Anulus Connectens: Janus of Mercere

Effects in Familiar bonds require at least R:Touch, that makes sense. Janus still does not go for T:Group, he lives with the fact that that both he and Proserpinus can't activate at the same time:

As for the spell to monitor the health of Redcaps I think I'll keep it at base 10, because I want a somewhat fancy effect. Also, it'll be too easy otherwise, even with Janus' Deficiency. And I just found a way to hack it.
Regarding whether an information gathering spell should work if the target goes away from the caster...I've put some limitations and requirements into the design. Although the rules IIRC don't touch upon this in any way:

Janus neds to work a bit for this spell, due to his Defiency.

• He has studied a bit for this
  • He has another apprentice (who is assumed to be at the end of his or her apprenticeship, for a good lab bonus)
  • He arranges for this single season to have six of his grand-grand-sires present in the lab, for the "Person" Free Lab Virtue (with a corresponding -6 Safety!)

I was told that effects must target one or the other.
The trick is go back to the ArM5 core book.

Yep, and It's actually more clear than I remember:

So from this, the aforementioned effect is ok.

But also:

But there is no mention of who controls it, if the effect affects both. and by this one could infer that is must be either the one or the other. And this was the part I remembered. However the first quote (4th point) quite clearly says both can be affected. And I think that it intends to limit familiar enchantments, specificlly excluding other effects like a mouse familiar shooting PoFs.

It says the familiar, the magus, or both. I'd say that to target both you'd need to have an effect with the "Group" target or something of the like.

Your effect can target either the familiar or the magus. This seems inconsistent with the description of both the shared senses power and the mental communication power.

It looks to me like bond effects can target the magus, the familiar, or both (that is both at once). They can't be designed to target either the magus or the familiar depending upon choice.

I’m not sure if the mistake lies in the rules or if the example effects are just suboptimally designed.

But it does make sense balance wise that a Touch effect is designed to work on either the maga or the familiar. And a Group effect could work on both at the same time. But not anyone else

In which case the fire ward in the bond is for Proserpinus alone. Janus has a slightly lesser ward for himself, from that incident with the dragon

I would refer back to this, when I was working on effects for Bausas and his faimilar bond with Callidus

Yep. That seems fair.

Another thing:
I'm looking into the design of some MuAn spells to give the Redcaps' horses extra abilities, so things like Eyes of the Cat etc.
I'm writing up:

a) Does it even need a Terram req? The hooved need not be actual iron, and I'd prefer if it didn't cost a magnitude.
b) T: Part seems in order here. But then again, why doesn't 'Eyes of the Cat' need that?

Gain, surely? Not retain. (emphasis added)

I don't think so, no.

Good question.

I agree that no Terram requisite is necessary.

I also think that target individual is appropriate. You're changing the hooves on the entire horse, not just the hooves on part of the horse.

Edit: Yes I realize that this line of reasoning could be twisted to "I turn all of the hearts in the target to stone, not just the hearts in part of the target". But it does seem to match with eyes of the bat, eyes of the hawk, gift of the bear's fortitude and other spells.

T: Part Co spells: Disguise of the New Visage, Arm of the Infant
The rest of them are T: Ind. (Except InCo "Sight of the True Form", Intellego can be a special case, and two Boundary Rituals)

Why?

Why is Eyes of the Cat T: Ind? Why Curse of the Unruly Tongue, why Spasms of the Uncontrolled hand?

Anyway, the two T: Part spells may be the ones designed wrong, so we'll the rest of them as Ind. Although it does seem the very thing for T: Part to cover.

New design:

Okay increased Soak for a horse...By analogy from Corpus it is Base 15 for +3.
Base 15 for Mu An gives a horse scaly, armoured skin. But how much Soak is this? This sounds dragon-y and much higher.

So is it more natural for an animal to have armoured skin than a human? I’d say yes. So perhaps Soak +3 for a house is a lower base?

