Alice's Maintained Spells

To cast and track the maintenance of Alice's spells.

Each spontaneous spell will be described here, as well as the casting totals and rolls.

Here is an up-to-date list of the spells Alice has active. This post will be edited later to keep it up to date. The dice rolls are located here:

https://rolz.org/dr/log?room=71113493

Here are the spells:

In preparation for this fortnight of casting at Durenmar, Alice is going to start by spontaneously casting a Personal/Concentration version of The Tireless Flight (HoH:TL p.102) (Base 10, +1 Concentration = ReCo 15). She'll maintain and suspend (just on for the couple hours of casting) this as needed through the fortnight, giving her 2 weeks toward a Warping Point.

1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Rego 8 + Corpus 0 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 19
(19+3)/2=11, so 1 more Fatigue to reach ReCo 15.

As a note for all preparations at Durenmar, now without Fatigue penalties Alice has no chance of failing nor even losing Fatigue to Unraveling the Threads of Vim, Suppressing the Wizard's Handiwork, nor Sustaining the Demanding Spell. When she casts Sustaining the Demanding Spell she has no chance of failing the Concentration roll (need a 6) unless she botches it.

Concentration Sta 2 + Concentration 2+2+1 = 7.
7+2x5=17.

That's a little under 15 minutes to cast and rest.

Silk rope #1:

Doublet of Impenetrable Silk at Concentration (MuAn 10)
1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Mu 5 + An 5 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 21.
21+2=23, which is enough.
Concentration: Sta 2 + Concentration 2+2+1 = 7 v. 6.
7+4=11.
Rest for the remainder of 5 minutes.

Supple Iron and Rigid Rope at Concentration (MuTe(An) 5)
1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Mu 5 + An/Te 0 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 16.
16+3=19, which is enough.
7+0=7 (no botch).

The Unseen Porter without the height limit (adding +1 magnitude) (ReTe(An) 15) (Note: If ReAn only, +5.)
1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Re 8 + An/Te 0 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 19.
19+2=21, so 1 more Fatigue to reach ReTe(An) 15 or ReAn 15.
7+2x10=27.
Rest for the remainder of 15 minutes.

Object of Increased Size at Concentration but to make it smaller, plus an extra magnitude for even smaller (MuTe(An) 15). (Note: If MuAn only, +5.)
1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Mu 5 + An/Te 0 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 16.
16+8=24, so 1 more Fatigue to reach MuTe(An) 15 or MuAn 15.
7+6=13.

Where did you get silk rope in Germany? No one makes or sell that, as silk is quite expensive and rare.

How long is the rope?

Assuming you get your silk rope, at the end of an hour of spellcasting you have a rope that:

• Is harder to cut (maintained for Moon duration)
  • Is stiff (maintained for a Moon duration)
  • Levitates and can be moved within Voice with the strength of a +5 person (maintained for a Moon)
  • Is shrunk to 1/8th its volume and weight (maintained for a Moon)

Philosophical question: When there are many active effects on a single target, how do you target a specific one without having a magical sense to distinguish them?

OK. I can create it using CrAn or I can do Herbam. I think the CrAn method is probably better. I'll look into it. Edit: CrAn base 5, + 1 Touch, +2 Group for CrAn 20 would do it.

When done, the stiff part will be suppressed to make storage easier, and the levitation part will be suppressed so it doesn't interfere with movement when it's carried.

Only 1/8 the volume? :frowning: Usually shrinking is easier than growing, and this has an extra magnitude beyond the base that grows by a factor of 2 (8 for volume). I would think that would at least be 4 (64 for volume).

As for the philosophical question, how do you concentrate on reading from or writing on or folding a sheet of paper with a pen in your hand and a paper with text sitting before you? Edit: Or, now that I've thought of it, the same way you know what you're casting Maintaining the Demanding Spell on in the first place, which is certainly much simpler than casting MuVi on your own spell by default.

