A bit of Monkey business (Spring 1239)

We quite understand. Still, I believe we can afford to spend a week or two. If you would be so good as to introduce us to this factor, we will find lodgings somewhere nearby and ask to be told when his ship comes in. May we call on you for translation again when it does?

The priest nods, though faintly "In a week, the Bulgars may take notice. If all is well, yes." He takes you to see the factor, who is busily directing laborers at the warehouse with crates of cloth.

Before they do, Antoine interjects. Pardon me - I've heard you mention the Bulgars a couple of times now as if they're something we need to be careful of. I'm afraid I'm ignorant of the politics here; could you give me a quick run-down, please?

"Ipurus took Curfu from Venice in 1214, but their main fighting has been to recover Constantinople, and as attention has drifted elsewhere the Bulgars have taken to a sort of unofficial rule of the area. I'm not certain of all of the politics, I think when the Kingdom of Epirus merged with the Kingdom of Thessalonia, the old Epirus became neglected as they focued of Constantinople, anyways the Bulgars have more or less taken control like roaming warlords, so there is a general level of fear, and I understand the Church had a faling out with the Bulgarian Empire a few years back, so my position is tenuous here. Mostly they are well armed and of uncertain temperament."

Thank you, that's useful to know. Phelippe and I will be sure to keep a low profile while we wait. Do you perhaps know of anywhere we could lodge where we're less likely to attract attention?

To Phelippe, in French: It may be best for us to go disguised, a different face very day. I can see to that. But we must be sure our contact can find us when the ship comes in.

"Merchant's lane, near the docks. The innkeepers are multi-lingual, have been since we were under the thumb of Venice. Traveling merchants generally stay there, especially ones who don't speak Greek"

Thank you, that's most helpful. With that, Antoine is happy to meet this factor. Do you wish to play it out? If not, Antoine's suggestion is that he and Phelippe will take rooms, where the factor will be able to find them in the hour after sunrise - which they would very much like him to do the first day the ship comes in, here's some coin for your trouble and there's more when we meet the ship thank you very much.

The priest introduces you to the factor, who speaks only Itallian and Greek, and, predictably, does not think much of Antoine. He finally agrees to send a runner over to the inn- his time is too valuable to come himself, especially when a shipment has just come in, when he hears the ship has arrived. Only because the priest has requested his assistance though, well that and the money.

About a week later a young boy comes by the inn and has a message that your ship has come in.

I expected nothing else. I should have been explicit that I was only looking for a runner.

Excellent. The boy is sent on to see if Fr. Pious* is available for translation, while Antoine and Phelippe (undisguised) head down to meet the factor and the ship.

• We never did get a name for the priest. Here's one for free :slight_smile:

The ship is already unloading when you arrive at the docks, and the hairy man or presumed monkey is nowhere to be seen.

Ok, then Antoine and Phelippe seek out the captain. If this is a wide-ranging trader, there's a decent shot he speaks a smattering of French or Latin as a Lingua Franca; otherwise, we'll have to wait for the priest.

The Captain does speak both French and Latin. He is also busy directing the unloading of the ship.

Very well. With Phelippe acting as spokesman again, the pair approach the captain.

A fine ship you have, captain. I can see you're busy - I wonder if maybe you'd join my friend and me for a drink in the tavern later? I think you might be in a position to help us.

The captain, distracted waves you off "Drink, later, okay"

Very well, then. Antoine and Phelippe return to doing not very much, but keep an eye of the ship as much as possible without looking suspicious. As evening draws in, or whenever the captain looks like he's about to stop for the day, they head to the nearest tavern. If more than one, they try to find one which merchant officers appear to frequent.

Well before the captain is finished the priest shows up since you sent for him.

Of course he does. I should really have checked out the language situation first.

Ah, father. Good of you to come so quickly. It appears our ship has come in, there. Phelippe points. In fact, I've spoken briefly to the captain. It seems he and we both speak the same language, which is a happy circumstance! I believe that leaves you free to your duties.

"Indeed, well it is good to get some exercise and fresh air" The priest turns to leave when a short hairy man- or realistically an ape, comes striding back towards the ship.

Antoine doesn't want to spook the creature, so for the moment they saunter casually after him. Not threateningly, not sneakily, not overtly tailing him but not explicitly avoiding being noticed - just walking in the same direction as the ape. He's probably busy, so they'll just watch him for the moment, try to get an idea of his temperament, duties etc. Talking to the captain is probably still the best way to reach him.

The ape goes to the captain and talks briefly. The captain takes some note, makes some comments to the ape, who then leaves the ship again and heads back into town.