An offer we can't refuse...(Flambeau Council)

Alexei offers Fiona wine. "No." he says at her question. "He has excellent recommendations, from two that likley know much of the current situation. But I have never heard of him and Isen and Jacques have not as well, I don't recall seeing him at the meeting when we elected Ariel, but I could have easily missed him. He's about Jacques age I believe and is from an area that has a lot of action, so he could be well mustered should we need it." he pauses and thinks a moment. "Jacques and Isen and myself are ready to allow him to enter as a guest per the rules of the Charter as well as offer probationary membership should he ask. I am concerned with how that appears and of course want to know how everyone feels regarding this. Flambeau would be the most numerous House by far at Mons Electi, and this is a request from our Prima."

Isen grumphs

Just to say: As I've said to Alexei and Jacques, I don't care if he's a Flambeau or a Jerbiton or a duck, so long as he's good and reliable.

A duck would be much less useful than a good fighter so lets hope he is not a duck.

[color=magenta]"Financially, the addition of a new magus is not a problem: even if he brings a small retinue, it would not be hard to find a way to compensate for the additional expense," Tranquillina declares, pointing unhelpfully to one of the wax tablets. [color=magenta]"And we do still have room in the mansion for guests and provisional members - Apollodorus did not skimp on space here."

[color=magenta]"As for a fourth Flambeau in residence - I have no objection at all. Let others think we are a Flambeau covenant if they wish. My attitude is that misperceptions are always a source of potential advantage. Of course," she winks at Jacques, [color=magenta]"this is all predicated on the assumption that this Roberto is no duck."

Fiona sips the wine as she thinks. [color=blue]"Yes, I recall hearing that Ariel is well aware of what cost Apollodorus his life," she says after a couple of minutes. [color=blue]" Her vouching for this Roberto is good enough to allow him as a guest, and as a probationary member. And, if things turn out so that he doesn't belong here, we can always deny his application to become a member in good standing. As long as he also realizes that he can be Flambeau anywhere, but he can only be Mons Electi here."

For a moment, Isen looks offended that his words are turned into a joke by jacques first, Tranquillina later, but he relaxes somewhat, marking a slight pause

I wouldn't underestimate ducks. When faced by missile fire, a good fighter knows the value of duck and cover.

[color=blue]"I rather hope he is a duck," Fiona deadpans. [color=blue]"A duck with a knowledge of Ignem unmatched in all the order, and able to withstand about twenty, twenty-five magnitudes of fire. We would be unstoppable!"

Then she sees the look on Isen's face, and she feels a little guilty. She reaches over and pats his hand. [color=blue]"I'm sorry, sodalis, I don't mean to make light of what you say. But in times such as we face, a little levity can be just what we all need."

"Others are making jokes at the council meetings...it appears my usefulness is at an end." Alexei sighs and takes a drink of wine before laughing. "Glad to see we are loosening up. Very well, we shall send word of welcome to Roberto. I'll write to Ariel and Santiago and Roberto and inquire when we can expect him. Well that was the main item I wished to bring up, are there other matters of import?"

((I can't think of anything that Fiona would have that isn't already going on in other threads somewhere.))

((So as not to hold up Roberto's entrance any longer, here is a draft of the letter that Alexei will send to invite him in, since you will be countersigning just let me know it's ok and I'll post it in the Letter thread))

To: Ariel Prima of House Flambeau, May her Stewardship be long and prosperous!,
Roberto Rodriguez ex Flambeau and Santiago ex Flambeau

My dearest Prima Ariel and esteemed Flambeau Santiago and Roberto, it is with great delight that we here at Mons Electi have received your letter and earnest request. Given the state of affairs at both the Tribunal and our dear Covenant, such help and support as well as confidence is most welcome. I have discussed the request with the members of our House that reside in mons Electi; Isen and Jacques and are enthusiastically resolved that we should extend our invitation to young Roberto. Further, after discussing with the rest of Mons Electi, we are all of a mind to have him visit us as a protected guest, with intent to join as a perspective member, as is allowed by our Charter, ratified upon our joining the Covenant of Mons Electi.

To this end I, Alexei von Kroitsau ex Flambeau, member in good standing of the Milites and Imperator of Mons Electi, shall act as sponsor to Roberto Rodriguez ex Flambeau and extend to him the invitation to attend Mons Electi and enjoy the unique amenities it provides as well as the many challenges that await. We thank our Prima for this oppourtunity and are eager to meet Roberto and see the fine qualities that you have spoken of.

Sincerely,
Alexei von Kroitsau

Viscaria didn't bother to show up, sending Theraphosa instead. "For ourselves, we would not mind at all if this covenant WAS thought of as a Flambeau Covenant, and particularly would enjoy it if the Flambeau of the Milites knew that my sister worked here. The only point I wish to clarify beyond that is.....do we, in fact, know whether or not Prima Ariel knows the truth about Apollodorus? Do we know where she stands in relation to our conflict with Valerian and his cronies?"