... and lost souls

comment withdrawn

((There is no guile involved. if the servants of a mage hurt another member of the order that their studies and wounds are impacted, they are also guilty. This is why anything your apprentice does is your fault. These grogs are acting without orders from the magi and that screws them over royally. Plus I am not asking for much, just to retrieve my belonging in middle of the town.))

also withdrawn :smiley:

((by PUBLISHED CODE precedents, a mage that injures another mage that their labwork and studies are impacted is guilty of a code violation (they were fined in the precedent case) but the only punishment under the code is March, the fine was compromise. A mage is responsible for their servants whether acting on their own will or the mages. So these guards hurt Katja, the mage that commands them takes the fall.

MAriella lost a certamen and instead accepting that, she attacked with Perdo Corpus attempting to kill (another violation of the code). If Katja left and found the queasitors, MAriella could be marched.))

[color=red]My lady, you are a guest here and do not have authority. My instructions are to protect this covenant and village given the confused situation here I cannot allow you to leave the Aegis . I assure you that no one means you any harm and if the magi have not returned soon then I will of course allow you to continue your journey , however until that time I must request that you remain within the guest quarters and in order to protect this place my men will use force to carry out their orders if necessary
He Bows respectfully and turns to leave

[color=blue]OOC comments on the code have been read. I may or not agree with them and the NPC's may or may not know the code, and or care, or interpret it correctly. I did think this through thoroughly. Katja certainly does not have much of a clue as she does not have any skill related to Hermetic law(or lore). Happy to discuss in the OOC Thread .On alishtly seperate note if the coven folk are actually concerned about a threat from Katja letting her leave the Aegis would be insane as they have no defense against her magic other than the Aegis

KAtja allows him to leave but instead heads to window to her quarters and begins casting. She uses a loud voice and exaggerated Gestures. Aegis protect people from using spells to transport people into the Aegis but not from spell to leave the aegis. It is oppressive but she does not accept the authority of mundanes.

Her first attempt has the magic gathering but it fals and she is left fatigued but she has time. A few minutes later after she has caught her breath, she tries a second time. This too fails but she is not discouraged yet. Finally the third try the spell words and she is 50 paces outside her quarters heading for town.

She then immediately starts casting again in moments she is moving 50 paces at a time to get to town. Formulaic spells, figuring that she is well ahead of any response, she has no stress.

Once she gets to her sled, she levitates it to full 10' up with her crouching down in back to protect from arrows and flies it back to the covenant edge. To a place that can be seen from the guesthouse windows but she keeps it in the air rather than landing it. [color=red]"Now then, do I land and return to quarters to read and rest until the others return or do we have to fight. I have done only what I said I wanted to do." She is intractible on the other hand she is not trying to hurt the grogs. Appearantly though the Aegis is enough to stop her if she wants to be a pain. A lesson she hopes in cooperating with mages.

OOC Formulaic Arcane repositioning spell, in the aura she is +20 +2 for exaggerated voice/gestures for +22 - 20 for aegis means +2. She needs 8 or better to get the spell off. As it is formulaic, she is in no rush, it is simple die. She makes it on 3rd attempt 50 paces (150 feet should get her far enough from the manor. If not, first casting once out of her room is enough to get another 150 feet.

Ten more castings to get to town (tell me if I need more) with +3 aura, +20 to roll, level 20 spell, formulaic, no stress. Spell goes off 10 times (if stress, then spell still goes off since there are no 0's

Levitating sled is formulaic, simple die roll +22 on the roll

Three tries to get out of guest house
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2096786/

Ten more castings
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2096810/

OOC Sorry for the delay in this comes from it getting slightly complciated and then from me somehow losing an original response I thought I had posted but which clearly I have not. Fortunatly really as I had overlooked some important points the first time

Hearing the shouting in Latin from within the guest house, the guards on the door enter the guest house shortly after Katja finishes her first casting and she hears them entering .

Katja knows that the spells don't take long and she keeps going. She is going to finish the casting and do what she means to do without hurting anyone. (if this makes makes the 2nd one stress, then the 2nd one would have been success since 2nd roll was a 1 and third a 10.)

OOC Ignoring the last 2 messages as the first spell worked making them irrelevant

The first teleportation spell takes Katja out of the guest house and onto the road leading from the gate in the stockade to the manor house from where she can see the gate with her sled parked outside. She can here the shouting of alarm from the guard on the guest house. There she orientates herself and teleports towards the gate which will take two more teleports. Unfortunatly her lack of experience in combat and poor eyesight mean that she fails to spot the 2 armed guards standing at the gate, despite being on alert the guards are slow to react not spotting her until she completes second teleport and is casting her third her teleport spell which will take her through the open gate and to her sled two arrows from the gate guards hit her inflicicting 2 heavy wounds, the shock of the wounds prevents her completing the teleport spell.

OOC: No defense rolll to dodge? and considering I know that the guards are at the gate considering I saw them (When I arrived at the covenant, went down to the village after the attack and saw them on way back too room running from Mariella. Also, each of my teleport spells is 150' that is a long distance. (wouldn't there be range modifiers and such.)

Yes there was a defense roll .
I do not have the dice rolls written down but the modifiers where
Archers (standard soldier grogs) Bow(Short Bow) 4 , Dex +2 , +3 Bow Atk Bonus Base attack +10 Range about 30 paces gave them -6 total +4
Defense Roll for Katja +1
Damage modifier for Bows +7
Katja's soak +2
Damage of 9+ needed for heavy wound IIRC the grogs rolled about 9 and 12 and Katja rolled about 5 both times(including modifiers )I know I was worried that the higher dice roll may kill katja and was prepared to reroll if necessary
The pecreption roll to spot what was going on was 2 (including the net -1 from stats and skill) You have the none combat flaw which means "You have no interest in COmbat and not ability in it" so I required you to spot the guards to take any reaaction other than a last minute dodge .
To the gate from the guest house after your initial teleport was about 80 yards, the guard at the guest house was still busy entering your room and none of the other grogs where nearby village militia are patrolling the walls as well.
The covenant has recently been under magical attack, several people have been killed the guards are parananoid and on edge and this unknown mage who for all they know could have been behind the attacks on them is using magic to come towards them deapite being inside the Aegis which they know protects from magic.
Without a protective spell up Katja is very vulnerable in combat. She failed to cast the teleport spell she was casting when she was injured as it had a concentration roll of 15+ after being injured and her +4 modifier was not enougth to make it I don't remember the roll but it wasn't a 1 and then a 6 or more.

I spent quite some time trying to think of another result to this situation but I could not find one which seemed reasonable to me and was not a Deux Ex Machina

OOC Foreign mage that arrived AFTER The killings started. Who warned that Mariella was doing it to people who offended her. WHo ran from fight. Who offered no violence. They are guards that serve the order that harming a mage or killing a member of the order is a crime. They should know that. They are acting on their own authority with no one saying they should. They went for KILLING attacks, not warning shots.
Basically there is 1) no way Katja would likely stay here without deaths of everyone of them involved and heavy price for her pain. Otherwise she will go to tribunal and she will pursue this to march against Mariella for attempted Murder by her first and the her servants and depriving her of her magical might by the injuries. Considering this is Rhine tribunal, she is bonisagus and the tradition of hospitality in the tribunal is VERY strong. She will have a good chance of getting it. No mage wants to visit a covenant and be attacked, Imprisoned or wounded. Deus ex MAchina? These are not covenant guards of the order, guards who are shield grogs and charged with protecting a mage.

It isn't even as if she had asked anything hard. Merely to fetch her belonging back to close to where she was staying and she originally didn't mind guards coming with her. Until they went over their authority and imprisoned her. She is mage, they are servants to mages. (which also means their crimes penalize their mage masters)

First teleport took me from guest house 50 yards (that is a huge distance), 2nd teleport took me 50 more yards, third was 50 yards more. In addition, I know there are guards at the gate, I met them when I arrived. I met them again when I passed them down to investigate the night before, I spoke to them again when I returned last night running from Mariella and specificaly told them Mariella was back behind me, I didn't know her condition but she tried to kill, was responsible for killings in village and to tread carefully with her. They are not hiding now. So I know exactly where they are. They don't know where I will appear from a teleport but I was teleporting for purposes of avoiding the guard (so giving them wide open shots at me isn't likely. More importantly they have to spot and find where I am.

We definately need a large map of the covenant because these distances and layout seem very improbable. My intention was to be outside ovenant walls by the first one so that second and third were basically just increasing distance away until I got to where I was going.