Actually, a stiff roll of rope approximately 4" in diameter is probably easier to handle than a limp one. Particularly if you have several in the same pouch (they risk getting entangled).

I missed the extra magnitude. It would indeed be 1/64th.

So magi have an extra sense that lets them "feel" the presence of spells and distinguish between them? If you put your hand in a jar filled with colored pencils, how do you know you are taking the blue instead of the red?

Most of the time, when you cast Maintaining the Demanding Spell there is only a single valid target -- a single spell that has just been cast. Which, on top of that, you are already concentrating on to maintain it -- so you have an active link to the spell. In this case, however, there are multiple spells active on a single object, and these are spells that you are not concentrating on. So, two or more weeks from now, how can you tell which maintaining spell is which? These are multiple castings of the same spell, after all.

I'm not trying to block it, just working through the implications. We could simply handwave the whole thing, but this will eventually crop up at a later point. So I am trying to get a better feel on how we, as a troupe, want to handle this. Because the way you use this also delimitates how unfriendly magi can use it.

Very good point. Just make sure it's coiled ahead of time.

Presumably the same way you might concentrate on a single song you've learned even though you are not currently concentrating on any of them and you memorized them all a while ago. How do you identify which song to concentrate on? I don't really have an answer to either. I think I need to know a lot more neuroscience than I do, which isn't much.

I'm not sure there there are many implications. Note that you can already target a non-existent spell you are going to cast in the near-future. So there has to be some sort of an awareness of your own spells to which you are somehow attached. Now, if you cast a spell not connected to your own concentration, there are no implications because all this is stuff your mind is still able to manipulate.

If you want, I can drop a spell or two to get an InVi spell.

Getting a InVi spell would probably be best. Hermetic Projects has an interesting one called See the Light of Magic (p.83). I'd say that limiting a detection spell to your own spells would be 2 magnitudes easier (this seems to be what ReVi does), so Base 3 Detect any spell that you have cast.

Then I should be able to do this:
InVi 20
R: Personal, D: Concentration, T: Touch
Base 3, +0 Personal, +1 Concentration, +1 Touch, +3 details (to match Sight of the Sigil (HoH:TL p.75))

Rise of the Feathery Body and Unseen Arm I could quickly do away with. That provides 15 levels. I like The Call to Slumber and Aegis of the Hearth, but something in there could give. Too bad I can't have a level-15 Aegis of the Hearth.

Edit: Found five levels. I can lower Unraveling the Threads of Vim by 5 levels. It's mostly used for Suppressing the Wizard's Handiwork and is 10 levels higher than needed for that. That would still leave a 58% chance of working on Sustaining the Demanding Spell when desired. She'll have to invent higher levels in the future anyway. This let's her keep both The Call to Slumber and Aegis of the Hearth. I'll move the 5 freed-up experience to Intellego; that an Perdo are the two simple, obvious spots.

Is this good? I don't want to edit without confirmation.

Based on the above discussion...

Create a 50-foot silk rope. (CrAn 25) (CrAn base 5, + 1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +2 Group)
1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Cr 5 + An 5 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 21.
21+8=29, so 3 more Fatigue to reach CrAn 25.
7+8=15.
Rest for the remainder of 1 hour 45 minutes.

Then the rest of this quoted from above.

That lands in the 2-3 hour region, especially with the last 15 minutes of rest being heading to bed, so that's the first full evening of casting.

Onto day 2 of casting:

5 small stones / big pebbles

1st:

Lamp Without Flame (CrIg 10)
1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Cr 5 + Ig 0 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 16.
16+3=19, so 1 more Fatigue.
7+3=10.

Unseen Arm (ReTe 5)
1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Re 8 + Te 0 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 19.
19+9=28.
7+4=11.

2nd:

16+3=19, so 1 more Fatigue.
7+4=11.

Unseen Arm (ReTe 5)
19+5=24.
7+6=13.

3rd:

16+6=22.
7+0=7.

