Anulus Connectens: Magi of Hermes Covenant

No!! did you see my post mentioned the third period.

I'm still saving a season or three from Andreva's first period to develop something in exchange for a longevity ritual from Bausas.

I did. But since I was looking at the first 15 years, I thought I would mention it. 3rd period is still a while off.

Magical heating? Seriously, ask nicely and promise not to be a terrible person just might do that.
Oh, and you'd be expected to assist him in the lab, ofcourse.

Janus has already taken care of magical heating. I looked through the lab chapter and thought about what Andreva could do and saw that she could without too much trouble give your lab superior construction and or spotless. Then I saw that Janus had already done those as well.

Andreva could provide a pallet for a lab feature contributing to a specialization in creo or corpus
she could do a pretty killer statue for a greater or lesser laboratory feature with corpus (She cold also do a grave or a cage but those don't seem Bausus' style)
she could craft an antechamber for a spells specialization.

She could craft an enchanted device to make any of those above things appear or disappear as needed, giving Bausas the lab feature but making it a free virtue and thus not take up extra seasons to integrate it in to his lab.

Alternately if she really pushed her lab schedule and she had a lab text she could learn "The Laboratory of Bonisagus" which is a ninth magnitude ritual to give a lab Flawless Equipment and Flawless Tools, (and Spotless) but, without upkeep, these things will fade.

and she could, in addition, promise to be virtuous, say please with sincerity, and of course add her MT +int to the total as a lab assistant.

For all of us? Excellent!

Any of these would be awesome!
The antechamber perhaps slightly less so, but only slightly.
I also need a Labyrinth at some point.

Even better!

Much less interesting to be honest.

It's a deal then!
Magic Theory 5, Int +3, correct? That should give a Labtotal of 51, for a hefty +11 to aging. Very nice.

At some point around year 20 Janus would like Basuas to invent Longevity for Janus. His help in the lab would amount to +15 or so, including Inventive Genius.
And if course Janus pays with his assistance for another project or will make some device for Basuas.

second post on this page catnip & garlic

Ok then.

Which of the upgrades that Janus has in his laboratory are available to all of the characters? Exactly what actions does it take to integrate the upgrades via the laboratory personalization rules?

I don't actually kow. I mean, Janus spends time (and vis) to build the devices and therefor gets the Virtue a device may correspond to, or another bonus, with no need to install the virtue.

As for the other magi? It would seem prudent to have them spend a season per virtue or bonus in order to integrate it, but the effects take no space and have no cost. But should it be a season per device, per bonus or per affect? The lesser devices each give one single virtue or bonus. But the invested device? I'm thinking one season per separate effect - and I think each effect only gives one bonus, so it should be easy to administre.

I'm going to edit Janus' lab to add the data for what kind of bonus each device gives.

So, about Aegis of the Hearth - what are we going to do?
Should we get ahold of a "Day of Communion" and if so, at what level? 30?

In the year 16-30 should it be a goal for us to get Communion?
I think getting lab texts for common spells like Communion or Aegis. Janus can easily invent a lvl 30 Communion form text without grinding Arts, although he isn't very good at casting it. He is likely to raise his Vim from 5 to 8 or 10 during the next period.
He needs a good deal more Arts study if he is to invent one from scratch.

I found the relevant rules om page 112 of covenants:

Free virtues are gained in matter of a day or two

Bausas has a level 20 version by year 15, with 9+dice penetration IIRC.
If we're going to use the communion, we should probably all do so - if all 4 of use learn A Day of Communion at level 25, that will allow us to cast a level 30 Aegis as if it was a level 8 (30/4, round up) spell, and so having a decent-ish penetration. How about making that a desired target for year 30?

Yup. Do we assume we have the lab text or is someone going to invent it for us and share the text?

Hector will take time to get a MuVi lab total of 30 as he doesn't do much Muto yet...I should be able to make it for year 30 though.

About halfway through year 16-30 Janus has a MuVi lab total of 40. Not enough to invent a lvl 25 Communion from scratch but more than enough if we have a lab text.

So I'll assume we have a lvl 25 lab text. At higher levels Janus would struggle with casting it anyway.

What issues do you want to have the magi deal with in years 15-30?

I see that Janus is already done through +30 but I'm going to wait until Bausas and Hector are up at +15 before I go forward myself.

Once I have a few ideas I don't find developing my magus all that hard or time consuming. Even if it's for 15 years.

Sorry about racing ahead. I'll pull the brakes a bit.

The issues I've seen for Janus and the covenant has been the same as the year 1-15: Building and improving the covenant. Many of the devices good for comfort also save on servants as well as consumables like fuel plus less waste on provision.
A lot of ideas still come to my mind but Janus' time went very fast with getting to 5 in all arts. This way of distributing exp makes this process very time consuming. With 30 exp per year it's only 2 Arts from 0 to 5 per year. Good Roots for Arts should be at least L5 Q15 or even L7 Q28.
Anyway I have more ideas for comfort health and economy. Janus will look into CrAn T:Circle to bring animals to maturity in a day. Plus some Animal Craft Magic devices.
Plus maybe the old favourite "Silverware of the Wastrel" from Through the Aegis.

What page is that on? I need a CrTe frippery or my Maga to practice on.

Bob

I feel a tad odd to be asking this now but...what are the Covenant's Boons & Hooks? The resources are kind of important too, but may be a limiting factor in the Magi's advancement (though it may also make inventing certain spells easier; such as having common lab texts like Aegis of the Hearth and Wizard's Communion that almost every covenant is expected to have).

The device is Armoire of Excess, the power is Silverware of the Wastrel.
It's in the Collem Leonis covenant page 156-157.
The device creates a lot of silverware for eating and serving. It was originally used by a Verditius magus in an old 4th ed saga. The idea was so good I used it there.

We've been deliberately vague about the covenant in an attempt to be useful to many and not use too specific and special concepts and setups.
So we did not specify any Boons and Hooks. Nor have we specified and lab texts but assume to have access to common ones. And which are common? We each decide as need be. Janus has only used text for Wizard's Day of Communion.

We Intended for a broad, common concept as Vanilla as possible. And to have minor issues with economy and building the covenant, mundane diplomacy, dealing with a local faerie or monster etc. be dealt with by way of our magi''s activities.
Perhaps this is not very clear yet? The economy and covenant building is something Janus has worked with, as well as setting the stage for a Mercer house.
Other things may be more clear once all 4 magi are posted.