A Vim spell to send the spell back to the caster?

I still don't see why Rego Vim can't be used to defend against a spell. Sure the spell "Supressing the Wizard's Handiwork" says that particular spell won't work on D.Mom spells. It doesn't say why. Nothing in the guidelines or magic rules in general support this. It could have been designed in the order for this very use with the intention of never using against a spell cast at you - since this would require fast-casting.

I'm cool with such a ReVi effect needing to specify, like Unravelling needs for Pe Vi spells, a single Form (or hedge magic type) which it works against.

MuVI also needs this specified, altough the guidelines are vague the spell examples lile Wizard's Reach says this. Such a spell designed to change the target of the spell. Base effect alters a spell one magnitude higher than MuVi guideline, and with +2 mag for Voice the finished spell would be like this:

ArM5 p159

But nothing in ReVi guidelines prevents this spell IMHO:

HoH:Soc p129

The spells are almost of equal difficulty to use, so magi should use the Technique they are better at.
*Muto spells need to Penetrate target spell. Also they need to be one magnitude higher, this means 5 levels. But the Muto spell may hit the caster!
*Rego spells don't need to Penetrate, and really only needs to be of higher level, this means only 1 level higher will cut it. But the spell fails to affect anyone.

Or you could always just Unravel it...

For the record (YMMV, so it may be fine in your saga), you know that, by RAW, this is impossible under the rule for focus? It exists, but it is a special virtue, called Diedne Magic :wink:

These are pretty major differences though, neh?

Fast Cast Unravelling, my choice.

Actually...yes. About Penetration though. By itself the 4 levels of difference isn't much. But combined with Penetration it is a lot!
The fast answer is that Muto is more difficult, but you get to hit the caster. Rego is easier.

In the end, yes mine as well. The main reason is: The Unraveling the Fabric of... spell is useful as both defence against such a spell cast on you or sodales, as well as removing such an effect, should it be of non-Monentary duration. So you only need one spell. And it's easier.

And this is where spell mastery really wins! Master for Fast-Cast and Unraveling, and the defensive spell is now more effective by having a higher 'effective level' and can thus work against higher spell levels. If you really specialize then consider adding Quick Casting for a better chance of timing it correctly. And Imperturbable for better Concentration rolls. Lab Mastery also, for inventing other versions.
This is really a good spell for Mastery. Some spells don't really have many good uses for most mastery options. For some I can't even think of one useful one.

I have some plans for my Pralician now...

No, I mean a focus ("counterspelling" here), used to boost his spontaneous spell casting, not a focus in spontaneous.

Sorry, I was unclear.