magic realm (or the mundane realm if he is currently in the magic realm) , either the regular way (through summoning spells and arts) or through seeking and scouring.
(Base 25)

2 Likes

Final thoughts
A month later and I have a few things to say about sahirs as a whole. I began this post-a-day as a way to both contribute something to fellow sahir enthusiasts and live out my desire for a sahir campaign. Although that desire is months off (I have to finish my current campaign with my players first), I feel that this experience has made me ready to know what I should expect and what I should instill into players new to sahirs.

One thing that I feel disappointed in is the rigidness of Solomonic Travel. Although it does do a lot of groundbreaking work, there is nothing special that can be done with the art as a whole without creating new guidelines through experimentation. On the flip side, the flexibility and range of other solomonic arts (namely Alchemy and Astrology) is pretty spectacular, especially since a nearly limitless amount of effects are derived from only a single box of guidelines. Between these two feelings are the arts of solomonic physic and storytelling, which I feel are good enough to stand on there own. Perhaps illusions shouldn't need to penetrate magic resistance considering how much of a problem penetration is for sahirs, although this could easily be remedied with spirits of high might and penetration.

I hope that this topic brought attention to what I believe is a overlooked part of Ars Magica, the non-hermetic side. Many thanks to those in the community who have been reading these and providing feedback, either on here at the forum or on the discord.

4 Likes

I know this is a necro, but for my existing campaign about the 1st Crusade, this thread is fairly invaluable.

2 Likes