Ahmed - a Young Man of Many Talents

Ahmed

Ahmed was orphaned when he was 10, his parents killed in an attack by slavers. Following this, he hid in a building, too scared to move. Then the spirit of his mother came to him and lead him away to safety. She led him through the streets of the town, avoiding bands of slavers, and ultimately to the road inland that went to Mdina (or to any other appropriate town for story purposes). She then told Ahmed to follow that road until he came to the walled city. He did as she said, and since then, he's had to make do on his own, doing odd jobs, sleeping in the street, and even begging. But still he occasionally sees things that shouldn't be there, which is somewhat disturbing. He's even gotten a bit of a reputation as 'the boy who sees ghosts.'

Size: 0

CHARACTERISTICS
Int +2
Per +1
Str +1
Sta +1
Pre +0
Com +0
Dex +1
Qik +0

VIRTUES
Arcane Lore*
Educated*
Second Sight

• He won't have any of these skills to start, but I wanted to allow him to buy them later. I'm not sure if that's necessary. But I wanted to be conservative at the start. If I don't need to take them, I'll pick two new Virtues.

FLAWS
Hatred of slavers
Small Frame
Uninspirational

ABILITIES
Arabic (extensive vocabulary) 5 (0)
Athletics (running) 2 (15)
Awareness (alertness) 2 (15)
Brawl (dodge) 2 (15)
Charm (looking innocent) 1 (5)
Etiquette (town folk) 1 (5)
Folk Ken (town folk) 2 (15)
Guile (lying to authority) 1 (5)
Italian (conversational) 3 (30)
Maltese (conversational) 3 (30)
Second Sight (seeing ghosts) 3 (25)
Stealth (sneaking) 2 (15)
Survival (towns and cities) 2 (15)
Swim 1 (staying afloat) (5)

What I would like is for Ahmed to become Talus's man Friday - valet, non-Gifted lab assistant, and the like.

As for how to get him into the story, I was thinking that Talus (or more likely one of the locals who told Talus) heard of a boy who supposedly sees ghosts. Talus (and someone to interpret) could go to Mdina (or whichever town fits the story best) to look for him. While there, they might find that he's in a bit of trouble and needs some help.

Educated and Arcane lore are only necessary if you want to start with those abilities. In fact each gives you 50 point from within those abilities, so if you do not want to start with those abilities you should pick different virtues.
I'm also uncertain where you get hatred of slavers. Is this supposed to be oversensitive?

His parents were killed in a slaver raid.

I mean in terms of defined flaws...

p. 54 of the Core Rules. Hatred. Major or minor personality Flaw.

botched that roll...

Educated and arcane lore should still be replaced.

Ahmed

Ahmed was orphaned when he was 10, his parents killed in an attack by slavers. Following this, he hid in a building, too scared to move. Then the spirit of his mother came to him and lead him away to safety. She led him through the streets of the town, avoiding bands of slavers, and ultimately to the road inland that went to Mdina (or to any other appropriate town for story purposes). She then told Ahmed to follow that road until he came to the walled city. He did as she said, and since then, he's had to make do on his own, doing odd jobs, sleeping in the street, and even begging. But still he occasionally sees things that shouldn't be there, which is somewhat disturbing. He's even gotten a bit of a reputation as 'the boy who sees ghosts.'

CHARACTERISTICS
Int +2
Per +1
Str +1
Sta +1
Pre +0
Com +0
Dex +1
Qik +0

VIRTUES
Faerie Blood: Satyr
Second Sight
Venus' Blessing

FLAWS
Hatred of Slavers
Raised in the Gutter
Small Frame

ABILITIES
Brawl (dodge) 2 (15)

I added Venus' Blessing and Faerie Blood: Satyr (in part to explain the Second Sight, and in part to explain the Venus' Blessing).
I also swapped Uninspirational for Raised in the Gutter, since I didn't see Venus' Blessing and Uninspirational as being compatible.

This looks good- The character can obviously be introduced as part of the labor which cycles through, the issue would be what will draw the attention of Talus...

one point- I was under the impression that you wanted him to be immune to warping from the aura from the second sight, but as you rewrote it, the virtue is a faerie rather than magical virtue, which means he would not be unaffected...

D'oh! I wasn't thinking. Yea, I'd better ditch the Faerie Blood to make the Second Sight magical in nature. I'd say give him Jann blood, but all they've written up are Faerie Jinn, not Magical Jinn. I'd say give him Unaffected by the Gift, if that weren't too self-serving.

How about something simple like Mild Aging. We can say that it's a byproduct of his magical blood. (And maybe he does have a magical Jann as an ancestor...)

or you could go with magical blood...
ROP:M p 46, gives you a -1 bonus on aging rolls, and a minor physical advantage depending on the source:
animal- an unnatural feature (wings, gills, etc) that gives +3 to related activities or allowing to perform actuons humans normally cannot (such as fly)
human: may increase one characteristic by +1, but not above +3- usually strength, stamina, or presence
magic spirit- gains a supernatural ability (such as second sight) though you gain an obviously supernatural appearance when doing so
thing- has a lesser power associated with an object or thing, appearance changes in a way that is appropriate to the power.

mild aging or unaffected by the gift are both good as well.

[size=150]Ahmed[/size]

CHARACTERISTICS
Int +2
Per +1
Str +1
Sta +1
Pre +0
Com +0
Dex +1
Qik +0

VIRTUES
Second Sight
Unaffected by the Gift
Venus' Blessing

FLAWS
Hatred of Slavers
Raised in the Gutter
Small Frame

ABILITIES
Brawl (dodge) 2 (15)

I gave him Unaffected by the Gift. That could give one way for him to stand out from the crowd. Talus could be interviewing for a personal servant from a group of new grogs and notice that Ahmed doesn't react to him poorly.

given the obvious inroads I will waive the introduction story for this grog.