Anulus Connectens: Magi of Hermes Covenant

This works for me

What about the rest of the questions?
I was wondering whether Basuas and Saoirse can find some worthwhile projects for just the sand-sailing ship?

Still working on this

I think that the schmoozing outpost set up is a great idea that Andreva doesn't have time to do. If no one does it this period I can have Andreva put some effort in to it in the next period (If there is one).

It could be a rather natural follow up: This period we chase a powerful faerie across a desert to win back out McGuffin which he or shoe nefariously stole. In the next period we make a permanent settlement in a coastal town, where we need to adapt to local customs and environment, interact with local rulers etc. So it seems a Year +91-105 is already lined up.

Well Erik, if you're game so am I. I'm quite busy at work now, started a new job in May and we have a huge project, but sommer holidays are coming up in the horizon. So if we take things slow them Andreva and Janus can continue Anulens Connectens for another 15 years, and then we'll see.

While we haven't heard from him in a while the character is up to 75 years out of apprenticeship. (In 27 posts, 9 of which were mine, that's really fast, my thread is at 322 posts and I've only gone 2 years more. I envy his efficiency).

I've corresponded with ROF and he is all fine and good. I filled him in on what we expect do to, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has Saroire +76-90 done soon, nor if eh decides to join Erik and myself for another period.

I've started a little with Janus, listing some effects he may want to make. Some of them are for his Familiar and not yet fully designed. Alongside the "Sailing Gaia's Back" effect to enable the ship to sail on land I'm fiddling with a Terram version of "Break the Oncoming Wave" to protect against sandstorms or unnaturally controlled waves of sand and stone. Not too hard for Janus to pull off.
I have some ideas regarding transforming water into small, easily stackable objects.

Let's keep an eye on one another's threads to make sure that we don't duplicate each other, at least uninentionally.

Alexander of Jerbiton (Timothy's character in the first chapter of Magi of Hermes) does spells that transform water into objects easily carried. After you do your own spell you might want to check out his for to see how you interpreted the guidelines.

Yeah, I know you talked about having Andreva considering a spell or effect to ward against sandstorms.
But then I realized what I actually wanted was a Terram duplicate of "Break the Oncoming Wave", and then it turned out to be soooo easy for Janus...

I read some of these effects through last night, I haven't look at Alexander for a long time. Quite interesting spells he has.

Although I'm not really sure about the size changes his designs include. Just because it was published in Magi of Hermes it doesn't mean there are no flaws. The core book magic guidelines are not completely clear about this matter, except for Muto Terram - which I illustrated in my previous example.

But 'Stance of the Patient Tree' does not need a Size mod to turn a human into a 12 feet high tree with a 1 foot trunk. Is this a flaw?
Base Ind for Herbam is " a plant roughly 1 pace in each direction" - so is such a tree stil within this limit? If 1 pace = 3 feet then 1 cubic pace = 27 cubic feet. A tree trunk 12 feet high 1 foot diamater is less then 12 cubic feet, leaving 15 cubic feet of material for branches...sounds to me this is still an Ind without size modifiers. IMHO if you wanted to become a humongeous giant oak you'd need size modifiers!

'Cloak of Black Feathers' transforms a human into a small bird. No need for size modifiers here ever.

'Cloak of Mist' turns a human into a human-sized patch of mist. This spell breaks my line of reasoning because an Ind for Auram a weather phenomenon easily 100 paces across. Why smaller? Well, 'Cloak of Black Feathers' doesn't turn you into a man-sized raven, but a normal raven rather. It doesn't increase size. 'Stance of the Patient Tree' actually does make you bigger, but still just into a natural (although small) tree, not a sapling but a grwon tree. Following Muto Corpus explanations a child affected by this spell actually would become a sapling. As for the mist, it is not a natural mist phenomenon you turn into, it is a highly unnatural one - I mean you can move! And unnatural materials tend to be smaller than natural ones. Plus transforming into a bank of mist 100 paces in diameter is...inconvenient at best.

I seriously doubt the 5th ed designer took all this into account, so I believe I'm post-rationalizing and finding patterns. But a lot of this does make sense to me.
IMHO a Muto spell needs to obey some rules regarding the size of things changed both from and into. MuTe guidelines support this, but the example only mentions transforming earth to gems, so a large/cheap substance into a small/valauable one.
What happens if you change a base Ind gem (1 cubic inch) into earth? Does it become a normal Individual's worth of earth - 10 cubic paces? Sucks to be the nobleman wearing diamond rings on all his fingers!

Bumping this while Andreva and Janus are updating. See page 1 of the thread for links to individual magi threads.

IIRC at the beginning of the 76-90 period the characters took some time to help each other with longevity rituals.

Four seasons in fact
Bausas made a ritual for Janus assisted by Andreva, Janus, Grace (Andrava's familiar), and Callidus (Bausas's Familiar)
Bausas made a ritual for Andreva assisted by Andreva, Janus, Grace (Andrava's familiar), and Callidus (Bausas's Familiar)
Bausas made a ritual for Hector assisted by Saoirse', Hector, Grace (Andrava's familiar), and Callidus (Bausas's Familiar)
Bausas made a ritual for Saoirse' assisted by Saoirse', Hector, Grace (Andrava's familiar), and Callidus (Bausas's Familiar)

Here: https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/anulus-connectens-bausas/10511/117 Tellus told us that Bausas' relevant lab total (including help from Callidus) was 96

Hector and Saoirse' never made it (or perhaps haven't yet made it) to the 76-90 period so I can't compute their scores, but using the +75 characters for the start of the 76 -90 period Andreva and Janus end up with applicable lab totals of 140 without the addition of more vis. This produces an adjustment of -28, or with a single additional pawn of vis -29, on aging rolls.

I'm going to finish off Andreva's 76-90 period so I needed the number and I thought that I'd post it here.

thank you.

Hooray! We have now got several of the magi of Anulus Connectens to 90 years past gauntlet, and the project feels complete as everyone's run out of interesting ideas to extend their magi. (Thanks for finishing off Hector, as I was running low on ideas at 75 years!)

Links to each mage's thread can be found on page 1 of this thread. Is it worth putting links to particular mage ages, or compiling them all into a document?

Back in 2016, we vaguely mentioned doing hedge magi or vitkir as a follow-up. It's been a while, so we probably all have different areas of Ars we're interested in now, but does anyone want to participate in a new project?

Doing the same with a hedgie of some sort sounds interesting. But it'll require me to read up on a bunch of them to actually know enough to choose one. I have no big or important projects going on, just a bunch of small ones I go to and from. It might be doable.

Sure. but I don't have a strong concept in mind right now.

I suppose that there is no hope of getting a 90 year version of Bausas or Saoirse'?

Working on Hector was really my pleasure,(but even so the thanks was very nice to read).

I think so. I also think that it would be useful to collect the enchanted device descriptions into one place.

That is going to be one gigantic list!
I think I have Janus' devices in various txt files by each period. That should easily compile into one big list.

I know but if one wants to use Anulus Connectens as either an NPC covenant or an example of what a covenant of a given age looks like, the lists would be really useful.

Collecting this information would potentially be really useful.

For the designers of Anulus Connectens covenant:
I've compiled a google doc with all Janus' custom spells and devices (even though he may not have made all lab texts available for others).
I've tried to share this doc with Tellus, Erik Tyrell, darkwing, and ROF, so you can plot your own spells/devices in there.