Anulus Connectens: Magi of Hermes Covenant

Except me, I'll leave 4 seasons.

What if the theme for Year 76-90 is two-pronged?

The start-off point is a trading post in North Africa established at a place of value and strategic importance perhaps, based on the exploration of the magnificant ship built and equipped during the last period.
This place is located in foreign lands, in foreign culture and in foreign climate. So perhaps there are some useful spells and devices to be made for this? Does 'Thoughts Within Babble' still exist? Otherwise we want to impress and bribe the local ruler and important merchants - I'm thinking some artistic magic plus Mentem would do wonders here.

Soon after settling the idea Erik proposed about a powerful faerie stealing something very important from us is on.

And the journey into the desert and to a hostile faerie regio has a lot of other effects we could invent.

How about that? Something for everyone I should think.

As for the effect to allow the ship to sail the desert, Erik raised a good question: Does it really need the Aquam requisite, or would MuTe suffice?
I'm against requisite inflation, and IIRC MuTe allows you to change properties of dirt/stone/etc with no limits posed. A MuTe(Aq) effect sounds to me that it would literally turn the stone into water! A Spell example to try and deduce things from is for instance 'Ink of the Noblest Metals' which is MuTe(Aq) and turns metals into (fluid) ink to write with...so it does seem like Aquam req is called for. The MuTe Base 3 guideline does mention requisites. The lower level guidelines don't cover things like that. I'd say yes to Aq req.

No worries, Janus can easily pull it off as a lesser device. He doesn't mind - he like doing things like that.

Is MuTe(Aq) the only option for the effect posited?

I'm thinking ReTe might be worth looking at - think something along the lines of a controlled Crest of the Earth Wave (ReTe 20, core book pg. 156) spell.

So, something along the lines of a wave of earth and rock carrying the ship forward? Hmmm, maybe that could work. For earth at least, I'm not sure about solid rock...maybe such an effect needs a Muto req anyway? However Janus is better with Rego than Muto, and his Lab is a lot better at this.

What puts me off of this method a bit is that it is more natural to have the earth behave as an ocean, so most of the effects already in place for the ship also works. If it already has good sailing wind the ship does not need to be carried along on a earthen wave. However Crest of the earth Wave is a really nice effect to hinder and combat land-based opposition...Didn't Janus already invent such a device way back?

So...Tellus mentioned in the Basuas thread that he envisions Basuas retiring after year +76-90.

Are we nearing the end of this project?
Maybe, we seem to have difficulties finding good themes for projects for new 15 year periods. I mean I could propably find more things for Janus to do, but is it still interesting?
This "More Magi of Hermes" project has almost run for ½ a year. Do we do more? Do we pause? Do we find another project to do some time? Did we achieve what we wanted? Did it work ok?

Reply in your own time people. I know Tellus is knee deep in Sub Rosa material. Darkwing comes and goes. We haven't heard from ROF for a good while.

Now, I think this project was fun. I got to explore a concept of a covenant builder I had previously tried in a saga I had to leave due to time constrains. Although unofficial and even less tried and tested than the MoH book there is now a magus Mercere among the developed examples. Janus was quite efficient, but in hindsight he wasn't all that interesting - lab rats are better done as Verditii. Maybe he should have explored the Muntantum concept more, but that would have made him a totally different kind og magus Mercere, and the Muntantum mechanics hurt my brain :wink:
We did it like MoH was done, but at times I found the very abstract concepts and loose setting irritating. In actual sagas we're used to dealing with more specific things.
If I were to do another magus-development-project I would vote for taking a specific Tribunal book as backdrop, it would give much more mundane and Hermetic politics to interact with. Perhaps start out as young magi in one of the developed covenants from Through the Aegis? Could this work? Would it be fun and/or useful?

Edit (addition): I'm thinking more descriptions and fiction, in addition to the development of the character concerning Abilities, Arts, lab projects etc. This way I can envision changes to Personality Traits and achieving/spending Confidence.
Perhaps one should even use the "Solo Play" mechanics recently posted and commented here?

I'm all for stopping here, as the 76-90 would probably involve a huge amount of thought for new spells and new direction to take.

In terms of next projects: Non-hermetic would be interesting - I've done a couple of vitkir at starting level and wouldn't mind seeing where "Vitkir of Odin" or "the border Hreppar" (group of Hedge Magi as detailed in Rival Magi to oppose Muspelli and evil magi and trolls) would go.

"Sahir of Suleiman" would be an excellent project, but would require several hours of Jinn creation (from RoP:M or RoP:F) every time an ungifted sahir tries to master the next magnitude up.

I find the biggest problem with Hermetic magi trying to create new spell effects that others haven't already done to death repeatedly and keep it interesting. If we wanted Hermetic magi, I'd suggest either Original Researchers (detailing all the spells and items invented while creating new research), or Mystery Cultists - the ones from HoH:MC show interesting mysteries that need illustrating with working spells (like Theriomancy and Sensory magic for Bjornaer, or the different Merinita ranges and targets) or showing how they combine with the mysteries (mixing spells with the Inner Heartbeast, or how they link up with Criamon Paths, or how grandiose Verditius items can get). The mystery cults from TMRE offer several routes to immortality and some interesting effects, but immortality and Hermetic Architecture seem (in my experience) to require huge lab totals to work, but maybe between our combined genius we can work out cool effects as we go along?

I'm planning to do the years 75-90. I'm not forcing anyone to continue though, nor to stop with me.
Erik: if you want to take Andreva to year 135, I'll try to continue to find something useful to offer.

This would be very convenient for me, since my home saga is likely to feature one of more vitkir in the reasonably near future.
And for a while after that.

This seems like a very interesting project to me, but I'm not sure if anyone else would care.
And as mentioned, there's a bit of overhead in the form of Jinn.

I could end or at least pause after 76-90 (I've been thinking a bit about her and I have a direction and effects I'm comfortable with for 76-90)

In the Ranulf thread it took me over 2 years to go from 60-120 and even sat that rate I think that 76-90 looks different than the rest of the character because I didn't think it through enough first. Adelbert took me an entire year to go from apprenticeship to 120 so that's about this rate. I don't think I'd want to go faster.

I didn't find that to be the case for Andreva, but she was designed with a few new themes that I think were under-explored. I think the magical focus virtue helped a lot even if she didn't use it as much as I had expected. If when I do hermetic magi again I'd still want to have a way of doing things (this character will accomplish as much as possible with spells involving sparrows) and a thing to do that hasn't been done to death (the character will focus on items that assist large scale agriculture concerns).

Was having all of the magi contribute magical outfittings for a ship in 61-75 a hindrance in that we all were filling up your conceptual space?

The original open call for magi of hermes said something along the lines of "you can have the character learn spells from other material if you absolutely have to" for me that's actually what makes it enjoyable, I'm less interested in doing the numbers if I don't get to use the numbers to make something new.

I haven't ever really looked carefully at the research rules but I concur that filling out spells and devices to leverage mystery cult virtues is something where there's a lot of unexplored ground.

I have some ideas for Janus for Year 76-90 regarding a desert-sailing ship. Some but not a lot, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

But apart from that I don't envision Janus doing anything revolutionary, much of his time would be spent in study, re-creating effects (like duplicate Hermes Portals) and teaching apprentices.

No non-Hermetic traditions come to my mind as something I really want to explore. Maybe something Infernal? Just for the hell of it...

Mystery Cult stuff might be interesting, to explore the special parameters and such some of these grant acces to. IIRC MoH explores some of the Faerie Range/Duration/Targets.

Original Research might be interesting, or Integration? But this seems even more of a mathematical exercise than our MMoH and with fewer useful spell and device examples perhaps?

