A Strange Serendipity (Winter 1239)

As he rises Lucien panics and his possessions drop. "Wha. Ok yes! Yes," clearly now his bravado is shaken, and he crosses himself as his feet kick uselessly about. "Put me down. Put me down. Pleeease!"

(Assuming you don't let him dangle there too long...)

When on the ground Lucien appears amazed and cowed. He speaks softly to himself more than Solomon while staring at you and the staff, "serpent's teeth". Then to you "I want to know. Sorry Brother."

He'll be keeping half an eye on the staff and probably flinch if it's pointed in his general direction. And will also certainly take Solomon's lead in terms of where to talk.

Solomon offers a genuine smile to the boy, "Good, then we understand each other." He grips his staff a bit tighter as he leans heavily on it and takes a step while putting his arm around him, "Let's grab a seat inside, it's getting cold out here and my bones are old."

Once they sit inside, "Lucien, have you ever wondered why things around you catch on fire when you're scared or angry? Or why the marks are you skin move and grow?"

Fair to suggest that when Solomon puts his around around Lucien, he's be very warm to the touch despite the wind outdoors.[hr][/hr]
"I think about that a lot. All the time." Lucien looks sad as he continues, "I don't know why. If it didn't happen I don't think I'd have left Auberive. Everyone started to hate me back there, and it has followed me to Arans too."

"Young Brother Matthieu once said that our duty was to bear our lives in payment for our sins, and the sins of our family. But I don't know who my family was. Matthieu also said a lot of other things that didn't make sense though, and the Abbot and the librarians did not trust him much." Touching a splotch on the back of his hand, "I know that the fires and my marks started to happen together, so I think they're related. I left the abbey because I wasn't going to be safe, but also so that it would be safer too."

If Solomon lets him continue talking, he'll relate more:
"Sometimes if I try I can stop the auras becoming flame. They're like golden shadows on things, but sometimes there are auras around other things too even if I'm not upset.
There was an old librarian named Benoit who died at the abbey, but I saw him again from time to time when I was little. He liked most of us. Claus took over his worktable because it got the best sunlight, and seemed constantly angry about this and that. I could have told them that Benoit didn't like Claus using his old table. I didn't see an aura when that fire started though, and I think Benoit did it himself because he never came back again after that. "

"You said you know why. You've seen this before?"
[hr]/hr OOC: I'm writing Lucien as honestly confused by the events and his circumstances. A skills roll would detect him telling the truth. He is speaking openly and truthfully to Solomon, however Lucien does not understand the difference between the factors of (a) The Blatant Gift, (b) the Monstrous Blood, and (c) Second Sight. They're all rolled into one malady at present.

Solomon nods, "Not your exact...symptoms, but enough to know what is causing your...problems. But know, these are not the result of the sins of your ancestors, but a Gift, given by the Lord to you to use as you will. The Gift is rare, but you are not alone. I too have the Gift, as do my associates. And we can teach you how to control it."

Lucien looks down at the table and thinks. After a long moment he looks up at Solomon again. The sadness is gone from his eyes, and his mouth is set. "I will learn. I will master the fire."

"Brother Solomon I want to know so much more. How do I begin?"

Solomon looks into Lucien's eyes, his stare probably a bit unsettling to the boy, "Lucien, this is not an easy thing that you are thinking to undertake. In fact, it will probably be the hardest things you've ever done in your life. Learning to control the Gift is difficult, and takes a long time. This is not a decision you should make lightly."

Again Lucien doesn't reply straight away as he thinks and while he is clearly worried and unsettled, he does not break eye contact. "I've not had many choices to make, but this one might be my last real choice if I don't accept the challenge. " His eyes look away, "or I go back outside. It's not really a choice unless I make it one. "

"If you really can teach me I will do my very best. "

What of Carmen and Clotilde?

Last we saw Clotide was eating a tableful of food while Carmen was arranging to talk with the other magi about the MIBWASOHB

And Carmen was waiting on word of where Solomon went, as well as a translator that can speak Galician

So we re basically waiting for ironbound tome to verify that she has received these things?

Solomon nods to Lucien, "Very well then, finish your drink and we'll be off."

Once Lucien finishes his drink and gathers his things, Solomon will lead (slowly with a limp) Lucien to the stable where Gabriel is. "There is another like you that will be travelling with us, as well as some monks that want to ensure I'm not kidnapping the boy. His name is Gabriel, and when you first meet him, you will feel a distinct dislike towards him. That is the effect of the Gift, and why others have always disliked you. Do not judge him by this, simply accept him for now, and in time you will have the ability to ignore such feelings."

[hr][/hr]

Selim appears wherever Carmen is and offers a grand smile, "Ah, the beautiful Pontifex Carmen. It is a pleasure as always, although not as often as I would like," he adds with a wink. "I hear tell you are in need of a translator?"

Most excellent! Yes indeed. This young lady is named Clotide. She was abducted by a malicious faerie who just ransomed her to us, and he threatens more children unless we magi come up with a solution or pay extortion.
In the meantime, I want to know where the girl came from and how she wound up in his clutches.

Selim nods in understanding and kneels down so that his face is at the girl's height and offers a friendly smile (he is quite handsome and charming), "Hello, I am Selim." The words are spoken in Latin, and he doesn't expect her to understand them, but hopes she'll respond in her own language, thus allowing him to respond in kind.

Clotide responds in Galaician. "You don't look like a church man, but you sound like one."

Selim smiles at the girl, "No, I am definitely NOT a church man. Your name is Clotide, yes? I am Selim. I come from far in the east, a land called Arabia, have you heard of it?"

Clotide shakes her head with a buttered roll stuffed in her mouth.

Selim nods, "Well, that's not surprising. Most of the adults here haven't heard of it either. Where are you from?"

Clotide looks at him funny "I'm from the woodcutters hut on the north side, the one with green door and window shutters."

Ask her where she is from originally. Where her parents are. How she got captured.