Andolvar, ex Miscellanea (delevopment)

I have a few concepts to mix into a Criamon Magus. I haven't decided their priority, so any potential match or leaning which is beneficial to wider Andorra Magi is interesting to me. Hooks and loops into other aspects of the game are desirable. Also this will be only my second Criamon ever, and the last was in the 3e days, so I've a little history to mentally retcon. :slight_smile:

Madnor Sevellis ex Criamon,

Concepts:

• A little weird in personality/outlook, it is a Criamon after all. I think the stigmata will still be present as ever, so that'll be entertaining to deal with. Obsessive/focused rather than vague in weirdness style.
  • Concept: Standing Alone in a Crowded Room - I have an interest in the Path of Strife, from HoH:MC. If so, he is seeking a place which is away from his fellow Criamon to keep them away from his influence, but also somewhere where he can be useful. Andorra is like that: alone without a Tribunal, but within the Order. I'm not sold on all the concepts which are encapsulated in the Path of Strife though.
  • Concept: A Void Seeker, On his own path to the Empyrean. Our path to the Empyrean was shattered and splintered, and through study of the Void we will learn to walk the paths again. They have it wrong, the riddle/pathway is not so esoteric as to be the questions that drives most Criamon, it is far more about our metaphysical relationship to the realms, and particularly about how the Twilight Void interacts with the Magic Realm with the Mundane realm.
  • Concept: A Seeker - lost magics, particularly integration to MT / discovery of new work. This is very "Bonisagus" in feel, so not sure if the character's house should flip, or perhaps I'll mage a Boni and take the "welcomed friend" minor virtue for Criamon that lets them be a guest member too. I don't want a lab rat though, has to be out doing often enough to be involved.
  • I'd like to use Vim as a high art in either concept, as I've not done much with Vim magic in previous games.
  • Failing all that ... perhaps a Tytalus Lepper. They read as a darn cool concept.

At present I'm more interested in the Void Seeker, as it might dovetail into a more traditional Seeker concept, give reasons to go exploring, etc.

One at a time. Jebrick wants to play a Criamon. I highly recommend against anyone playing a Criamon. But I gamed with Jebrick way back in Novus Mane and reallyreallyreally want to get him in this saga. What I do recommend to everyone is to play a Flambeau magus. But no one listens to me :laughing:
You had another concept you talked about earlier?

Ok, very happy to step aside for Jebrick's Criamon.

Other ideas were:

(favoured) a Terram cult follower who venerates the Norse/Rhine mythos' aspects of the Earth instead of the more traditional Greek cult of the Earth. A goal to build great structures and monuments, akin to Fasolt and Fafnir before they were corrupted.

a Tytalus Lepper, once a combatant who is now trying to heal others. Turned away from the House, which is his personal conflict with the House.

or a Bonisagus militant. Weaponise each Form in new ways.

Or the Void Seeker from post above.

Go with the Norse guy. I can hook him in with the current Wadanzee adventure wherein they approach Asgard. And will wind up somewhere difficult :smiling_imp:

Excellent. I'll spec him properly shortly. I thought a tie in to the current Asgard thread would be great too. Very nice.
I'll change names, thread titles, etc too.

Character Overview
Andolvar is descended from the Svartálfar, the mythological Nordic black elves (a.k.a. magical dwarves) who crafted a number of the artifacts mentioned in the Norse legends. His ex Miscellanea magical tradition was brought into the Order two generations ago, and retains a powerful love for the cold countries in the north of the world, and any places where the presence of the primal earth is felt. Andolvar's specializations comes from an intrinsic yearning to be among the mountains and the earth, the deep places, the high places, and the places of magical power.

Andolvar is drawn to mountainous regions, and is driven to construct (eventually) mega-structures, be that artifice buildings, monuments, standing stones, or even underground cities, etc. eh is an initiated member of the Servants of Erda mystery Cult (see below).

Andolvar is also a known member of the Terrae Cult, as was founded by Guernicus, which is more of a casual association of topic-interested Magi rather than a M.C. in terms of the initiations and sects.

Servants of Erda, background to the Ex Miscellenea tradition
Founded eons ago, though the worship and exploration of the powers within the domain of the Norse earth-mother goddess in North mythos, named Erda (a.k.a. Jord, noted as Thor's natural mother). Edra is a primal force more than a traditional god, born before the reign of Odin, and thought to be truly eternal. Her followers venerate a synergy with all aspects of the earth, the mountains, the high places and the deep delves.

Norse/Scandinavian lore is rich in themes and material which concerns building and crafting, the cycle of time, pathways from and to Valhalla, and transformations for both the known realms, man, and the Gods themselves. The Servants of Erda have a deep seeded respect for the earth as the bedrock of strength, life, growth, and wisdom. The tradition seeks to respectfully manage and protect the earth.

The Ex Miscellenea traditions has it's own Mystery Cult initiations and progression. This "feel" is deliberately very different tradition form the Earth Cult of worshiped elsewhere, such as the members of Hedyosmos covenant (see The Sundered Eagle sourcebook), who focus on the Greek mythological references to the earth as related to death, necromancy, blindness, and the afterlife.

Initiation One - The Bonded Spirit
The joining of the practitioner to an earth spirit or earth based magical being.
Grants a minor virtue to gain a spirit familiar or magical familiar relating to the earth.

Initiation Two - At Peace with the Earth
The learning of a prophecy and communion virtue, which allows the practitioners to understand the earth around them.
Grants a minor virtue emulating Intellego Terram spell effects.

Initiation Three - Focus of the Deep
Empowerment of deeper sympathy to the earth. Expressed as a magical potency relating to the one of aspects of Erda (earth, stone, strength, life, growth, wisdom,etc)
Grants a major or minor virtue of Potency.

Here is a draft stat block, only advanced to gauntlet. If that's OK, I'll advance further.

Andolvar, ex Miscellanea
Characteristics: Int +3, Per 0, Pre 0, Com +1, Str 1 (thin build), Sta +2 (hardy), Dex 0, Qik 2 (slow feet)

Virtues and Flaws: Affinity with Finesse, Affinity with Terram*, Deft Form (Terram), The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Improved Characteristics, Inventive Genius, Major Magical Focus (stone), Personal Vis Source (Terram), Puissant Finesse, Puissant Terram, Second Sight*, Strong Dwarf Blood (Svartalfar) (Craft Totals: +1), Chaotic Magic, Driven (Grand Monuments and Buildings), Svartalfar (Norse Black Elf, aka. Dwarf), Weak Magic Resistance (When in the air), Weird Magic (Botches on Stressed Casting: Extra botch die)

Abilities: Area Lore: Greater Alps 1, Area Lore: Frozen North 2, Area Lore: Pyrenees Mountains 1, Area Lore: Scottish Highlands 1, Artes Liberales 2, Awareness 1, Brawl 1 (Dodge), Chirurgy 1, Concentration 3, Craft: Architecture 2+1 [Category: Buildings], Craft: Sculpting 1+1, Finesse 2+2, Intrigue 1, Language: Latin 4 (hermetic usage), Language: Norse 5, Language: Occitan 2, Magic Lore , Magic Theory 3 (Terram), Mystery Cult Lore 0, Order of Hermes Lore 1, Parma Magica 1, Penetration 1, Philosophiae 1, Scribe 1, Second Sight 1, Survival 3 (Mountains), Teaching 1

Arts: Cr 7, In 0, Mu 5, Pe 7, Re 6, An 0, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 0, He 0, Ig 0, Im 0, Me 0, Te 10+3, Vi 6

Spells Known:
Conjuring the Mystic Tower (CrTe 35) +33, Mastery 1 (precise casting)
End of the Mighty Castle (PeTe 25) +29
Flaws of the Weaponsmith (PeTe 30) +22
Hardness of Adamantine (MuTe 25) +20
Invisible Sling of Vilano (ReTe 10) +29, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, precise casting)
Maintaining the Demanding Spell (ReVi 20) +14
Sap the Griffin's Strength (PeVi 5) +16, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)

Quick glance, looks good, like it.