A Surprise Visitor (Spring 1237)

"I can get you food and drink if you want it," the boy replies. "We've got small beer, light beer, and dark beer; wine, if you want it. There's soup and stew on the fire, but the roast won't be ready for another couple of hours. We also have bread and cheese. The bread was only baked yesterday."

"Hmm... quaesatoris* the wine and cheese if you would."

*quaesatoris activates "posing the silent question" on his belt buckle. with the spell he asks the boy if he has noticed anyone new around.

The boy scurries off to the kitchen to get the food. "No" is the silent answer that Richeau receives.

I did some looking and found that in 2012 Arans had a population of under 300. I can't imagine it's all that large in 1237 either. So let's revise down the size of the tavern/inn a bit. It's really just a room where locals can come to drink that has a room or two that visitors can sleep in.

When the boy comes back Rilcheaux nods in thanks, eats some of the cheese, and sips the wine "Mmm, does your father run this tavern?"

"Yes, sir, he does," the boy replies. "Are you from the castle?"

"Yes I am, in fact I'm in charge of communications there, and with all the emphasis on training new protege's, we might need to hire some temporary help. I've heard your father can read and write, do you know who else is able around here? Looks like your dad might be a bit busy."

I am digging that the Tavern has been named and is seeing some activity. Long time ago, we figured one was there, but we never made stry use of it.
The population of Arans is stll under 300 today in 2015! But the place soes see some tourism I imagine. In the Mythic 13th C, we could say the same holds true. Enough visitors and business being conducted that a tavern is indeed economicaly viable. Redcaps hang out there maybe, And perhaps a retired redcap runs and owns it.
Amd maybe Father Clemente is here drinking :smiley:

I was going to have a retired Crusader running it. But a retired Redcap makes a lot of sense too.

Retired Crusader works too. Father Clemente is a retired Crusader. And an alchaholic. And an ordained priest. And always full of good cheer.
Full of old war stories that cannot posibly be true.
[color=brown]So there I was, I tell you there had to be a half-dozen of them, seven feet tall and arms like tree trunks. They were chasing the three of us down when I suddenly stopped, grabbing Moe and Curly. I was through running. I turned around, the Saracens came at us and stopped, facing us down. I stared at the biggest one, then jumped on his face and bit his nose off! They were shocked, my buddies swarmed in from the flanks and they tried to run for it. We kicked all their asses, put them in chains, and dragged them to camp.
Say, do you got a nip of anything stronger back there? Brandy maybe? Russian Water? Scottish Mash? I know you got something yer holdin out on me.

Solomon sighs as Rilcheau leaves he room, "My apologies for the interruption. The description you've given doesn't match anyone here, and I don't get into town much so I wouldn't know if someone like that has arrived recently. I'll fetch someone to take you around town and help you root out this infernalist. We want none of their kind here."

[hr][/hr]

Anyone have a grog or non-hermetic (ie. not Redcap) companion they want to get involved?

Also, it's worth pointing out that there are two reasons Solomon didn't want Rilcheau involved:

1. Solomon wants to keep an eye on what they do in town, and he can't do that when there is a magus with them, as that would constitute scrying

2. Rilcheau has a poor reputation of Usurer at level 4. So with an ease factor of 6, basically any person in Arans will know of his reputation with a roll of anything but a 0 on a stress die. And Usurer's are pretty much universally reviled in Christian lands. So I figured no one would be willing to talk to him or give him any useful information.

Hmm, I'd forgotten about the reputation.

Reputation Roll: 1D10+4 = [10]+4 = 14; potential botch
Botch Roll: 1D10 = [10] = 10; Botch

He's taken in hook, line, and sinker.

In Town:

"Really?" the boy says. "Well, i'm sure my dad would be willing to make some extra money. He's even taught me some letters, though I can't say as I could properly read yet."

"Who else can read and write?" he thinks for a moment. "Well, Father Clemente, that's for sure. And I bet Senor Ferrari can, he's the richest man in the village. Dad doesn't like him, but he says he's clever. Maybe Julius the Glassblower can. Folks say he used to live in Barcelona, but came here because he didn't like the city. Might be some others what can read a bit and sign their names. Not something that ever really comes up in conversation."

At the Castle:

"Think nothing of it," Father Vilanis replies. "And thank you for your cooperation. I shall try and make my interference in your lives as minimal as possible. However, I can make no promises where the Adversary is concerned. If he has taken root in Arans, I shall spare no effort to dig him out."

Anyone want to poke around town with an Inquisitor?

"Well, Quaesitoris, I will swing by later, perhaps he will be in then."

• posing unawsked question: Where does Ferrari live?

With that he will make his exit and begin to look for Senor Ferrari and his household.

From Reputations p.19 "They don't determine how people react to characters they have heard of, as that depends on what they think of what they have heard, nor do they necessecarilly aid in the identification of the characters. Indeed in some cases a high Reputation may make it difficult for a character to convince people he is who he says he is."
As long as Rilcheaux doesn't use his name the reputation has no effect, and if it does the reaction is not determined by the degree of infamy. Additionally with a presence of 5 he tends to make a great first impression.

"My name's Juan," the boy replies. "Not Kwestoris. But I'll tell my dad you were looking for him."

Silently Rilcheaux will get the answer that Ferrari has the big house across the village square. He also has a big house about two or three miles outside of the village.

Rilcheaux smiles "It is nice to meet you Juan, call me Rick. That is just something I say to myself sometimes when I am thinking."

With that Rilcheaux finishes his food and heads toward Ferrari's house, looking around for servants, neighbors, or anyone else who might be aware of the goings on of the building.

Back at the castle, a servant comes in and whispers a report to Solomon. Father Vilanis steps aside and gives the magus some privacy.

"We've checked around the castle and found someone knowledgeable and willing to help the inquisitor," the servant reports nervously. "But there's a catch. It's that moor Bashir. Do you want me to tell him to come in, or should I tell him he's not needed?"

Seeing no takers for PoB's request for a grog/companion, I looked through all of the grogs and companions on the wiki. Most of them would be in the Balearic Islands. Of the few listed that would actually be at Arans, it was Bashir who had Area Knowledge: Arans (people). He's clearly the companion/grog with the best knowledge of the village.

I also figure that with his major compassionate Flaw, he's been tending to the medical needs of the village in his off time, which might temper his bad reputation some, at least there. It's up to Solomon whether he suggests that the inquisitor rely on the help of a moor.

If there is nobody around in the way of street vendors, neighbors, or anyone else out in the neighborhood that Rilcheaux can question he will walk up and knock on the door or ring the bell.

There's still a chill in the air, and it seems like any servants Ferrari has are indoors right now. However, there are a few villagers in the square. Two are apparently talking about how promising the spring lettuce is looking, while another carries a bag of what appears to be fresh wool and appears to be heading somewhere with a purpose. There is also the clang of a blacksmith's hammer can be heard from the man's shop on the far side of the village green. He's clearly at work, and his shop is open to the street on one side.

Richeaux could stop any of the townsfolk or just knock on Ferrari's door.

Rilcheaux walks by the two people discussing cabbage and feigns a coughing fit, throwing in a "quaesitoris" for each of them

PTUQ:have you seen anyone new in or around the large house where Ferrari lives?

Neither of the villagers has seen anyone new in Ferrari's place.

Rilcheaux walks up to the door and knocks.