A summer in summary

Tomas looks up from the text he is study. "Tomas ex Bonisagus. Happy to make your acquaintance. Yes, we are working on building here, with the intention of having a hospital. Sit down, please." Tomas will provide some background on the group, and the general interest in exploration. And his own interest in Creo/Corpus. He will try to ask about Euthymios' background. Which covenant was he trained at? Whether he is, as many in Jerbiton are, interested in working with mundanes, and in general what brings him to seek out this very interesting and very awkward establishment.

Euthymios gladly takes a seat. "My training took place at a number of different covenants throughout the Roman Tribunal, although some of them would be unrecognizable as such by most, being more the residences of members of my House than covenants in their own right. There was a great deal of traveling involved, my parens being a very active individual. Still, I feel my training was more than adequate, and time was found to let me undertake a course of more mundane study. As to my interests regarding those without the Gift, many members of my House might think less of me for my fondness in spending time in the laboratory with my research, but I still have an interest in the training of skilled grogs. I have seen the value of what those outside our Order can accomplish, especially during my time in Bologna and Salerno, and my Gift is thankfully not so harsh as to impede me. If you intend to establish a hospital here, I would gladly assist in recruiting and training the staff, if your plans can accommodate another magus. As to what brings me here, I have a personal project, which I would be more reluctant to discuss if I had made any true progress. I specialize in the Arts of Vim and Creo, and have an interest in investigating unusual auras and the effects of Warping. Ancient sites such as you appear to be excavating here are often accompanied by auras of unusual strength or qualities. My hope is to discover why we cannot accomplish some of the feats known to be possible when undertaken by powerful spirits, and perhaps correct the issue."

Tomas tips his head when Euthymios gets to the part about investigating warping. "Well, I suppose that is no stranger than many of the things we have found or want to investigate. I have sometimes wondered if there is a way to ease the effect of warping on our sodales, but I have not the slightest idea, nor skills, for investigating that. It sounds to me like you will fit right in, and I could certainly use your help getting the hospital established. I will have to talk to the others of course. For now, grab a tent. And if there is anything you can do that will help with the initial construction, it would be appreciated." The next day, Tomas will look for the other Magi and discuss Euthymios with each of them.

Tartessos is not very keen on experimental warping. "Warping is an ill understood phenomenon that unpredictably results in temporal displacement and violent physical side effects that cannot be controlled or contained. To deliberately court this is sheerest folly and is sure to effect the covenant as a whole at some point. It is even theoretically possible to have a single warping, and concurrent twilight session cover a large physical area, such as all of Europe!

However, we keenly need additional magi to build our covenant. It is a quandry, but I suppose I could support Euthymios as long as he promises to clean up his inevitable messes."

Yeah, Tartessos is a member of the tinfoil hat brigade - just ignore him.

[tab][/tab]Maffeo blinks '[color=blue]The new magus? Yes, I met him and sent him your way.'. He listens as Tomas comments on his discourse with him '[color=blue]I do not pretend to fathom much of what he wants to study, warping seems to me more than a physical change of ones pattern." he shrugs '[color=blue]As long as he doesn't do any human experimentation, all is good. In fact, he can actually help with that hospital, he has both the mundane and magical knowledge too....and about that hospital...", Maffeo gently urges Tomas to the direction of Penko, so that they can now start on the building plans of the hospital and find its new location....

If Hakima is going to be an apothecary she will need to set up her lab before she gets to work...
also what exactly will be her relationship with the covenant? First non-member townsperson? Is she integrated into supporting the covenant? Is her being the apothecary something that works for the covenant now or is that something that would need to wait until it is better established?

Assuming that noone other than Tartessos has objections to Euthymios' presence, he will most likely be spending the season doing recruiting of grogs, possibly in the form of an adventure, depending on where he ends up looking. I'm guessing that there is probably not a structure suitable to set up a lab in yet, even an elementary one for a single task. Unless the caravan had some spare labs that departing magi did not bother to loot when it dissolved. The equipment of a lab is rather bulky, so that wouldn't be that surprising.

Edited my above post to reflect summer activities, not spring.

Xandran - there are an unspecified number of "mobile" i.e. caravan labs. Silveroak has been perhaps intentionally vague on this. Per his post on excavation, there are four underground temples that could presumably by used for labs. Paphos has set up a workshop in one of them, leaving three available. No other structures will be available until at least next season. Silveroak mentioned way back when a house rule system where building would be based upon the covenants building system and will presumably be using the masons skill or workshop totals to determine progress (I added workshop totals to my post above on what they are doing for the season).