Unseen Arm (ReTe 5)
19+7=26.
7+3=10.

4th:

16+7=23.
7+8=15.

Unseen Arm (ReTe 5)
19+8=27.
7+9=16.

5th:

16+4=20.
7+0=7.

Unseen Arm (ReTe 5)
19+2x7=33.
Botch! (Single botch.)

So, what happens when you botch the Concentration roll to when you're casting Maintaining the Demanding Spell on another of your spells? I've assumed this is a stress roll even in calm circumstances. Or, what happens in this case?

Botch result would vary depending on the circumstances of the Concentration roll. In this case, Alice was concentrating on the Unseen Arm spell. Her Concentration botch sent the pebble flying out of the window right before her concentration failed on Unseen Arm, so the pebble dropped outside of the tower. It took her half an hour to get down, retrieve it and come back to her room. (Note that another possible result, should this reoccur, could be the loss of a fatigue level from the strain.)

Since she is casting those spells at the end of long days of copying texts, she probably ought to start off with a long-term fatigue level, thus making her recovery slower...

(And before you say that she will do her casting the morning instead, the 2 hours she spends casting and concentrating ought to give her a long-term fatigue level as well, which would negatively impact her copying. :smiling_imp:)

OK, I'll adjust in future ones.

Seriously? Casting two spells in back-to-back rounds, only one of which is Fatiguing, and then resting for 5-15 minutes before doing it again will cause long-term Fatigue? The concentration is for only the one round from the casting of the first to the casting of the second, and of low enough difficulty that she would succeed on a roll of -1 if that were possible. So, since the stress is greater, we should expect to lose a Long-Term Fatigue level every two rounds of magical combat (or possibly faster with Fast Casting or Multiple Casting) in addition to whatever Fatigue loss we get from the spell rolls, right?

You're right. I was remembering the long list of spells, and didn't realize you were just basically casting something like 4 to 8 spells per evening. Forget that and my apologies!

That other stone can just lose the spell eventually. Four stones will suffice for now. On to day 3 now that I'm not well ahead of everyone:

The Tireless Flight at D: Concentration, R: Personal, not Mutantum (ReCo 15)
1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Re 8 + Co 0 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 19.
19+7=26, so 1 more Fatigue.
7+5=12.
Rest for the remainder of 45 minutes.
She will keep this running for the preparation period, suppressing it or not as needed. So this spell will contribute toward a Warping Point.

The Wizard's Mount for a running hound (rache) (no +1 size), D: Concentration (CrAn 25)
1 Fatigue: Sta 2 + Cr 5 + An 5 + Aura 7 + loud 1 + gestures 1 = 21.
21+5=26, so 3 more Fatigue.
7+20=27.
Mastering the Unruly Beast (ReAn 25 / +15) automatically with Aura/loud/gestures/simple die
7+0=7.

Now she has a pet rache that doesn't react to her Gift and is obedient.

Rest for the remainder of the night.

Wait. You a spontaneously casting a level 25 spell with only scores of 5 in the Technique and Form?

Looking at your numbers, it looks to me like you are not applying the "/2" to your casting roll for a fatiguing spontaneous spell. Seems to me it should be:

(21+5)/2=13, so 8 more Fatigue levels needed

I see nothing in the virtue's description that states you do not have to divide your total, as normal. Even Diedne Magic doesn't forego the division, so I see no reason why LLSM would.

I did divide by 2. 26/2=13. So I have a level-13 spell having spent 1 Fatigue. 1 more Fatigue is required for level 18, which still isn't high enough. 1 more is required for level 23, which still isn't high enough. 1 more is required for level 28, which is now high enough. Thats 3 more Fatigue, which is what I wrote.

Stated differently, the level 13 I rolled missed the targeted 25 by 12. The Virtue states that I spend 1 Fatigue for each 5 of those missed levels. 12/5=2.4, rounds up to 3 Fatigue.

You are right and I apparently don't know how to count anymore! DOH! :clown_face: