A Surprise Visitor (Spring 1237)

"We don't know what name he might be traveling under," Father Vilanis replies. "He has used several assumed names that we know of. He would have arrived in Arans in the past several weeks, as we have confirmation of his actions in Tolouse just about a month ago. Our sources indicate that he sent a message to Arans several months ago, and received a reply shortly before his departure. This leads us to believe that he has some sort of contact or ally here in Arans. Unfortunately, our sources were unable to give us more detail than that. My hope was that with local help, we would be able to quickly determine if anyone new has come to town in the past several weeks. Our quarry may be traveling in the open under an assumed name, or he may be in hiding. But even if he's in hiding, one of the townspeople have seen something suspicious."

Fr. Vilanis also gives Solomon a description of the man. Let me know if there's anyone you want to compare the description to and I'll let you know if they sound similar.

Well, his first thought would be Bernat since he arrived relatively recently and has obviously pissed off the local Church leadership. The Catharism would also make him consider Adan. Beyond that, he'd consider anyone else who has arrived at the covenant in the last few seasons.

He doesn't seem to match Bernat or Adan. There are a few people in the covenant who vaguely match the description, but they've all been around for a while.

There is a gentle knock at the door, it is Rilcheau, a redcap who is associated with the Mercere portion of the covenant.
"Excuse me, I don't mean to intrude, but I had heard some rumors about the nature of your business, and I'm afraid I have a number of sins that I am behind in my contrition for, sins of the type that might be useful in tracking down the heretic you seek, and so I see in this an opportunity."

Father Vilanis gives the newcomer a quick once over, then looks to Solomon with a raised eyebrow, as if to say is he one of yours?

Solomon looks up at the intruder, visibly annoyed at the Redcap, "Perhaps you were unaware, Rilcheau, but this is a private meeting. I would kindly ask you to wait outside. I'm sure we can find you a suitable member of the clergy for you to confess your sins without wasting the time of the Inquisition."

Rilchaeu tkes a deep breath and nods, withdrawing from the conversation and the room. If he would be denied the opportunity to cooperate he could still investigate on his own and attempt to impress the inquisition in this way. He had heard enough at the door before entering to begin his investigation, the number of literate people in Arans that this person could have corresponded with prior to arriving could not be that high. And one obvious choice for him to try and contact. Rilcheau went to find Adan. "Have you had anyone write you recently about matters of faith? Possibly a Cathar?"

"I maintain several correspondences," Adan replies. "All of them about matters of faith. But I haven't received word from any of my correspondents in several months. The Bishop of Tours is the worst of the lot. He still owes me responses for all three of my letters to him!"

"Why do you ask?"

"The inquisition is searching for a Cathar who appears to have done far worse than Catharism, and was apparently corresponding with someone in or around Arans before heading in this direction. Aside from those in the covenant, and no offense but if he were going to approach the covenant I would expect he would have attempted contacting you, aside from the covenant and redcap quarters I'm not certain how many literate people of Arans there are who would have a potential interest in catharism or other less savory spiritual practices. I don't suppose you would have any ideas on that subject?"

Adan sits and thinks for a while. "Hmmm, I really don't talk much with the locals in Arans. Tried to, but they seemed an unfriendly lot. Very rude and not at all concerned about their spiritual well being." He shakes his head. "I certainly don't know of any Cathars in town. But then, that's not something people are very open about."

Adan sits and thinks for a while. "Hmmm, I really don't talk much with the locals in Arans. Tried to, but they seemed an unfriendly lot. Very rude and not at all concerned about their spiritual well being." He shakes his head. "I certainly don't know of any Cathars in town. But then, that's not something people would be very open about."

"What about education? I would think anyone able to read and write might stand out, outside the covenant that is." Adan is probably not the best source for this, but he is talking to the man already, and he might know something. If not he would need to leave the covenant to continue the search.

"Well, there are educated men in the town, or at least those who know their letters," Adan replies. "Like I said, I approached a few of them when I first arrived. But there aren't that many."

Some of the more well-to-do people in town would know how to read.

But just what is the population of Arans? I've never quite figured that out. I assume it has a church and at least a priest.

"Amongst the ones you met, whom would you describe as being the least hostile?"

"Well, the local tavern owner was friendly enough," Adan replies. "Though that may have been because I was a customer."

Do we have a name for a local tavern in Arans or should I make one up?

The tavern owner is literate? Rilcheaux nods "One more thing, I would be interested in obtaining copies of the Covenant books in artes Liberales, Medicine, and philosophae. I know you are on a tight schedule, but I am willing to pay, in silver, and if someone needs a bit of extra cash in an off season, assuming Vocis permits the copying of course."

"To the extent that my other duties allow, and to the extent that the Chief Librarian allows, I should be happy to hire myself out for additional work copying books," Adan replies.

Well, it depends on what you mean by literacy. There were different levels of literacy among the population. Some could read, but not write. But at least in this era reading and writing was not strictly the bailiwick of the nobility as it had been a hundred or two years prior.

"I thank you" and with that Rilcheaux heads into Arans to the local tavern.

OOC: Reading and writing was rarely the strict province of the nobility, but the increase in literacy in this era is tied to an increase in clerks and similar posts as well as international trade, not something I would have expected of a local tavern keeper. But people can surprise you.

Rilcheaux heads into town to visit the local tavern, though more properly it's an inn, since it has a few rooms to let. The Seven Stars is a prominent building facing the town square. A sign with a sun, moon, and five stars hangs above the door. Inside is a large room with several long tables. It's still afternoon, so the place is largely empty. A boy of perhaps sixteen is carving what looks like a wooden spoon off in one corner. He stands up when Rilcheaux enters and asks, "what can I do for you?"

"That depends, do you handle the bar and food service, or is there someone you can fetch who does?"