In addition to actual labs, the caravan had ample writing supplies and the remains of a once mighty library.

Hakima would go for either as long as she's on the town grounds more or less. She'd also be willing to do miscellaneous set up work that isn't strictly apothecary stuff. I'm guessing setting up a lab work take two seasons? Would it be useful for experimental philosophy too?

If you take 2 seasons to set up a lab you can do experimental philosophy there. In one season you can set up an apothecary shop, which would not support the experimental philosophae.

Can an experimental philosphiae lab double as an apothecary shop? Regardless the first season would be setting up her shop. Need to start storing away herbs for the winter right?

Also I'm thinking the covenant would probably want Hakima to be a quasi-independent craftsperson if only so they don't need to feed her themselves.

If it were based on medicine I would say yes, but Philosophae is too separate and would have to be set up independently- though the spaces can certainly be conjoined.

Antonius will begins to build the wall with rego terram in his free time (ill post the specific on how he will do it later), and the rest he will probably study the muto tome during the rest or if someone want to help him, he will research a spell to create a spring for the covenant. ( i am missing something like 6 to reach 40)
He will also take a day to go Mgarr and give them a silver to thank then for their welcome, and explain them that the hospital wont be there after all)

Silveroak: Would creating a spring be Mom duration or Year duration ? I see argument for both.

Nicolae will explore the cave system (in animal form), the sea around the islands and the surrondings of Tarxian, trying to find who the primitives are.

Vincente will try to come to an agreement with the warden and the count on the behalf of Antonius (details to be posted later).

Julia will help Antonius.

MAdaleen will learn italian, possibly from a teach in mdina if the covanant wish to pay.

Would Nicolae like to borrow either the Chiming Aura or the Queer Ear that Vis is Near? They are earrings enchanted to measure an aura or detect vis. They are small enough that they are likely not to be spotted on an elusive "wild" animal.

If ordered to do so he will, but cannot guarantee they wont get lost. Maybe if attached to some kind of chain it would be easier ?

What sort of agreement are you referring to? Antonius ransom has already been paid, are you referring to something else?

A spring would be of mom duration, probably ReAq(te) to bring forth the water which is already there, or CrAq to create a spring by expending Vis

Some form of access to his land to conduct research (i.e. gather vis everywhere in the islands unimpeded). He will also offer to conduct anti-piracy mission at sea, and hopefully to develop amicable relations with the [strike]baron[/strike] count of malta

Make an intrigue+com roll for the season

I will not work on the wall this summer, there is nothing to protect after all. I will however cast Aegis of the Hearth force 30 around the covenant. For this I will need 6 pawns of rego or vim. I assume nobody will object to this.

I will develop a spell to create a spring for the covenant, and help with the irrigation of the plants/trees we plan to grow. I is going to be this :

CrAq 20 (Base 5 = 10 aura + 3 int + 7 creo + 6 aquam + 2 julia + 9 magic theory + 9 experimentation die roll = 46

(Extraordinary result: die roll: 9 story)

CrAq 20 (Base 5+ 1 touch, mom, ind, +2 size)

The spring source will be in front the eastermost temple, coming out a a hole inside a fountain,
It should be able to feed a lake not too far from the base of the hilld, which I will excavate using rego terram; <

1. I will ward myself against stone product, cause a botch can come so fast.
  2. I will remove the top soil (base 1, +1 touch, +1 part, +2 size, cast without fatigue a few times and makes multiples piles).
  3. I will create big stones block of 100 cubic pa ReTe 15 (Base 2 1 touch + 1 stone +1 part +2 size )
  4. I will move them using rego ReTe 20 (see ominous levitation of the weighty stone hoh societas p. 38, exect at range touch and +2 size)

I will need to do it around 100 each (creating a block and then moving it, probably casting ceremonialy when moving the stone to get to 40)

Here we go, creating block (Roll dice online server at roll-dice-online.com/:
8 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 6 - 3 - 1 - 7 - 3 (Avg: 4,5)
3 - 8 - 6 - 5 - 1 - 3 - 8 - 2 - 7 - 4 (Avg: 4,7)
10 - 6 - 10 - 7 - 8 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 3 - 1 (Avg: 6,6)
6 - 9 - 5 - 5 - 8 - 7 - 5 - 6 - 6 - 5 (Avg: 6,2)
8 - 1 - 7 - 7 - 1 - 10 - 10 - 7 - 3 - 5 (Avg: 5,9)
7 - 2 - 8 - 3 - 1 - 3 - 2 - 6 - 7 - 10 (Avg: 4,9)
9 - 8 - 8 - 6 - 7 - 4 - 4 - 2 - 8 - 4 (Avg: 6,0)
8 - 3 - 6 - 3 - 6 - 9 - 10 - 3 - 6 - 9 (Avg: 6,3)
9 - 1 - 4 - 8 - 5 - 5 - 2 - 2 - 4 - 5 (Avg: 4,5)
6 - 9 - 10 - 6 - 6 - 1 - 4 - 1 - 1 - 7 (Avg: 5,1)
(Total avg: 5,47)