That is your interpretation of events and you are entitled to it.
I disagree with most of it and the legal implications are COMPLETELY beyond Katja who has no knowledge of Hermetic law beyond the basic code .
The covenfolk are not robots they are individuals who act as they feel fit, I agree that Katja was first seen after the attacks started and that she did indeed accuse Mariella of being behind everything. This was taken into conisideration and is why they where not taking action to support Mariella in the fight.
They have been trained to fight magical opponents ny Ardeth and Mariella neither of whom I beleive would have told them to warn mages if they needed to shoot. She had been warned, they had been told that she was ignoring the warning and posed a clear threat to them (she was no threat but they had no way of knowing the limits of her magic) .
Your fundemental assumption is that they beleive you a complete stranger when you tell them that Mariella is responsible for all the bad things which happened . Now because of Mariella's blatant gift they actually where inclinded to believe you but still did not trust you after all Mariella has lived here for several years and these killings only occurred recently which suggests she is not responsible and you turned up recently which makes you a possible their inclination was to put everything on hold for a few days until Justus , Krispin and Ardeth returned (in about an hour) and let them sort it out then you pushed them . Also for reasons unknown to you so you could not consider them the judgement of the grogs is somewhat impaired at the moment,
(Mariella has a truly excellent defense (I don't kill off my own pc when SG'ing) she was not responsible for her actions as she was possessed by a magical spirit through no fault of her own and was not in control of her actions or Katja would be dead. There may be consequences from the actions of the covenfolk however I will let that be settled by the consensus of the players I think their actions where perfectly understandable although possibly problemetic with the order as a whole)

They already brought her , her possesions (except the sled which is too heavy to move). They can see no 'good' reason for her behaviour and beleived that she was a potential threat and being somewhat panicky at the moment attempted to stop her posing a threat.

I can only interpret what you type not your intentions , if you are uncertain as to a situation ask and get an answer before assuming that the GM will share your opinion.
Your first teleport took you from the window of the guest house to a location on the 'street' out of town there was no LOS out of town. The street was about 75 paces , so your second teleport took you to about 30 paces from the gate where you could then teleprot to your sled.
At the time of your first teleport the guards where alerted by a shout from the guard at the guest house I decided (no rules required this) that they spent the round you spent casting the second teleport spell looking around and spotting you , then while you where preparing your final teleport I made inititiative rolls , both grogs beat your initiative (They have an initiative of +1 yours is +5 you rolled badly ) they then fired before you teleported I can think of nothing in the actions which invalidated the initiative system.
I agree your plan took no account of the guards had you asked you would have been told had you made a perception roll I would have given warning , have you not had none combatant I would have warned you (None combatant means you do not think in terms of combat and threats so I let you overlook things I would probably have warned some other pc's about) . it was a very bad plan and badly implemented as a result Katja got shot had she not done something like this she would not have been shot , stabbed or otherwise harmed. (As an example she could have cast a protective spell first)
Your assumption seems to be that I set you up to get shot and have acted unfairly , I do not see it that way and have tried quite hard to avoid negative consequences .(I woudl have prefered it if your first spell failed and I could have nipped your plan in the bud in the guest house without any injuries but thats not what happened.) I considered not having any guards on the gate but that makes no sense given the current problems. I considered having Mariella recovered from her fatigue and on her way to see you as her magic would have been enougth to control the situation but that was a Deux Ex Machina. The timing was not right for the others to turn up just yet . I considered rigging the perception roll so you got a chance for a fast cast defense .

Unless overruled which I don't object to I see no reason to roll back the events since your escape, despite the results not being something I wanted as I see no mistakes I have made which are suffieciently objective and clear for me to roll back events.

I have found something I overlooked. I should have given the oppertunity to use confidence on the defense rolls so I can make the attack defense rolls again using the confidence if requested

First, I would use confidence

SEcond, Correct me on this timeline.

Round 1) The door closes and then I move to window to prepare and start to cast at which point guard turns to come rushing back into house in reaction to my casting (He does not know if I went invisible, changed form, teleported 50 paces, 100 paces, 200 paces, 20 miles to AC I picked up on way to covenant). Voice range to be heard is 50 paces and this is 80 paces from Gate (I am going round about it seems which make sense to stay out of sight.

Round 2) Guard comes out of the guest house (round 1 was coming nad seeing I was gone) to start shouting. Attention is going to be one the one shouting orders to hear him for the long range.