What about the Road/Road Network R/Ts from the Neo-Mercurian section of TMRE? Boosting might work well with T:Road and I'm sure there are some cute tricks you can pull off with ring roads and roads are important to Redcaps now and then.

Yes, the Road things are cool.
It was a serious issue for me to decide between a Mercurian or a Mutantum magus Mercere to develop. Many years ago I toyed with the idea of a traveling merchant Mercere concept. And being able to affect whole roads could be nice for moving wagons around and so on.
But I went another way with Janus, to make him a stay at home supporter to improve the covenant and boost travelers to make them want to return.

However the Mercurian Road things could be a nice idea for an "Even More Magi of Hermes" project.

Are we decided on this then for our last period?

If so, thinking about Andreva's strengths, she will create and item to protect the ship against sandstorms and perhaps an item to move obscenely large amounts of sand into different shapes. this could work to make ramps of sand or bridges of sand to cross rocky areas and, if we're lucky, it might function with Janus' "make sand act as water" device to send a titanic wave of sand crashing down upon targets.

Well, you and I seem to be able to continue. Tellus and Darkwing sound like they vote for stopping. And we haven't heard from ROF in a while.

I think we should view a sandstorm as a huge amount of sand rather than a weather phenomenon, so it's purely ReTe without Au req. I was thinking a Terram effect as closely designed to Break the Oncoming Wave. I had also thought about such an effect, and I think Janus can also pull that off.

Moving around huge amounts of sand to make useful shapes seems cool. I'm guessing T:Part with size modifiers. Janus already invented - many years ago - devises with beefed up versions of the large and violent Terram effects: Creeping CHasm, Earth Shock etc.

Janus' plans for sailing on land will change both sand and rock into water, so rocky areas and so are no problems, although sailing up a mountain slope has challenges of a different kind...Good thing Janus has a device to ensure good sailing wind :wink:

Although chasms and canyons could pose a problem to cross - so the effects suggested above for bridges of sand sound like a solution.

Janus may invent an effect to create a large, low hanging cloud which follows the ship in order to give shade.

Because of the Defienciency in Intellego Janus dares not rely on finding water, also you can only find what is there! So I'll look into transforming water into small, hard, easily stored and moved objects - like cubes of stone.

If I could clarify for a moment:
I'm not voting for stopping. I'm simply stating that I cannot keep Bausas consistent without him leaving for a house clutch in about 15 years.
It is entirely up to you if this is the last period or not in general, but it is for Bausas.
That is the entirety of my statement.

I think a pause at least is in order (pauses often do turn into stoppages, but we have our email group to gather the troops again when appropriate).

Andreva's concept was about clever, not necessarily violent, use of her sword focus and the creation/ utilization of underground spaces. This period instead of that she's focusing on being capable of killing other magi and avoiding being killed by other magi. Now this is not heavily at odds with the characterization and, for me at least, ground I've never really trod in this way before so I'm not apologizing, but if I had more and better underground space and sword ideas I would probably be doing them instead. I'll want a few months to let my supply of ideas recover.

Good points Erik
For my part I think at this moment I've done all or most of what I can or want with Janus. A pause is not likely to yield me new Ideas, since I might find some other project. But If we want to pick it up again I don't think I'll have any problems continuing from where I stopped.

Was the plan to archive these Magi at various stages of their careers on Project Redcap?

Bob

I don't think we ever talked about that. But we might as well.

Excellent idea.

So, we're doing YEar +76-90, and then taking a pause from which some of the magi may return?

And we're doing the 'ship of the desert' theme? Tracking a powerful Faerie who stole our McGuffin across sun baked wastes, forcer our way into his or her lair/regio and taking it back?

Is it just that, or are we expanding to also include settling an outpost in a foreign city, interacting with locals, schmoozing rulers etc? I added that idea to better include some non-physical opportunities. So in addition to battling the elements there can also be elements of diplomacy, mental manipulatuion, artistic endeavours etc. Or is the first thing enough?