7 possible botchs: rolling 1 dice (not in any aura 3 dices seems reasonable -2 for gold chord (i cant find the info, but i think i had gold chord 2, bronze 3 with my familiar)

10 (Avg: 10,0)

4 (Avg: 4,0)

7 (Avg: 7,0)

5 (Avg: 5,0)

3 (Avg: 3,0)

2 (Avg: 2,0)

3 (Avg: 3,0)

1 confirmed botch while creating a block of stone, gain 1 warping

Moving them 120 work hours over 3 months:

8 - 2 - 8 - 3 - 2 - 4 - 7 - 4 - 10 - 5 (Avg: 5,3)
4 - 6 - 4 - 6 - 8 - 9 - 8 - 6 - 1 - 6 (Avg: 5,8)
3 - 8 - 6 - 1 - 8 - 6 - 6 - 2 - 4 - 2 (Avg: 4,6)
7 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 4 - 10 - 1 - 3 - 2 - 7 (Avg: 4,9)
2 - 10 - 2 - 8 - 2 - 2 - 9 - 6 - 8 - 6 (Avg: 5,5)
1 - 6 - 1 - 1 - 10 - 1 - 6 - 7 - 5 - 6 (Avg: 4,4)
8 - 6 - 1 - 9 - 8 - 9 - 1 - 9 - 2 - 9 (Avg: 6,2)
8 - 6 - 4 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 7 (Avg: 6,1)
8 - 1 - 4 - 8 - 1 - 2 - 5 - 4 - 6 - 4 (Avg: 4,3)
4 - 4 - 9 - 6 - 9 - 7 - 10 - 4 - 1 - 4 (Avg: 5,8)

(Total avg: 5,29)

5 possible botch:

6 (Avg: 6,0)
2 (Avg: 2,0)
7 (Avg: 7,0)

(Total avg: 5,0)

No botch

And finally finesse roll 2 + 7+ 2 = 11 + die roll

difficulty should be around 9, 12 or 15 i think (depending on the time penalty and difficulty threshold)

Number of finesse rolls: 100

Result
8 - 10 - 6 - 10 - 6 - 1 - 7 - 6 - 2 - 10 (Avg: 6,6)
2 - 10 - 9 - 5 - 1 - 9 - 5 - 5 - 8 - 7 (Avg: 6,1)
3 - 4 - 3 - 1 - 1 - 6 - 3 - 2 - 4 - 10 (Avg: 3,7)
3 - 6 - 3 - 7 - 6 - 6 - 10 - 5 - 7 - 9 (Avg: 6,2)
3 - 2 - 1 - 4 - 3 - 8 - 9 - 7 - 6 - 8 (Avg: 5,1)
9 - 5 - 9 - 5 - 1 - 5 - 7 - 5 - 10 - 10 (Avg: 6,6)
9 - 6 - 2 - 2 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 2 - 10 - 6 (Avg: 5,8)
9 - 10 - 8 - 10 - 4 - 2 - 3 - 10 - 8 - 4 (Avg: 6,8)
8 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 2 - 9 - 7 - 9 - 7 - 2 (Avg: 6,2)
9 - 5 - 6 - 8 - 10 - 8 - 10 - 9 - 7 - 7 (Avg: 7,9)

(Total avg: 6,1)

11 possible botch: rolling 3 dices for each (gold chord dont apply i think?)

10 - 2 - 3 (Avg: 5,0)
6 - 9 - 3 (Avg: 6,0)
3 - 1 - 7 (Avg: 3,66666666667)
3 - 5 - 1 (Avg: 3,0)
7 - 3 - 7 (Avg: 5,66666666667)
2 - 10 - 7 (Avg: 6,33333333333)
8 - 1 - 7 (Avg: 5,33333333333)
7 - 6 - 9 (Avg: 7,33333333333)
7 - 3 - 8 (Avg: 6,0)
9 - 10 - 8 (Avg: 9,0)
9 - 10 - 8 (Avg: 9,0)

(Total avg: 6,0303030303)

4 finesse botches

roll for vincente:

1 com+7 - malus due to branded criminal + bonus for being a sailor/pirate ?