Janus can easily invent a base 15 spell, but he does not want an unnatural look for the horse so lower Soak is desirable. And with lower base he might pull the spell off in same season as the other low level ones.

I've a thought on the use of target part versus individual.

The distinction I'm favoring is "is it reasonable to change the entire body in this way?"

Turning to stone: It is reasonable to turn the entire body to stone ergo changing the target's heart or hands to stone is target part.

Changing the target's eyes with Muto Corpus to give better vision (eyes of the hawk/cat): It is not sensible to turn the entire body to see better so these spells can be target individual.

Changing into a wolf: You can change entirely into a wolf, therefore giving a target a wolf's nose and olfactory sense acuity is target part.

Arm of the infant: It does make sense to change the entire person into an infant so target part

Curse of the Unruly Tongue: It does not make sense for the entire body to stutter and slur so target individual (getting a bit stretched here)

Spasms of the Uncontrolled hand: It does make sense for the entire body to spasm so target individual... yet it's target part in the book. Drat!

Changing the hoofs of a horse to have more iron like properties: It's more of a grey area here but I'm inclined to say that it does not make sense give an entire horse properties related to the hardness of iron and therefore it can be a target individual spell.

Spasms of the Uncontrollable Hand is base 2 (lose control af a body part) and Despair of the Quivering Manacles is base 4 (control large scale movements). So something in the guidelines themselves delve into how much of the body is affected.
But this is counter productive. A single art is easier to affect than a whole body in guidelines. But in parameters Part is harder than Ind (the whole).

If the entire horse gets the hardness of iron it would be hard pressed to move. It should get Soak bonus but that’s anther thing. But the hooves ( or teeth for that matter) are not moving parts they are contact surfaces for body parts.

But a clean up of guidelines would be a priority of mine for an ArM update. I could see a v5,5 but don’t see a need for such great changes that a v6 is needed. Meanwhile i’ll work with what I’ve got.

Janus uses T ind for the iron hooves.

I think T Part should only be used for “a limited portion of a homogeneous mass”, like a chunk of rock on a mountain or a portion of earth from the ground. Both examples are harder to affect than a rock or pile of earth of the same volume respectively .
[Edit: I've re-read the difition of Part, and it says the exact opposite than me. But since most spells are actually designed using my definitions...]

For humans or animals all body parts are distinct objects and thus T individual . No Animal spells seems to be Part. Plus Arm of the Infant and Disguise of the New Visage should both be Ind. They use base 3 “ utterly change size or appearance “. Either they become 1 mag lower or one could invent a base 4 (where none currently exist in core rules) to fit.

I haven’t yet looked at Herbam spells it but I assume it’s the same as with Co and An

Looking at Doublet of Impenetrable Silk is uses base 4 "change animal product in minor, unnatural way". Same base 4 guideline allows "major change in beast, leaving it recognizable the same animal". Higher guidelines for living animals makes unnatural changes.

So could it be considered natural for an animal to have a thicker hide, good for +3 Soak, since some animals naturally have this kind of hide?

And would it be reasonable to interpret the base 15 "scaly, armoured hide" as higher soak (+6 or +8?). Stellatus the Dragon in the Beastiary has Soak +20 with Stm +8, sp that's Portection +12 from his hide - a full chainmail is good for +9.

What I'm looking for is a the right Base to use for a not-too-unnaturally-looking soak boost for a horse.

The Fur That Turns Blades from TtA page 43 is MuAn 20, if you want a published "+soak for Animal" example.

EDIT : The Power Protect the Head, page 56 of RoP:M gives +5 soak to a group of animals.

As to maximums, 2 points of extra Soak is a Minor Magic Quality and for the Animal Qualities in HoH:MC have a bonus of 1 or 2. A shell gives a bonus of 4 but has an offsetting penalty to movement. Those might be examples of naturally possible, with unnatural guidelines needed for higher?

Thanks. I'll look at TtA once I'm back home with my books.
If more than 2 seems major/unnatural for animals, isn't it odd that Tough virtue and Gift of the Bear's Fortitude both give +3?

I'm now through Janus +90

He has spent 32 seasons of study: Magic Theory plus Arts. Abilities have been completely neglected. The remaining seasons have been spent in the lab. He has not taught an apprentice in this period, but has had the need for help from one of his filii for a few of the harder projects (Int+MT 8, so no biggie). Janus has done no work on his lab, although for the single season he invented the sepll *Sense of the Redcap's Well Being' his lab was rearranged to aloow 6 of his blood kin to be present. This +6 Co speciality was needed to help offset his Intellego Deficiency, and the corresponding -6 Safety meant this was not a desirable situation for the future. Although he did no experimentation during this period.

Janus spent some time on projects to allow a ship to explore the hot deserts of Africa or Arabia. His other area of interest was buffer spells to the Redcaps' horses plus spells to find and help wounded Redcaps. Below follows first Janus' lab projects and later on his stats.

Familiar Bonds

I'm now through Janus +90

He has spent 32 seasons of study: Magic Theory plus Arts. Abilities have been completely neglected. The remaining seasons have been spent in the lab. He has not taught an apprentice in this period, but has had the need for help from one of his filii for a few of the harder projects (Int+MT 8, so no biggie). Janus has done no work on his lab, although for the single season he invented the sepll *Sense of the Redcap's Well Being' his lab was rearranged to allow 6 of his blood kin to be present. This +6 Co speciality was needed to help offset his Intellego Deficiency, and the corresponding -6 Safety meant this was not a desirable situation for the future. Although he did no experimentation during this period.

Janus spent some time on projects to allow a ship to explore the hot deserts of Africa or Arabia. His other area of interest was buffer spells to the Redcaps' horses plus spells to find and help wounded Redcaps. The spells are his legacy to those who follow him as Custodian of a Mercer House. He needs to write up the lab texts or actually teach them.
Below are first Janus' lab projects and in the next poston his stats.

Familiar Bonds

Spells

Devices, Lesser

Devices, Charged

Janus +90
Characteristics: Int +3, Per -1, Pre +1, Com 0, Str -1, Sta +2, Dex -1, Qik -1 (1)
Size: 0
Age: 117 (51), Height: 168 cm, Weight: 72 kg, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0 (2)
Warping Score: 6 (6¼)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, True Friend (Familiar) (Bonus: +3 to appropriate Personality Traits)*, Hermetic Magus, Major Magical Focus (Home & Hearth), Affinity with Magic Theory, Alluring to Magical Beings (Bonus: +3 to Communication and Presence with Magical Beings), Cyclic Magic (Positive): +3 During Fall and Winter, Enduring Magic (Effect: Roll simple die to increase spell duration), Inoffensive to Magical Beings, Inventive Genius (Invent Lab Totals: +6), Mutantum Magic, Puissant Leadership, Puissant Magic Theory, Deficient Technique (Intellego), Driven (House Mercere legacy), Busybody (amorous liasons among Covenfolk and locals), Close Family Ties, Difficult Spontaneous Magic, Slow Caster
Personality Traits: Driven (Mercere legacy) +3, Loyal (Familiar) +3, Reliable +2, Brave -1
Combat:
Dodge: Init: -1, Attack --, Defense -1, Damage --
Fist: Init: -1, Attack -1, Defense -1, Damage -1
Kick: Init: -2, Attack -1, Defense -2, Damage +2
Soak: +4
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Area Lore: Local 4 (lineages) (1), Artes Liberales 2 (cermonial magic) (6), Awareness 3 (searching) (1), Charm 3 (seduction) (16), Code of Hermes 3 (political intrigue) (2), Concentration 3 (spell concentration) (1), Covenant Lore: Anulus Connectens 4 (internal relationships) (1), Folk Ken 5 (women) (3), Infernal Lore 3 (detecting corruption), Intrigue 3 (Hermetic) (10), Latin 5 (hermetic usage), Leadership 3+2 (debate) (2), Living Language 5 (poetry), Magic Lore 5 (abilities) (4), Magic Theory 16+2 (enchanting items), Order of Hermes Lore 4 (personalities) (10), Parma Magica 4 (corpus) (10), Philosophiae 2 (ceremonial magic) (6), Survival 2 (woodlands), Teaching 4 (hermetic apprentices) (12)
Arts: Cr 9, In 9, Mu 11, Pe 8, Re 13, An 10, Aq 10, Au 10, Co 12, He 10, Ig 13, Im 10, Me 10, Te 10, Vi 10

