Adelbert, a "Magi of Hermes" look at intellego and Astrology

One season to learn Cutting the Cords (HoH: TL p. 75) from lab noes. this isn't something that Adelbert would choose to learn for his own purposes but as a Quaesitor of mature age his house requests that he learn it.

It is a general spell he learns it at level 35, Not the highest level he can learn but more magnitudes mean more vis and therefore more botch dice.

Seems reasonably at a glance.
It would add to dodge rolls when in flight I think?

I would think that it would. I'll make it explicit.

i also added in the sigil.

During the season that Adelbert learns Cutting the Cord. he will also design an Armillary sphere and supervise its construction. I think it likely that the Magoi of the Star have example spheres and contacts with skilled craftsman. The Int+ astrology roll of twelve is doable for him.

Acceptable.

The next season is spent opening the armillary sphere for enchantment and the season after that attuning it as a talisman.

I imagine the sphere to be primarily of silver and of medium size. This gives the silver sphere a capacity of18, the piece of the compound item with the greatest capacity. I also see many different materials worked in to the symbols for the planets and the hours and so on. Adelbert designed it too function as his talisman so the components reflect what he thinks he might ever want an attunement and are limited by his magic theory score. In addition to silver the sphere incorporates
Hazel
Amber
Jade
Red Coral
Lead
Iron
Opal
Rock Crystal
Magnetite and
Agate and
Clear glass
(12 components total 9 magic theory +1 specialization +2 puissant magic theory)
Is piling on the maximum possible number of components acceptable to everyone? It's what I do but others may find it tasteless. Is it inappropriate to have adornment incorporated into an armillary sphere?
Adelbert spends one season enchanting know the heavens and one season enchanting track the heavens both from TMRE p 53.

The two attuments that he opens are +3 divination (hazel)and +5 clairvoyance (rock crystal). I see divination spells being ones that grant the caster information directly and clairvoyance spells as providing a supernatural ability to sense something more or less lining up with sensory target spells.

That should complete 15 years. I'll wait for feedback on the talisman, then do some aging rolls and write up the character sheet.

His aging modifiers are -4 for his ritual, -2 or his living conditions, and -3 for his bronze cord
from ages 75 -80 his rolls are at -1 he gets four years of apparent aging.
from ages 81 to 90 his rolls are even, but I think a bad roll may be enough to get him to hire a physician.

He didn't make a bad roll, he got another seven years of apparent age in the last ten years of this period but with his potion weakening he must now look as old or older than lots of mages much senior to him. This might not be all bad in that some other magi might give him more leeway if they believe him to be older. His apparent age is now 66. He wants to recreate his longevity ritual but he wants to give himself the best possible ritual so he doesn't have to repeat it costing him more time and vis in a few years. He has been looking for an apprentice when time allows for a few years at this point, in hopes of getting a larger lab bonus and perhaps another decade out of his ritual.

I rolled a twilight comprehension roll for a warping score of 6 and got that Adelbert comprehended a twilight and was out for a moon. I'll put this into the ten years of study assume that he got increased knowledge and then adventure experience as well for that season or some such and that it all rolls into the 30 xp per year.

I adjusted the personality traits but I think that his reputations will be unchanged. He is better with his code of hermes but not yet good enough to counteract his tarnished image.

With regard to adding in his attunements to his casting totals I decided that Summoning the distqnt image and eye of the Sage counted as clairvoyance because they granted a vision of something (this breaks with my earlier idea of clairvoyance = magical sense). I decided that Engraving the Whole of Experience counted as neither divination nor as clairvoyance despite it being an intellego spell.

I also found out thanks to an old pm that I finally got around to reading that the dialect in Tyrol is not a form of Italian.

Next 15 year period is (unless someone cares to convince me otherwise) going to involve:

getting the code of Hermes up to 5

getting a level in teaching,

training an apprentice,

inventing a new longevity ritual,

learning some of Fencil's rituals- The house needs to keep some folks knowledgeable about them so they are available when they are needed. I see this as a sort of annoyance that gets pushed upon his shoulders.

Learning the crossbow, his children have all passed on by the end of this period and his grandchildren if they survive at all are well into their retirement. I see him collecting his enchanted crossbow from a grandchild and then going to get trained in its use by a great grandson who is a grizzled veteran grog at castra solis. He does this to connect with the memories of his wife and children who all shit crossbow. His magical ability to refresh memories makes his relationship with his departed family a rather different thing.

