Ancient Magic Sneak Peek Now Available

Not even telling which chapters you wrote ?? This seems rather outlandish, with TOC being available. :open_mouth:

2 more weeks. It's getting real close

We were asked not to discuss the "contents" of the book. I don't know if discussing the authors' chapters goes over the line or not, but it's only a few days away. I will say that I got my copy and it looks very nice. Thanks to Mr. Nephew for sending them early. :smiley:

Erik Dahl - Adamic and Rune Magic
Timothy Ferguson - The Hesperides
Jeff Kyer - Heron's Mechanica
Richard Love - Canaanite Necromancy and Fertility Magic
John Post - Defixio Magic
Paul Tevis - Magic of the Grigori
Alex White - Hyperborean Magic

Heartfelt thanx, pal. And be assured that while I regard pretty much all the book's topics as potentially rather interesting and quite worth my money and itme, your Defixio Magic is one of the magic fields I am waiting to read and use most eagerly, as I can see all kinds of ways it can be fruitfully integrated in mainstream Hermetic magic and Hermetic Mysteries. I sorely felt the lack of defixio magic from the other sympathetic Mysteries, but now I can see it was meant elsewhere. The other is Hyperborean Magic, even if Adamic and Fertility Magic deeply pique my interest, too. And I am curious to read about Canaanite Necromancy and Magic of the Grigori to confirm or disprove certain suppositions about the limits of magic.

Come on, now, has no one yet rushed to the nearest FGLS and eagerly gave a quick skimming of the whole book ?

I want spoilers, spoilers, spoilers to warm me up in the long, hard time the book will take to worm its way through the Atlantic :frowning:

One of those often ardent to discuss such matters I am also really looking forward to it, although I'd have to add that I personally have no suppositions on the limits of magic, only the limits of hermetic magic. And since these traditions offer interesting insights that might spur on breakthroughs in Bonisagus, to my opinion, flawed theory.

Well, this time I've ordered my books from the UK rather than the US - to cut the expenses on transport and most of all import taxes from outside the EU - and I've been checking up on the books on their digital shelves for several days now, since I've also postponed C&G to order them together. And I finaly struck the gold and have just finally ordered the book, now I anticipate the the package with much glee - and I wonder if Atlas shipping to overseas FLGS in advance will lessen the horrible wait...

YES YES YES!!! Bring on the spoilers!!! :smiling_imp:

Yes, and my curiosity is to see whether Canaanite magic, which violates one of the most seemingly "hardcore" lesser limits of hermetic magic (in that is most closely skirts the Limit of the Divine) is justified by getting some sort of special divine "sanction" (it is quoted in Old Testament), which would make me think that any magic feat that gets quoted in Bible or Qu'ran would get a "loophole" from the limits of magic, or it stands on its own merits, which would mean it is an intrnisec possibility of the Magic Realm. If the latter, then the combined purview of the possibilities offered by Ancient Magic and Hermetic Mysteries, if fully integrated in mainstream Hermetic magic, would mean that Bonisagus' theory, in its present form, is deeply faulty and incomplete, and while havign good merit, is roughly half of what it could be.

Yep, I've just noticed that leisuregames sports the book in this week's releases, which means with a little luck, the book might be in my greedy paw by next week's beginning, if postal service does not £$%& it. Yippeee!!!

Heartfelt thanks to John and Michelle for the early shipping overseas. Quite considerate, folks. :smiley:

As did I. I ripped myself to buy a bundle - my frantic hopes are that they will be here for my birthday in a few days. Which was also my justification for a few other extra treats.

and wild crowds cheering too!

Idem. 8)

Here's an early [color=green]Happy Birthday to you.

What? You aren't prostrated in adoration? :imp: :wink:

Thanks Fruny, although I will be giving up my youth. :cry: At least officially... :imp:

Hehehe.... the most fun part is that you have now declared Wizard's War on Wanderer for my transgressions!!! What a masterpiece of intrigue!!

I had notice from Amazon USA that my order is shipped.
Though it will not be here until between the 18th and 30th of this month. :frowning:
(30th is most likely)
The discount on Ancient Magic was worth it ,
as the cost of shipping & handling is about the same as a whole Ars Magica supplement.

