All roads lead to Africa (Fall 1244)

"No, not unanimous in our interests, but the same as a guild of blacksmiths might be said to be unanimous in their interest in blacksmithing, ours is a summoning order. I must say it seems... inefficient to try and teach all magics in one system, but that may just be a matter of how we have learned. You say you have martial interests, what nobleman do you serve?"

Silk prices are better than in Andora, or even Barcelona, Gold is the standard of exchange here, but you notice that silver exchanges at a lower price than you would expect. Armor and weaponry are not for sale in the market, and the only chess board you find, while extremely nice is also extremely expensive. Possibly due to it being made entirely from marble.

“One of the rules that our order must abide by is to not act as court wizards, and to not get involved in mundane politics…at least, no more than it absolutely necessary. Andorra, the Covenant I live and service, acts as our own noblemen. We serve no queen or king, and are free to live as we will.”

She’ll take a few bolts of the silk, enough to make a couple of nice dresses for herself, a decent outfit for her husband, and to have Charles make nice robes/tunics/what have you for the rest of the covenant. (One, it’s a nice gesture; and two, this way she can get at least partially reimbursed from the coffers.)

"So a mercenary then?" His interest seems raised.

Vibria purses her lips thoughtfully. “Not as a whole. There are some magi who could be described as such. But more who prefer a reason to fight.

“I might be able to give you a clearer answer if I had some idea of what you have in mind.”

(Btw, are Jaksic and Felix with her, or are they waiting at the Starbucks across the plaza?)

They would be with her, along with Vocis.
"I have heard rumors of your order, I believe, from my brethren to the east. There is respect there, at least for the abilities of those who joined the crusaders and with whom they have had confrontations. My lord is preparing for a potential conflict and if you were available as a mercenary... I believe that having mages with different approaches to the art may be of benefit. We could pay in coin or in knowledge, if you are interested." There is a pause, after which his mood lightens "But that was not my purpose in inviting you here, and such business if you are interested can wait until after the meal. I got what information my Genie brought, and aside from making sure you were no threat to the plans of my Lord, my own curiosity was piqued, and I invited you here to see what I could learn of you. Please, try the lamb, I would swear my cook is a maga herself but she has been tested and found to be merely very skilled."

Vibria ponders the sultan's (?) offer while the meal is served. She starts to ask for more when she's almost through, but then she remembers how hard she had to work to get back in shape after her second child. ."This is delicious," she said. "I don't think I've ever had lamb like this before. And I've never seen anything like these, either." She gestured toward the exotic (to her, anyway) side dishes.

"I must admit, I've never met a wizard from outside our Order before. Am I correct in assuming your lord is one such?" She pops a morsel into her mouth as she waits for his answer.

(During the dinner, she will surreptitiously drop little bits of lamb to the floor for Felix.)

I can continue playing in this one as Carlos.

"No, the Sultan is a man without magic. Our order is forbidden from holding political office, except as mage to the court."

"Ah." Vibria nods. "We have similar rules, but stricter, it seems. I look forward to meeting your Sultan." She takes a slow drink of her wine and watches her host over the rim of her goblet.

"I'm not sure the Sultan's schedule will allow for that, but I can see, unless of course you are interested in the job, in which case an introduction should be easy to arrange."

Observing the excellent tact with which Vibra is using, Vocis is content to stay little. While he does not wish to offend, the thought of fighting on one side of an unknown politic concerns him. Fascinated by the creature, he is also watching for signs of intent from the genie.

"I would need to learn more about the job before I can decide whether I'm interested in the job. And if I do decide that I would be interested, I would need to discuss it with my sodales. I wouldn't want to leave them in the lurch, and it's possible that they may be interested, as well.

"Personally, I wouldn't be adverse spending the winter here. I'm not very fond of the ice and cold and the bitter, biting winds." She winks at Vocis to take some of the possible sting out of her words.

"The plans are not for public announcement, they are for later this year, through proxies and mercenaries. I would need at minimum an oath of secrecy before I could reveal more, and that in a more private meeting."

Vibria mulls the offer over while they finish the meal, making idle chatter.

Once the meal is over, she leans back. "I would like to meet with your sultan and hear his offer. And I will swear your oath of secrecy, if..."

Vibria raises her finger for emphasis. "If we are not discussing an attack on my sodales or our covenant, or the plans do not pose a threat to my Order."

"Your covenant I can guarantee, your Sodales, I am unfamiliar with the term. Your order, I cannot guarantee others of your order will not be involved on the other side."

"Sodales is a word our Order uses for other members of our Order.

Vibria sits quietly for a few minutes, pondering deeply. "I would meet with your Sultan," she finally says. "I make no promises beyond that, but as I said, I would like to make an informed decision."

Vocis offers "I humbly suggest our sodales should seek to hear more, and agree to keep your Lords confidence. Even if one or other of us finally choose not to assist militantly, it may be prudent to give some consultation to him if another of the Order of Hermes is involved. Magi of the Order have oaths which must be maintained, often best applied strictly."

"Certainly you would be able to advise others of your order as to whether or not such a role is in keeping with your vows, so long as you give away no military information."

Vibria looks at Vocis, then back to the sultan. "I would be interested in speaking with the Sultan, after we've had a chance to discuss with our compatriots. Shall we say, two days from now?"

"I will see when the Sultan is able to see you, and send you a message. I am certain my djinn will find you wherever you might be."