This work inspires him to enchant shriek of the impending shafts into the familiar bond

What he isn't going to do is undergo another initiation at this point. The next step, the degree of Mercury teaches a magical focus in his birth house. He hasn't gotten a lot of utility out of a magical potency in the house. I don't see him taking time away from his other goals to pursue this one at this point in his life. That doesn't mean that he is ignoring the cult, just that he isn't at the moment interested in the deeper mysteries (divination the next virtue taught seems like a pretty small prize as well for a character with a 30+ intellego score).

nine years worth of xp (270)

Artes liberales to 9 +1 xp
Corpus to 10
Creo to 10
Rego to 10
terram to 8
intellego 28 +1 xp
call for Justice 2
Will of Alathea 2
bows (crossbow) 3
code of Hermes to 5
teaching 1
remaing experience spent in magic theory 9 +27xp

and 12 years for Claritas 120 xp

guile 2
intriuge to 4
magic theory to 6
Infernal lore 1
faerie lore 1
magic lore to 2

I'll put down ten seasons with the apprentice to start leaving 14 for other projects.

A longevity ritual is in the works so I'll get that out of the way
Creo 10
Corpus 10
Magic theory 11
intelligence 2
Aura 3
Familiar 7
apprentice 5
lab horoscope + 5 he'll take a chance.. rolled an 8 he's ok
overtime for +3
total 56
that gives a +12 bonus to aging rolls

I've already spoiled Shreik of the impending shafts in the familiar bond for Clairitas so I'll include that too. the core spell would be level 20 when adjusted for range touch. That's well within his abilities I suppose I should make it duration concentration item maintains instead to allow her to turn it off if she needs to hear better. his lab total is 68 so Adelbert cam make it level 34. Let's add a terram requisite to detect stone or metal weapons as well and six levels for twelve points of penetration on the off chance that the weapon itself has some low magic resistance and can't be heard. The three final levels can activate it three times per day

I choose only wood and metal rather than all plant or terram material. The initial spell only lists wood and I think that the idea of so many false positives getting literally shrieked at the poor bird would drive her batty.

There is danger since it makes the sphere easier to break. (Just destroy a gem instead of the whole sphere.) Other than that why not? Plus its not like the components are things like: "Rock Crystal Dagger", so you could still stack more bonuses in.

Hum... Since InTe would be at least base 4 (base 2, +2 for metal), shouldn't you use it as your base rather than InHe?
As it is, your spell does more, yet is of a lower level than what such a spell would be.

I checked that out earlier thinking as you did. I found this:

The base is the same between the two forms (base 2) so there is no level difference.

One season for this

I think it is fair to include clothes and jewelry without a requisite. Just look at the very similar leap of homecoming. But what about Claritas if she is sitting on Adelbert's shoulder does he need an animal requisite for her? Is that even enough? Is limiting the effect to the equivalent of a size +1 person and their possessions too generous?

That's debated

Yes.

No. I'd require T: Group, because 2 individuals are being moved.

I think so, yes.
That said, we've had people teleport with a fox in their arms before, which prompted some discussion about R: Personal and T: Individual

It might be but I think that unless you have a pretty strong argument I'll go with Seven League Stride which says Prefactus of Bonisafus' sigil expresses itself as making him look especially dignified when he arrives, don't see this as compatible with naked.. [strike]Also the enchanted effect The Longest Stride Made Short from transforming Mythic Europe specifies one person, his clothes and his equipment. That's a device so it can't really use casting requisites[/strike]
OK reading further in Transforming Mythic Europe I see that there is a discussion on page 107 that says casting requisites are possible if you want such travel to be difficult in your saga but for the purposes Transforming Mythic Europe they didn't use them.

OK that's compatible with the messenger's shortcut from Transforming mythic Europe p108.

Here's a more detailed version

I wanted to keep it low level so that he could cast it even if wounded, silent, or in powerful divine auras.

Here's an effect for the Talisman because he doesn't want to be concentrating on it himself. It takes him one season

The effect I had designed was more or less the same as Mercury's Winged Sandals so I took the details from that .
He is going to open up the attunement to Astrological time.

One season to invent stone tell of the mind that sits

One season to learn both words with the flickering flame and eyes of the flame from lab notes unless he messes up his lab horoscope... which he doesn't.

One season to learn all four Piercing the [form] Veil spells from notes

Exactly, debated.

I know that we currently enforce casting requisites for the Leap of Homecomming, and that in other sagas we did not.

Two seasons to do a version of maintain the demanding spell into his talisman
rego 10
Vim 16
Theory 12
Intelligence 2
Aura 3
Familiar 7
Apprentice 5
lab horoscope 4 (botch chance to 1.9%, did not botch)
bonus for talisman 5
rego and vim effects already in talisman 3
and despite having 12 components there are no relevant shape and material bonuses in the talisman.
total of 64 so level 42

I stole the text from Ranulf as it is the same effect at a lower level.

for an attunement I'll choose +3 for Animals