I got a confirmation from Amazon on mine as well.

I feel happy. :smiley:

And I just got one that Leisure Games in London shipped mine! :slight_smile:

I feel exited :smiley:

I just picked up my copy on the way to my dental appointment. I had about 10 minutes to page through it while waiting to have my teeth cleaned. Is there anything in particular that you'd like me to try and give a spoiler for?

Got mine in Orcs Nest in London at 12.30 - they kindly extracted it from a very large box of packing nodules for me (they were of course at the bottom). Wish I hadn't had to work during the PM

I would take a turn in the dentist seat any day to get a fresh batch of Ars! :smiley:

Since my interest in Mercurian and Diedne magic will not be placated with Ancient Magic (my hopes are still high for the RoP: Magic... :wink: ), I would like some spoilers on Hyberborean Magic, how it might potentially radically change the vis-economy, and a few treats on the Hesperides as Timothy earlier really got our interest peaked on the subject and its location.... :slight_smile:

Well, if you're giving away free information... How'd it go at the dentist?

Oh, and is there anything there my Verditius silversmith might find useful?

I ran my Ars game last night so I didn't have a lot of time to look at the book but I did sqeeze in a few minutes to scan the Hyperborain chapter for goodies. I only had a few minutes so take the following with a grain of salt.

There are a great number of potential breakthroughs associated with Hyperborian magic.

I recall three that would drastically change vis economy.

The most easily achieveable and likely to appear in your game is the new duration of nineteen years (one magnetude higher than year), this makes long term ritual spells much more feasable.

The second (and IMO most cool) breakthrough is opening enchanted items using by warping yourself rather than using vis.

The third option (which I don't recall the details of) is somehow manageing permanent creation without vis.

Of course by dryly recaounting the possible breakthroughs associated with a chapter I'm really doing it a disservice. The chapter is about a reat deal more than the potential breakthroughs.

Hyperborean wizards were associated with the god Apollo. Their magic was structured in "Hymns". there were certainly many many Hymns that the Hyperborans knew but presented in the book are seven that hymns that there might be sufficent evidence left from to reconstruct.

Each Hymn is learned as a supernatural ability. Each Hymn has many (10-15 or so) different "things" (I don't recallthe term that the book uses) associated with it. These "things" are much more specific than forms. For each level in a hymn that a character has they gain 15 levels worth of powers in associated with the things of the hymn. So if a character had a score of 4 in a hymn they would design sixty levels of powers that are appropriate to the things of that hymn. Hyperborian magic can not do intellego. Creatign an effect with Hyperborian magic is much easier to do during the day than during the night.

Hyperborian wizards had their own special warping mechanic (ala, standard warping, twilight, divine gloom, and vituperation) this is detailed in the book. It might interact with some of the adventure seeds (which I haven't had a chance to read yet.

Well, I hope your dentistry trial went all A-OK.

All of the ancient magic tradition look worthwhile, but I'm supremely interested in getting details about Defixio Magic and Hyperborean Magic, and to a lesser degree Adamite language, and Fertility Magic. In due time, I'd also eventually like to hear about Grigori Magic, Canaanite Necromancy, and Magical Coordinates.

I had so much fun I'm going back again today :frowning:

Breif impressions from paging through the book:

Hyperborian I covered above

Defixio magic I don't recall anything about (well, I recall a little but upon reflection I think that I might be recalling Cananite Necromancy instead and I don't want to cause confusion)

Adamic magic is centered around the language used before the tower of Babel. It allows spontanieous arcane connetions to anything and if you are the first person to name an entity the power of the adamic language changes the entity to conform to the name that you gave it.

Fertility Magic involves a minor skill of being able to spot issues related to child birth and (more importantly) relations by examination (see who is the second cousin of whom). And a major virtue that opens up a new target (unborn child) and allows the practitioner to create ritual spells that grant vitues and flaws to the developing child (for instance improved characteristics, minor personality flaw: deferential to magi, or gifted)