Round 3) Guards are starting to look around (assuming that guy in guardhouse got out door and in voice range), have no need to pull bows (odd weapon to already have in hand for gate guards), spot me and shoot before I can make third jump into my sled. All this assume no walls or cover/concealment for my jump but rather I am standing in the wide open in front of the guards (I was doing jump spell to avoid the guards)

That seems more than a little predetermined. We still need that map of the manor and village then. If you get me a paintbrush sketched bitmap, I can post it somewhere that everyone can view it.

A map is not going to change anything at this point. It can be drawn to fit the circumstances if Andrew was a Killer DM, and it just seems like wriggling on behalf of a stubborn player. I am not calling either of you any of these things. I am just trying to point out that there is a better way of handling it.

LadyP, just go for the Confidence bonus. I do it to Andrew and Max all the time and it drives them nuts (because Roberto is Self Confident and all around super awesome, he totally makes Riccardo and Diego look like sissies).
Plus, since he forgot to record the original rolls, he is granting you a re-roll. Golden opportunity, you might not need confidence. Use the Invisible Castle. I usually just let Max or Andrew roll polyhedrals at their home because it is quicker that way. But I also like using e-rollers. It brings a bit of table-top spice to the PbP format.

The problem with producing a map is three fold

1. I have the basic paint package on my PC which sucks producing a map on that would be like pulling teeth so its not happening (Particularly as my skills at producing such things suck as well so it would not work). If my scanner had not broken this would be much easier
  2. i am entering a busy phase and would not have time to do that sort of thing until Mid July (2 and a bit weeks)
  3. Posting said map would not be a problem for me

Finally I am not sure I should produce the map as I am only the Beta SG and don't want to mess up things for Max

Round 1) The door closes and then I move to window to prepare and start to cast at which point guard turns to come rushing back into house in reaction to my casting (He does not know if I went invisible, changed form, teleported 50 paces, 100 paces, 200 paces, 20 miles to AC I picked up on way to covenant). Voice range to be heard is 50 paces and this is 80 paces from Gate (I am going round about it seems which make sense to stay out of sight.

Actually I thought some time had passed since the door closed or The guard commander would also have been present. Once the guard outside heard spell casting he sounded an alarm and opened the door

Round 2) Guard comes out of the guest house (round 1 was coming nad seeing I was gone) to start shouting. Attention is going to be one the one shouting orders to hear him for the long range.

At this point the guards look around responding to the shouting and see a teleporting maga it stands out a bit and attracts attention and they make perception rolls

Round 3) Guards are starting to look around (assuming that guy in guardhouse got out door and in voice range), have no need to pull bows (odd weapon to already have in hand for gate guards)???????????????????????????????????????????/
Obvious wepon to have IMO . Standing atop the gate they can see anyone approaching at range and if they are hostile shoot them. Using an axe on someone 100 yards away is difficult.
, spot me and shoot before I can make third jump into my sled. All this assume no walls or cover/concealment for my jump but rather I am standing in the wide open in front of the guards (I was doing jump spell to avoid the guards)
Well then TELL ME THAT WHEN YOU TELL ME WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! do not expect me to read your mind
I presumed a least time direct route via the main street which is naturally wide open so the guards naturallly can see you.

I obviously do not consider the reaction of the guards to be unreasonable and the arguement is over

OOC as a side note today I wrecked the main work database got shouted at and probably am not in the best mood I have been in recently

Archery
Grogs
Bow 5 +2 Dex +3 shortbow -6 range +4
Katja
Dodge +1 (Quickness) 3 extra botch dice as no skill

Damage
Bow +6 strength +1 total +7
Katja soak +2

Dice rolls on Dice roll server will be
1st Attack roll for Grog 1 (However many dice are needed)
2nd Defense Roll for Katja (However many dice are needed)
3rd Attack roll for Grog 2 (However many dice are needed)
4th Defense Roll for Katja (However many dice are needed)

Confidence will be used on any succesful hit roll
I gave it the wrong saga name
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2137603/
Grog 8 +4 12
Katja 8+1 +3 confidence 12
Miss
Grog 2 4+4 8
Katja 4 +1 5 confidence 8
Miss

1 confidence remaining

At this point 1 teleport will take you to the sled , you can either teleport which we will reroll or do something else before the end of the round

Katja teleports into her sled and flattens herself against the side of the back part since that will make shooting arrows at her almost impossible. Cover is very important. Once she is down, then she will intone the magic to get the sled up into the air, 10' up. This will protect her from attack. She is a mage and they are servants of mages. They can not be allowed to harm or imprison mages on their own.