All is well - adventur, looking for feedback

I have made an adventure about a magic eel that lives in the well of a village. I would love to get some feedback on it and perhaps even some people who would consider running it.

The link is to a pdf of the adventure

8 Likes

Congratulations on writing an adventure! Thats not easy.

You might consider changing the sharing settings for the folder so that people following the link have access. I tried, but do not have permission.

4 Likes

Sorry, I thought it was wade so people could access it. But alas. Hopefully, it should be working now. Thank you for letting me know.

2 Likes

Yes it works now! Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Managed to open it in Google Drive, so the link is apparently working currently. I like the adventure idea and the premise of the adventure, after skimming the text through.
Gotta give it a more throughout read, to give the actual feedback to you. Although, I'm already interested and excited...

2 Likes

Thank you, looking forward to hearing your thoughts =)

2 Likes

a small note: Parma Magica is a skill that you can use if you have the gift.Magical creatures can't have it. What they have instead is Magic Might, which grants them MR equal to their might.
Also, if the villagers have some way to get MR, this should be a very big deal for the Order.

Thanks for sharing this! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing that out, I updated the adventure and will upload a new PDF

2 Likes

This is my two cents on the adventure. I try to give feedback without spoiling the adventure to people who might end up playing this. Therefore, some certain wordings have been chosen.

I love the style and the flow of the adventure. I love how freely it flows with no pressure. It's definitely not a grand scheme or an action piece. Quite the opposite. It is a small odd piece with a place, people, and the worshipped god-like creature in the background.

As I see it, this adventure can be played, without the characters ever seeing (or getting acquainted with) the worshipped creature. I firmly believe, that this can work out interestingly, even if the characters don't find out the worshipping.

Like an odd village with weirdly acting people, that may or may not have something hidden/mysterious going on. After all, people are strange when you are a stranger. And people tend to act very strangely to people that they find strange folk. And a group of mages is a group of weird people. So, this can end-up just being one of "those villages". And in itself, that can be an interesting experience, too.

And I love how the adventure is laid out. There are things that can happen and much of it is more or less in the hands of character action. I also love how subtle the whole thing is. And I especially love how this can roll out as a totally cool and awesome detective mystery story. At least, there are seeds for that kind of involvement. And there can be much-done roleplaying-wise, even though there isn't much happening action-wise, per se.

So, yes. I liked it. A lot.

3 Likes

Really interesting situation, thank you!

If I were to run this, I'd want to think about why the status quo is upset and add some objectives for people to pursue. Why does something need to happen right now?

For instance, the village may well have a Magic aura of 1 or 2, due the eel. The PCs could be there to investigate why, and see if they can harvest some vis from the area. The PCs could also have heard the rumours of the villagers' good health and want to investigate. (If there is an ongoing vis source, perhaps it gives a benefit to longevity potions brewed with it.)

You may also want to give the villagers some objectives that they want, and will ask the PCs for help. Maybe the local priest is denouncing the villagers as being in league with the devil, based on their unnatural health; the PCs have a reputation for standing up to the church. Maybe a quack doctor has paid off the local lord and is taking well water to sell as a healing potion. Perhaps the eel is becoming ill and the villagers want someone to help. And there are some in the village who don't want any outsiders interfering, and will do their best to make the PCs leave.

3 Likes

Thank you for those kind words. And you have really found the essence of the adventure I have to say. I try and make it as malleable as possible so that a GM can take it and make it fit almost wherever they need it to. If it is something they need as a one of distraction while the GM is still preparing stuff. Or if they feel it would fit within the narrative of their saga.

2 Likes

Regarding a possible objective for the villagers. If you think it is needed you could easily have their objective be to try and get rid of any stranger that overstays their welcome, aka stas more than one or two nights or is asking a lot of questions. I try to leave stuff like that out tho to try and give the GM room to shape and fit the adventure to their needs.

Regarding a reason to investigate, I tried to cover that in the setup part. And as the adventure is sort of greed towards newer magi or grogs, if nothing else they can simply be told to go investigate by their elders/magi. But I do like the rumors aspect, and I recommend trying to play it out over a few sessions with small hints or info about it passed along with some major info needed for the current adventure.

Having the church come after the village definitely sounds lie something the villagers would need help with. And a great way to gain their trust.

I purposely left the church out of the adventure simply because they are a force in their own right. And if the players have a pesky priest or bishop messing with them the GM can easily add it into the adventure so it fits better with their saga.

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it and I totally love the idea of a priest showing up wanting to kill all the heretics. =)

4 Likes