Spells Known:
Circle of the Matured Livestock (CrAn 25) +21. Cause an animal to reach full maturity over the course of a single day or night
Steed as Sure-footed as a Mountain Goat (MuAn 4) +23. Tethered
Cloven Feet of the Reindeer (MuAn 5) +23Tethered
Hump of the Camel (MuAn 5) +23. Tethered
Steed as Swift as a Gazelle (MuAn 5) +23. Tethered
Steed Like a Bloodhound Tracking (MuAn 5) +23. Tethered
Steed With Iron Hooves (MuAn 5) +23. Tethered
Winter Coat of the Reindeer (MuAn 5) +23. Tethered
Steed with Cat-like Senses (MuAn 10) +23. Tethered
Steed of Armoured Hide (MuAn 25) +23. Tethered
Personal Ward Against Beasts (ReAn 5) +25. Tethered
Custodian's Soothing Voice (ReAn 20) +25
Redcap's Tireless Journey (ReAn 25) +25. Tethered
Cloak of the Seal's Skin (ReAq 5) +25. Tethered
Arcane Breeze at the Back (ReAu 5) +25. Tethered
Arcane Shield Against Rain (ReAu 10) +25. Tethered
Arcane Ward Against Storms (ReAu 30) +25. Ward against a type of severe weather phenomenon, such as gale force wind
Bind Wound (CrCo 10) +23
Sense of the Redcap's Well-being (InCo 20) +12. Sense all useful information about a body
Actual Eyes of an Eagle (MuCo(An) 5) +23
Arcane Senses of the Cat (MuCo 5) +25. Tethered
Shape of the Majestic Eagle (MuCo(An) 25) +23. Tethered
Footsteps of the Undine (ReCo 10) +27. Tethered
Transporting the Tending Turb (ReCo 50) +27
Circle of Harvest in a Day (CrHe 25) +21. Bring a plant to maturity in a single day or night
Arcane Instincts of the Forest (InHe 5) +11
Coat of Arcane Comfort (Cr(Pe)Ig 5) +23. Tethered
Palm of Flame (CrIg 5) +24
Arcane Lantern (CrIg 15) +24.
Major Ward Against Heat and Flames (ReIg 35) +28
Projecting the Arcane Council member (Re(In)Im 15) +11
The Crystal Dart (Mu(Re)Te 10) +23
A Window of Singular Direction (MuTe 15) +23
The Well Trodden Path (ReTe 10) +25. Tethered
Tingling Hand of the Gift (InVi 15) +11. Side Effect: Forces Turbulence roll
Wizard's Day of Communion (MuVi 25) +23
Unravelling the Fabric of Vim (PeVi 10) +20
Monthly Maintenance of the Demanding Spell (ReVi 20) +25. Harnessed, Tethered
Minute of Arcane Seal (ReVi 40) +25
Monthly Maintenance of the Demanding Spell (ReVi 40) +28, Mastery 3 (imperturbable casting, adaptive casting, stalwart casting).
Minute of Reckoning (ReVi 50) +25. Also on levels 5, 10, 20, 30

Proserpinus
White cat
Characteristics: Int +3, Per +1, Pre 0, Com 0, Str -7, Sta 0, Dex +3, Qik +4
Size: -3
Soak: 1
Magic Might: 13
Cord Scores: Gold +3, Silver 0, Bronze +2
Familiar Powers: Magic Theory 8 (enchanting items)